147 jtd 16v m-jet - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-08-16 Thread Starter
County: kent

Member car:

Question 147 jtd 16v m-jet

Hi, Brand new to this site ............ just about to buy my first Alfa in 30 years (used to have a bright yellow AlfaSud way back when i was young), I am in negotiations for a 147 1.9 jtd 16v m-jet 2005 (150 bhp - i think)

it has a 6 sped manual box, red leather interior, 3 pot (what i think are) cloverleaf alloys ...... etc.

what am i looking for that could cost bundles as this has been stored for a year on hard stand so flat battery, no mot etc.

its cheap but i still don't want to buy a problem.

but my heart is smitten on it.

its just a thing of beauty that needs love (and cash probably) ........where are the problem areas to look for.

and which model had the red leather interior (turismo, lusso, ....).

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
I think any model could be specified with leather. The "Turismo" or "Lusso" badges are usually on the bottom edge of the front wings just in front of the doors. Lusso usually got steering wheel controls for the audio.
AO Member
County: Dorset
Don't know about Diesel engines but suspension wise look out for creaks under the dash (upper wishbone bushes), creaks under floor pan (lowers) and clunk under the pedals (ARB bushes). At the back creaks/knocks may be transverse arm bushes or hub bushes. Drive slowly along a bumpy road.

There should be some info under buying guide. I think alfaworkshop has some guides.
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
To be honest if the car has been stood for a year the least of your worries are whether it is Turismo or Lusso. There isn't a huge difference between the two but with those wheels and leather it sounds like a Lusso.

Rust will be the killer of these but, hopefully, a 2005 won't be too bad. The worst structural place for rust is the rear of the floor pan each side. There are semicircular flaps about 20mm circumference cut for water drain holes no longer used for that purpose but still in the floor. They rust here beneath the underseal and it really isn't visible and a poke with a screw driver is the only way to really find it.

I have done a search for photos but couldn't find any good ones but if you google "alfa 145 floor rust corrosion" you will see some photos of a 145 that rust in exactly the same way as the 147. It really is identical across the rear of the floor pan just in front of the fuel tank. Also the rear of the front chassis rails under the car where the drivers and front passenger feet would be can suffer but this area is usually started by someone jacking the car here and damaging the underseal / paint and rust starting due to that.

AO Silver Member
County: Johannesburg
I would've thought the cambelt would be the first thing to check. When was it last done? Was the water pump changed at the same time?

My list would be (taking into account that we don't really have problems with rust in South Africa) cambelt and waterpump, check the oil cooler and pipes for any leaks, is the turbo noisy and/or smokey, suspension as the chaps mentioned, turbo/intercooler hoses, does it smoke heavily when it's driven (an easy telltale for leaking turbo hoses and/or a sick turbo) and the clutch and DMF.

My love/hate relationship with my 147 JTDm chiefly centres around the flipping clutch. They all get a heavy pedal at some stage. Even after mine had a new master and slave cylinder, clutch plate and DMF the pedal only stayed light for a few months.

On some cars the pedal will be light when it's cold and will get heavier as it gets hotter and with use. It could also have a 'clickey' action as the actuator rod binds in it's bottom bush.

Also listen out for a 'rattley' DMF. A tiny bit of rattle on low speed, uphill pull aways shouldn't be world ending in my opinion but if it rattles whenever you pull away it's on its way out. It'll sound a bit like a rattle snake in a cowboy film as you let the pedal out. There's tons of heavy JTD clutch pedal threads on here so familiarise yourself with the common clutch issues.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 16v , jtd , mjet