Gear lever wobbly AKA spoon in bucket. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Gear lever wobbly AKA spoon in bucket.

My gear lever is like a spoon in a bucket with lots a lots of play in it. Is there a simple fix like a worn nylon bush if so which one is it so I can get more of a feel to my gear changes. Also does shortening the gear lever make much difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by systemshock View Post
My gear lever is like a spoon in a bucket with lots a lots of play in it. Is there a simple fix like a worn nylon bush if so which one is it so I can get more of a feel to my gear changes. Also does shortening the gear lever make much difference?
Common problem and usually requires the bushes in the gear stick housing to be replaced, few threads on here if you search.
Not an easy job and I'm close to tackling myself.
Requires access under the car and the exhaust needs moving to gain access to the panel but once access is gained, removing the component is not diffucult but if you want to replace the plastic piece that the gear stick fits too, good luck. Easier to replace the whole assembly if you have the funds.
AO Member

County: Auckland
True - plenty of threads on this subject, including a recent one from me. In brief, I've encountered a couple of different types. Best to see what sort you've got before ordering parts. Bushes cheap, but no good if yours doesn't use them.
Have a look at Alfa Romeo 147 Gear lever and you'll see the varieties. I guess you will need part 55192793 which doesn't have any replaceable bushes.

AO Member

County: Queensland
It is USUALLY the ball and cup retaining housing or the bushings as mentioned above but may I suggest before doing anything you also check the OTHER end of the cables first, where they attach to the gearbox selector plate.

The selector pivots (there are two of them one for each cable) pivot on a bolt which is fitted with bushes, it is rare but sometimes the bushes can wear/disintegrate also causing huge slop. The last car I worked on had this and took me totally by surprise as I was all set to drop the exhaust and tunnel, fortunately it takes just the battery & tray out to check.

Just a thought.

Baz

Patty - 2004 Alfa 156 2.0JTS Sportwagon

Ruby - 2000 Alfa 156 2.0 TS Selespeed with Sports Pack
(Eibach 2.5 Lowering Springs)
(Bilstein Sports Dampers )
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Thank you Baz ill give it a try

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
aka , bucket , gear , lever , spoon , wobbly