147 1.9 JTD 16V - missing oil cooler - problem? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Platinum Member
Yes I'm sure there are many mechanics in Bulgaria that could fit an off-the-self aftermarket oil cooler rad for very little cost.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #27 of 29 Old 07-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Originally Posted by Yorkshirekeith View Post
You can't buy the Alfa fittings on their own and the genuine Alfa pipes cost the best part of 100 each.
Buying the alfa cooler ( known for rotting around the bottom corners ) means you will need to buy the alfa pipe as well.
Both these items are known to fail ( the most likely reason yours has been removed ) so buying either from the breakers is a risky fix.
Many Alfas have the under tray missing, it's not ideal but many carry on with no ill effects you just need to rust protect and grease everything a bit more often, but undertrays can be had for about 28 on E bay and whilst they aren't the originals they will protect the lower fittings adequately.
Sorry, I failed to understand the fittings on the end of the OEM alfa rad are what is specific . I thought the oil filter fittings were the expensive and odd ones, not the ones that connect to the rad. In that case, If I were to find an entire unit with the pipes ,which I can just cut and ,using hose joiners or the hydraulic company, join the hoses with the fittings on my oil filter?
Or is that all too much of a hassle and it'll probably break since they are a weak point, maybe going your initially suggested route would be smarter?

Originally Posted by David C View Post
Yes I'm sure there are many mechanics in Bulgaria that could fit an off-the-self aftermarket oil cooler rad for very little cost.
Will talk tomorrow in the morning with my mechanic and update you all.

Last edited by tishobg; 07-08-16 at 20:27.
AO Gold Member
County: Down in the Park
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
Can we read the oil temp from the ecu on the 147/GT? ....i'm thinking we can't.

I wonder how close coolant temp is, against oil temp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
far off, if there's no heat exchanger.

Oil temps are first and foremost RPM related, the higher the rpm, the higher the heat production inside the bearings is (friction between oil molecules causes this). Higher oil viscosity causes more heat again. Also, the oil in the ring pack and between he piston skirt and the cylinder wall is heated by RPM.

coolant temps are mostly influenced byload, and there's a a big cooler up front and a thermostatic valve which makes it hard to see that you're shedding more heat.

If you have an oil/coolant heat exchanger, the temps stay closer, but it's not uncommon for the oil to be 20 degrees warmer than the coolant even then. There's about 500w of possible heat transfer in the exchanger
t3yls likes this.
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
I wouldn't be so worried about it in the near future, but I would plan on fixing it eventually.

Yes, the oil is likely to run hotter than normal, if you use the car hard - if you use the car gently, it won't. Remember the car is designed to cope with all cases - including driving hard in very hot countries.

If it is hot in Bulgaria, use a heavier oil - that will fix the viscosity issues. Rather than 10W-40, use 10W-60 - this will tolerate far higher temperatures and retain viscosity. In the winter (cold in Bulgaria I think), go back to 10W-40.

Don't use cheap oil. Use decent synthetic.

When you do fix it, I'm pretty sure a standard Mocal kit, including the sandwich plate will be less than fiddling with Alfa parts.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 16v , cooler , jtd , missing , oil , problem