Alfa 147 Speakers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 06-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Garage
Alfa 147 Speakers

Hi all,

Since getting my 147 about 3 months ago, I've been doing all of the little things that needed doing. So far I have:

- Replaced all four discs and pads
- Replaced all four tyres
- Repainted the brake callipers
- Replaced the oil and filter
- Installed a bluetooth unit with a stealthily routed microphone
- Replaced the badges all round

I have a couple of things to do soon, but think they could be easily ticked off together. I have a new check strap for my passenger door, and know that I need to remove the door card to fit it, but I would also like to change the speakers.

I have found some speakers that seem good, but I do not know whether they are appropriate as there is no stated impedance. If someone could let me know what I should be looking for/whether these will work, I would be most appreciative.

The speakers are these FLI Audio FI6 16.5cm 3 Way Coaxial Speakers

Thanks in advance,
Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning699 View Post
Hi all,

Since getting my 147 about 3 months ago, I've been doing all of the little things that needed doing. So far I have:

- Replaced all four discs and pads
- Replaced all four tyres
- Repainted the brake callipers
- Replaced the oil and filter
- Installed a bluetooth unit with a stealthily routed microphone
- Replaced the badges all round

I have a couple of things to do soon, but think they could be easily ticked off together. I have a new check strap for my passenger door, and know that I need to remove the door card to fit it, but I would also like to change the speakers.

I have found some speakers that seem good, but I do not know whether they are appropriate as there is no stated impedance. If someone could let me know what I should be looking for/whether these will work, I would be most appreciative.

The speakers are these FLI Audio FI6 16.5cm 3 Way Coaxial Speakers

Thanks in advance,
Henry
If you have the BOSE system I believe that impedance is 2ohm. Standard system is 4ohm. The speakers (standard version anyway) are components so co axial may not be much of an upgrade for you. You might get a better resonse in the ICE lounge as there is quite a bit of info there
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

For my door speakers (non bose) i needed an adapter surround, so my new alpine speakers would fit in the hole. About £20 a pair i recall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 07-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtv160 View Post
If you have the BOSE system I believe that impedance is 2ohm. Standard system is 4ohm. The speakers (standard version anyway) are components so co axial may not be much of an upgrade for you. You might get a better resonse in the ICE lounge as there is quite a bit of info there
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
For my door speakers (non bose) i needed an adapter surround, so my new alpine speakers would fit in the hole. About £20 a pair i recall.
Hi both,

Thanks for the replies. I tried to find the impedance of the stereo from one of the other threads that I read some time ago, but couldn't find it, so thank you for that GTV. I'll post up in the ICE forum if I don't make any headway over the next couple of days.

t3yls, thanks for the information. Did you find that your speakers made a difference with the stock non-bose head unit? I don't want to spoil the standard look, and don't want to change the head unit, so hopefully just the speaker upgrade will satisfy me.
I plan on using the the adapters that you can find online, as the new speakers (regardless of size) are unlikely to be the same depth and have the same mounting holes as the stock speakers. Did you fit both front and rear speakers, and if so, which do you think made the most difference?

Thanks both,
Henry
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

First i changed the head unit to alpine. Better but not great. Then i changed the front speakers to alpine. Better again, but still not great. The rear speakers can only be accessed by removing the rear seats and apparently is a pig of a job, so i've left them alone.

Then i added a subwoofer, with integrated amp, in the boot ....ah, thats what was missing ...some bass! It just sounded naff, without any bass. It was the smallest sub i could find in halfords, less than £100 but makes a world of difference to non bose setup.

(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 15-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
First i changed the head unit to alpine. Better but not great. Then i changed the front speakers to alpine. Better again, but still not great. The rear speakers can only be accessed by removing the rear seats and apparently is a pig of a job, so i've left them alone.

Then i added a subwoofer, with integrated amp, in the boot ....ah, thats what was missing ...some bass! It just sounded naff, without any bass. It was the smallest sub i could find in halfords, less than £100 but makes a world of difference to non bose setup.

That sounds good, but I think I may try to do the rear speakers before I take up some of my boot space. Unfortunately I often have things in the boot for work, so rear speakers would be better for me.

Thanks for letting me know. If I have no luck with my rear speakers, I'll have a look for a nice compact sub.
AO Member

County: -Greece
Hello. Good to know i am not the only one to refurbish my Alfa 147!
Now i am too about to change the central radio/cd factory unit and my 2 front speakers are not playing well the bass (prrrrr prrr) . So i would listen to any proposal for main unit and speakers (i have the standard sound system).

Only thing is that i like the redish lights of the central radio/cd system (that matches with the other night inside lights).

Unfortunately i cant spare any space for subwoofer as i need the boot space.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng
Garage
MANY modern head units can change their colour to match your interior for not serious money:
DEH-X6500BT - CD Receiver with MIXTRAX?, Bluetooth®, USB Control for iPod®/iPhone®, and Pandora® Ready | Pioneer Electronics USA

You can get the steering wheel controls adapter too:
Pioneer Adapter FOR Steering Wheel Remote Control FOR Alfa 147 BJ Until 2007 | eBay
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

I've got some Edge Components front and back with the adapters for the 147 that I am no longer using. Might stick them on Ebay along with a wiring kit and Edge 7800 amp.

Don't need it with the 166 as it comes with a decent Becker unit and two subs built in anyway.
AO Member

County: -Greece
Front speakers of my Alfa 147 are also hard to be replaced. You need to first take off the whole interior door to reach to the speaker! Damn thats a pain..
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Most italian car's you need to remove the door card.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Rear ones are much worse.

(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 23-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by omonos View Post
Front speakers of my Alfa 147 are also hard to be replaced. You need to first take off the whole interior door to reach to the speaker! Damn thats a pain..
Whilst it looks like a massive faff, it only took me 30 minutes (that includes the check strap too) for the first side, and then 15 for the second side. The hardest part was soldering my new speaker connections to the short stock cables!

Quote:
Rear ones are much worse.

Yeah, I have seen that the rear ones are bad. Changing the front speakers has made the sound much more balanced, with the front speakers now providing the bass that the stock ones were providing, as well as the mids and highs that you would expect.

I'll probably get round to doing the rear ones, but not quite yet, I'm happy at the moment.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , alfa , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page