Just bought a Used Alfa 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 39 Old 04-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -Greece
Just bought a Used Alfa 147

Hi all,

I just bought a used Alfa 147 1.6 120hp '02 for 1200? . I drove all way down to Athens from my city Volos (about 320km) bought it from a merchant and said a prayer for my new Alfa!

Yes i know the price was good but:

1. The A/C is not working ( i drove with 36 Celsius out there!)
2. The gear clutch is heavy showing it needs renewal
3. The km menu is not working. No total km indication is showing either
4. Front driver window switch is not working.(Yes drove with no A/C or window!)
5. The roof is hanging and needs renewal
6. One A/C switch is loose and cant change air vent direction
7. Color condition is bad but luckily i saw no rust.

My question is: Do i have chance of bringing this baby to a decent condition or not?

Ps. I will update my thread as tomorrow i will visit the Alfa Romeo local authorized Service . I hope i will have good news!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
Most of those fixes are very easy. Especially the window not working. Clutch is an easy fix as well. Are gears hard to select or is the clutch just offering resistance and generally just heavy?

Maybe polishing the paint would help without repainting?

Get it to a mechanic to solve your climate and mileage issue. You can clear the window switch yourself with some isopropyl alcohol and see if it works.
(Post Link) post #3 of 39 Old 04-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hey thanks for the positive vibes! The mechanic was very negative about my car when he saw it. Possibly wanted to make me pay more than usual .It is common here in Greece.

Anyway he said tomorrow he will have a verdict for the car and the costs . The clutch is heavy when pressing and the gear shift is difficult to connect the gear. There are 2 "tromps" for the clutch as far as i know. One up and one down. The upper is very easy to replace and the down one is very very difficult. The mechanic said he will replace the upper but he was 100% sure that the down tromp will need replacement too (again tried to make more money i think)

As for the A/C the merchant told me that the air-conditioning fluid was leaking from a pipe and that is why they cant fill the system with fluid unless the pipe is replaced. I am guessing the mechanic will come up with a much "serious" problem trying to charge me more tomorrow!hehehe

But then again there are so many other mechanics out there right?

Thanks again for the help!

AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by omonos View Post
Hey thanks for the positive vibes! The mechanic was very negative about my car when he saw it. Possibly wanted to make me pay more than usual .It is common here in Greece.

Anyway he said tomorrow he will have a verdict for the car and the costs . The clutch is heavy when pressing and the gear shift is difficult to connect the gear. There are 2 "tromps" for the clutch as far as i know. One up and one down. The upper is very easy to replace and the down one is very very difficult. The mechanic said he will replace the upper but he was 100% sure that the down tromp will need replacement too (again tried to make more money i think)

As for the A/C the merchant told me that the air-conditioning fluid was leaking from a pipe and that is why they cant fill the system with fluid unless the pipe is replaced. I am guessing the mechanic will come up with a much "serious" problem trying to charge me more tomorrow!hehehe

But then again there are so many other mechanics out there right?

Thanks again for the help!
Well, if its hard to connect to a gear it could be the master cylinder (or slave dont remember), and its not very expensive. When the car heats up is the shifting okay? If still heavy then Id just replace the whole clutch, a bit costy but hey. Valeo is an okay brand and I think they came originally on the car.

Everything can be fixed its just the matter of if its worth paying less for the car and paying for the repairs.

As far as leaking AC goes, theres a special UV liquid that they pour to see if its leaking and where.

Try finding a mechanic who specializes in Alfas.

Tell me how it goes!
(Post Link) post #5 of 39 Old 04-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I will.

I am really into fixing this baby so i can enjoy my rides! Moments ago i called the merchant and he said that they changed motor back in 2009. I think thats good
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
I will.

I am really into fixing this baby so i can enjoy my rides! Moments ago i called the merchant and he said that they changed motor back in 2009. I think thats good
Well, it all depends how good the engine was when it was replaced, but it's probably pretty fine. Mine doesn't even have its original engine from a 147. It has a 156 JTD 81kW. It's been replaced 3 or so years ago, because they tried to chip the old engine and they over-did it and the engine blew up (not literally, probably). Anyhow, that's what I was told by the previous owner. Tell me what happened when you go to the mechanic.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijst View Post
Well, if its hard to connect to a gear it could be the master cylinder (or slave dont remember), and its not very expensive
Slave is INSIDE the gearbox and most likely to fail first.

They can add a dye to the a/c fluid and it shows up leaks with a U/V lamp.
(Post Link) post #8 of 39 Old 05-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Update!

The mechanic called me an hour ago:

1. A/C will be filled with fluid and 2 valves (he said those valves usually leak) will be replaced --->cost 57? .After some days i i will have to bring the car back to check the A/C system with a UV light IF the problem persists.

2. The upper "tromp" for the clutch will be changed ---> cost 70-80?

3. Driver windows switch was not working despite cleaning. He said they cant find a used one to replace it and that a new one costs a lot . I will try to find one myself

4. Km indicator and Menu cant be fixed either. He said i need a new systen (speedometer etc)

I will go and take my car back in 3 hours and see how it goes.Ofcourse i will keep you informed!

Ps. This post will from now on serve as a "diary" for my 147. Lets hope i dont have to update it with bad news..
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Update!

3. Driver windows switch was not working despite cleaning. He said they cant find a used one to replace it and that a new one costs a lot . I will try to find one myself

4. Km indicator and Menu cant be fixed either. He said i need a new systen (speedometer etc)
3. Those are pretty cheap I think.

4. Just looked up at speedometers/gauges in my town (In Bosnia), and parts are usually expensive for Alfas here, but you can find gauges for 30-50. I don't know if a gauge is all you need to get it working or there are other things needed, but thats the price for a speedometer. Good luck!
(Post Link) post #10 of 39 Old 06-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Update!

Took the car yesterday from the mechanic. He looked much more positive about the car than before. Among others he said:

1. A/C was filled and valves replaced. Unfortunately today the coolling started to get weak as expected. So the leaking was not found. I have to take it back in Monday.

2. Windows switch costs more than 200? and he cant find a used one. I am trying to order one from Italy as we speak (about 100? damn! Why are those switces so expensive?)

3 He said the car has had an accident in front and the bonnet is not straight. Also the front wheel system needs replacement (including brake disks and suspension)

4. He said that they replaced the upper clutch tromp but the problem persists so i maybe have to change the other tromp as well . He said that this way we will see the whole gear system condition too. Cost about 200?

Total cost until now 167? and A/C was not fixed .

Finally i replaced the batteries in both keys ,the tiny red light turns on when i press a button but unfortunately the car takes no remote control command to open or lock. Only the back bonnet opens from the key and that seems to not work well. So i have to check the keys too. Maybe a reset ? I will check the manual.

Km indicator still not workong and as i said the mechanic suggested i buy a new system (the whole thing) .Luckily i find many used speedometer systems online and they seem cheap.

Monday i have to:

Fix the inside roof as it is hanging (needs a day at least and about 100?)
Find the a/c leakage
Find a garage for painting the outside roof and polish the car (about 170? total)
Find the cost for the wheel system and check my tires.

Have a nice weekend Alfisti!
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Update!

Took the car yesterday from the mechanic. He looked much more positive about the car than before. Among others he said:

1. A/C was filled and valves replaced. Unfortunately today the coolling started to get weak as expected. So the leaking was not found. I have to take it back in Monday.

2. Windows switch costs more than 200? and he cant find a used one. I am trying to order one from Italy as we speak (about 100? damn! Why are those switces so expensive?)

Finally i replaced the batteries in both keys ,the tiny red light turns on when i press a button but unfortunately the car takes no remote control command to open or lock. Only the back bonnet opens from the key and that seems to not work well. So i have to check the keys too. Maybe a reset ? I will check the manual.

Have a nice weekend Alfisti!
1. Is your A/C digital or manual? Do you set the temperature or just turn the knobs left and right? If it's manual, press the snowflake button on the left knob. That will blow freezing air to you. I'm hoping you didn't know about this as then it will need no fixing.

2. Wow, that is expensive. I can't find one here that's more expensive than 40€. Sadly, these guys don't offer shipping outside of my country.

As for the batteries, I have the same problem. They used to work for unlocking/locking and bonnet, but even then it needed a lot of pressure. Now, it doesn't work at all. I have no idea what is causing this. Here are a few fixes:

1. Unlock your car. Put the key in the lock and turn it right (to lock it) and at the same time press the locking button (the middle, if I remember correctly). Do the same thing for unlocking. Unlock the car and press the upper button. Read somewhere that the synchronization can be lost between the key and the ECU I guess, and that this is a way to restore it. It works for me but only for a few minutes, after which it goes back to not working. But worth a shot if it will save you money.

2. To get a new key you will HAVE TO have the code card. If you did not get the code card with the car, you're in the same **** as I am. You can order a new one directly from Alfa Romeo (go to their service), which will take around 7 days to arrive and will cost you about 100€ (I think). However, try to find if someone in your country is offering decoding services for your car. There's a guy here who charges 25€ to decode the code (no idea how), and will give you the codes written somewhere so that you can make a new key with it. I can't get myself to go to that guy, have more important things now. Also, as we are already talking about the key etc, has it ever happened to you that the car won't start? The "Immobilizer failure" error pops up and has a key icon, and the car is just turning but won't start. I've no idea what is causing this but it always does it if the lights are turned on. Some have suggested that my battery is bad + I have xenons.

EDIT: Just read that both of your keys don't work well? Could it be a bad transmitter or something within the central/remote locking system? When you find out, please notify me!
(Post Link) post #12 of 39 Old 06-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hey thanks for the help!

Actually the a/c is manual and i know it has a leaking problem. The merchant told me before i bought the car. The problem is that the mechanic wanted to do the whole procedure from scratch (fill the system, check later for leaks with Uv light).

Now the keys both dont work so it may be the central transmitter. It is not a serious problem but hey i bought a nice car for pennies and i want to bring it back to life ! I will maybe fix it later.

The windows switch is a pain really because the driver needs to open and close his window! It seems the switch gives a signal as a sound is heard when pressed and the window is like trying to move..dont know..maybe it can be fixed after all? I will consult with an electics mechanic Monday morning.

I really have no clue where all this is taking me really with the car. It might take months to bring it back to a good condition. Dont know..Let this post be a diary of my adventures with the 147!
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
If the window switch makes a beep when moved and the window appears to want to go down but not up it's possibly not the switch but the connections between the components, mine has done exactly that a couple of times. disconnecting the battery removing the door cards, cleaning all the plug connectors and pushing the wires into them. reconnecting and switching the ignition on and leaving the car to reset it's self has mostly solved it.
your car cost 1200 what by the way. For 1200 GBP I'd want a pretty good 147 in England so I'm presuming it's not Pounds or s or you've been screwed for a front end smash with dodgey electrics you also need to check it's insurance status or did they tell you it was a Write-off when you bought it. reading this I now know the real reason your Oil Cooler was removed.
dgmayhead likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshirekeith View Post
If the window switch makes a beep when moved and the window appears to want to go down but not up it's possibly not the switch but the connections between the components, mine has done exactly that a couple of times. disconnecting the battery removing the door cards, cleaning all the plug connectors and pushing the wires into them. reconnecting and switching the ignition on and leaving the car to reset it's self has mostly solved it.
your car cost 1200 what by the way. For 1200 GBP I'd want a pretty good 147 in England so I'm presuming it's not Pounds or €s or you've been screwed for a front end smash with dodgey electrics you also need to check it's insurance status or did they tell you it was a Write-off when you bought it. reading this I now know the real reason your Oil Cooler was removed.
Ehrm, we're two different guys.
P.S. Greece uses euros, so yes, it's 1200EUR.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
your car cost 1200 what by the way. For 1200 GBP I'd want a pretty good 147 in England so I'm presuming it's not Pounds or s or you've been screwed for a front end smash with dodgey electrics you also need to check it's insurance status or did they tell you it was a Write-off when you bought it. reading this I now know the real reason your Oil Cooler was removed.
Well, I'm guessing Greece is similar to my country. I paid for mine around 2200, with a 1 year registration and 17 inch wheels, but you can't find one that's not beat up for under 2000 anyway, at least here. I'm guessing Greece has a similar situation. 1200 would be considered a steal here.
AO Member

Quote:
Well, I'm guessing Greece is similar to my country. I paid for mine around 2200, with a 1 year registration and 17 inch wheels, but you can't find one that's not beat up for under 2000 anyway, at least here. I'm guessing Greece has a similar situation. 1200 would be considered a steal here.
Well, cars in UK are cheaper as a result of RHD. A semi good example of an Alfa 147 here is too above 1500EUR.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
Well, cars in UK are cheaper as a result of RHD. A semi good example of an Alfa 147 here is too above 1500EUR.
Yeah! Sometimes I'm amazed at what 1500 can get them there. However, the insurance is pretty expensive there, as far as I'm aware.
AO Member

Quote:
Yeah! Sometimes I'm amazed at what 1500 can get them there. However, the insurance is pretty expensive there, as far as I'm aware.
Very true, I pay 80EUR a year for insurance here. With the 140HP engine too.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Very true, I pay 80EUR a year for insurance here. With the 140HP engine too.
Wow that's cheap! I pay 100 here, because I have a 50% discount, otherwise it would be 200. And I have a discount because I registered many cars and it dropped, each new registration drops the price by 5% up to 50%.
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Quote:
Ehrm, we're two different guys.
P.S. Greece uses euros, so yes, it's 1200EUR.
My apologies you are indeed two different guys. My only excuse is that the read on black they use for the names on here now gives me a real problem, (the old colour scheme was far easier)
I'm amazed how expensive cars are over there!
I think someone later on said cars are cheaper here because of right hand drive but actually new cars have always been more expensive over here and RHD is one of the excuses manufacturers used to justify that.

Insurance does seem cheap though, fully comprehensive insurance for my JTD 1.9 is 275 a year and a similar amount for Road tax, maybe that's why we won't pay as much for cars.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
My apologies you are indeed two different guys. My only excuse is that the read on black they use for the names on here now gives me a real problem, (the old colour scheme was far easier)
I'm amazed how expensive cars are over there!
I think someone later on said cars are cheaper here because of right hand drive but actually new cars have always been more expensive over here and RHD is one of the excuses manufacturers used to justify that.

Insurance does seem cheap though, fully comprehensive insurance for my JTD 1.9 is 275 a year and a similar amount for Road tax, maybe that's why we won't pay as much for cars.
Do you have other expenses as far as car insurance goes? If not its pretty similar. Just the insurance here is 100 or 200 buf that is only 30-40% of the price. We have all sorts of road taxes etc. Also this thread got really sidetracked. Sorry OP.
AO Member

Quote:
Do you have other expenses as far as car insurance goes? If not its pretty similar. Just the insurance here is 100 or 200 buf that is only 30-40% of the price. We have all sorts of road taxes etc. Also this thread got really sidetracked. Sorry OP.
To sidetrack it a bit more, a road tax all-year round costs 35EUR here. .All of the expenses to have a car are the very cheap insurance, tax, and road tax.
80 EUR for insurance, 100 EUR for tax and 35 EUR for road tax. But have in mind average salary in Bulgaria is 333EUR.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
But have in mind average salary in Bulgaria is 333EUR.
Same here. The "official" figures say it's about 400 but that's all nonsense. Most jobs that don't require you to have 3 years of experience by the time you've graduated from high school like car washers, waiters, store clerks etc. only get 225-300 at the very best.
(Post Link) post #24 of 39 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Update:

Nice day dawns tomorrow. I will fix the hanging roof (with a new one) and i will let it another 24hrs for thorough biological cleaning inside. My god this car was never cleaned inside! That will cost me total another 230 euros.

Also today i visited 3 different polishing garages. They all showed me the exit. Unfortunately they advised me to forget about polishing or restoring the color of the car. They alla said that the color is burned and only a total repaint would fit but its way too expensive for the car. I am sad..Maybe later i am considering a car wrapping (with 3M or other membrane)

Finally i went searching for tyre prices as mine are totally useless. In fact the previous owner had turned the tyres inside out so that i coundnt see the tyre date! Hahaha its insane.. Anyway prices for new tyres begin at 180 euros and reach 300. I am considering of getting used Alloy wheels with used tyres on them since my 147 wears iron wheels and i can find good alloy wheels with tyres at 200 euros. I am not sure though if it would be ok to go from 15" to 17" wheels .

Keys i visited an immobilizer technician and he told me he would open the circuit inside to check it but he also needs the car. Thats programmed for Thursday now.

Window switches i am almost sure you guys are spot on. I think it works but something inside the door or window mechanism needs fixing. Maybe i find some time on Thursday for that too.

As for the price. Its 1200 euros and yes it is considered a cheap buy here in Greece. All my friends ask themselves how i found that deal! I remind them how much i have to pay to rebuild it though..

With some rough calculations i might need another 1500 euros to bring this baby to life. Would you do it? Tell me your opinions!

Thanks for the support
AO Member

Quote:
Update:

Nice day dawns tomorrow. I will fix the hanging roof (with a new one) and i will let it another 24hrs for thorough biological cleaning inside. My god this car was never cleaned inside! That will cost me total another 230 euros.

Also today i visited 3 different polishing garages. They all showed me the exit. Unfortunately they advised me to forget about polishing or restoring the color of the car. They alla said that the color is burned and only a total repaint would fit but its way too expensive for the car. I am sad..Maybe later i am considering a car wrapping (with 3M or other membrane)

Finally i went searching for tyre prices as mine are totally useless. In fact the previous owner had turned the tyres inside out so that i coundnt see the tyre date! Hahaha its insane.. Anyway prices for new tyres begin at 180 euros and reach 300. I am considering of getting used Alloy wheels with used tyres on them since my 147 wears iron wheels and i can find good alloy wheels with tyres at 200 euros. I am not sure though if it would be ok to go from 15" to 17" wheels .

Keys i visited an immobilizer technician and he told me he would open the circuit inside to check it but he also needs the car. Thats programmed for Thursday now.

Window switches i am almost sure you guys are spot on. I think it works but something inside the door or window mechanism needs fixing. Maybe i find some time on Thursday for that too.

As for the price. Its 1200 euros and yes it is considered a cheap buy here in Greece. All my friends ask themselves how i found that deal! I remind them how much i have to pay to rebuild it though..

With some rough calculations i might need another 1500 euros to bring this baby to life. Would you do it? Tell me your opinions!

Thanks for the support
We're neighbours , I'm from Bulgaria, and I must say, you might be better selling it. Even in Bulgaria, for 2500 EUROS you can get a pristine example of the 147 , with the JTDm engine, all the bells and whistles.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , alfa , bought

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page