What car after 156? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 32Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 43 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
What car after 156?

Well mot time is coming up and my 156 is likely to be costing me some quids.
I'm trying to stop myself from purchasing a big jag and putting it on lpg.
Talk me out of this madness. What Alfa should I get next? I've even looked at finance deals on the mito qv but can you believe they don't do it with red leather! Madness. The 159 2.4 with auto looks good on paper but I sat in one and it just felt big, not special. I'd like a gtv Ts. Has anyone put kids in those back seats or are they just a joke. Anyway I'm sure I'll ignore all suggestion (especially sensible ones) but will enjoy reading them.

P.S. The other option (mostly based on sensible money issues) is a Panda 100hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
hey fella,

doing up a GTV TS at the mo for laughs and I have sat in the back..fine, surprisingly and i'm no giant at 5ft 8 but hardly a ''little un'' either.. kids under 12-13 should be fine ..that said they are big these days!

real fun drive and a less practical than a 156 but very affordable option in the TS..

you have my blessing for what its worth..
Mufasa, dgmayhead and gijst like this.
AO Member

County: Devon
GT 3.2 before they all disappear and get as rare to find with low mileage as GTA's are now. I give it another 12-24 months before the market realises. Does everything a 156 can do only better with the practicality of a sportwagon with more space and it's got electronic stability control, traction control, brake assist, airbags everywhere AND they don't rust. Much. Best car Alfa ever made until the Guilia came along.
Mufasa and dgmayhead like this.

AO Silver Member

P.S if you want a green one with a black leather interior and Sunroof with teledials and a new cambelt, aux belt, variator,full service and a new battery..give me a shout, should be done by the end of next week and will have a full years MOT on it hopefully with no advisories.

its also got a brand new stainless exhaust, car has been garaged for 4 years till I bought it last month..PH 1 98 car..under 70k on the clock.

would take 1500 from a forum member..
dgmayhead and gijst like this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 43 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Walker View Post
GT 3.2 before they all disappear and get as rare to find with low mileage as GTA's are now. I give it another 12-24 months before the market realises. Does everything a 156 can do only better with the practicality of a sportwagon with more space and it's got electronic stability control, traction control, brake assist, airbags everywhere AND they don't rust. Much. Best car Alfa ever made until the Guilia came along.
Point taken and it wasn't even on the list. These cars do seem cheap compared to gtas.
(Post Link) post #6 of 43 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
P.S if you want a green one with a black leather interior and Sunroof with teledials and a new cambelt, aux belt, variator,full service and a new battery..give me a shout, should be done by the end of next week and will have a full years MOT on it hopefully with no advisories.

its also got a brand new stainless exhaust, car has been garaged for 4 years till I bought it last month..PH 1 98 car..under 70k on the clock.

would take 1500 from a forum member..
Could be interested. Waiting for my fail list first. There may be some life in the old jalopy yet! Will pm when decision time comes.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
+1 gt 3.2
AO Silver Member

Actually if You dont want a TS I would say GTV in the 3.0..they seem much less prone to top end failure than the 3.2 and much less agg in general. I set of wishbones and no canbus to confuse things. And IMO time will be much kinder to the GTV ..916's are starting to look very pretty and will be worth big money in the next 2-5 years...and beyond that the sky is the limit. Pininfarina got it spot on with that car.

Likely to be the way I will go.

Currently gearing up to sell the blackie and replace with a 3.0 GTV.

May use the current one TS as a transition car and part ex it when the right GTV V6 comes up.

6 speed ,3.0 grey,red or black with a black ,cream or baseball interior if in red. CF2 manifolds and a quaife.

Teledials and a sunroof..(-;
Mufasa likes this.
AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
Hey man! I kinda see where you're coming from, because, when the time for replacing my car (147) comes, I will have no idea what to get. I like the 159s but I prefer hatchbacks, and I don't want to get another brand car because I will feel like I'm giving up on Alfas. It's dumb but hey, what can I do.

Anyhow, I have never liked MiTos, but recently I've been seeing a white one with 18" (I think) alloy wheels and lowered daily. It's not the QV I think as I don't recall seeing any badges, and the interior is black but man does it look amazing ! It's a little bit too small even for me coming from a 147, but I still don't have a family and kids I have to drive around so it wouldn't be an issue for me. However, I fear the MiTo is just a re-branded Grande Punto, and even that is more practical, even tho it can't be prettier.

New Alfas don't really grab my heart (just from seeing them) at all. The Giulietta doesn't look too stunning, and don't like the MiTo usually, but white suits it very well! Hoping the new Giulia brings back the Alfa glory (imo).
dgmayhead likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Panda 100HP is a hoot, 40mpg and will cruise all day at 80 and corners on rails. The ride at low speeds is bad but OK at motorway speeds. Cross country it gives far more powerful casr a run and you'll never fail to grin when driving it. Cheap to run and fun, what more can I say.
Philjay50, Mufasa and dgmayhead like this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 43 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOX1C View Post
Panda 100HP is a hoot, 40mpg and will cruise all day at 80 and corners on rails. The ride at low speeds is bad but OK at motorway speeds. Cross country it gives far more powerful casr a run and you'll never fail to grin when driving it. Cheap to run and fun, what more can I say.
Very tempted with this option as it leaves me more money for booze.
Mufasa likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
I'm sure the Panda is a fine car but I wouldn't agree that it's a better alternative than a GT if you're coming from a 156. Too sensible by half.
Mufasa likes this.
vij
AO Member

Member car:

Last week i replaced my old 1998 156 2.0 TS with a 2009 159 1750tbi. I tried a few different models of 159 and got disappointed. Felt big and heavy. I finally tried 1750tbi and i was sold. It feels very much like my old 156. Just newer better with more power. Go for a test drive and you will know if it fits you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Mufasa and dgmayhead like this.
vij
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
Well mot time is coming up and my 156 is likely to be costing me some quids.
I'm trying to stop myself from purchasing a big jag and putting it on lpg.
Talk me out of this madness. What Alfa should I get next? I've even looked at finance deals on the mito qv but can you believe they don't do it with red leather! Madness. The 159 2.4 with auto looks good on paper but I sat in one and it just felt big, not special. I'd like a gtv Ts. Has anyone put kids in those back seats or are they just a joke. Anyway I'm sure I'll ignore all suggestion (especially sensible ones) but will enjoy reading them.

P.S. The other option (mostly based on sensible money issues) is a Panda 100hp.
If you want to go small. Abarth 500. My wife has one and it is a very funny little thing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
dgmayhead likes this.
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Quote:
GT 3.2 before they all disappear and get as rare to find with low mileage as GTA's are now. I give it another 12-24 months before the market realises. Does everything a 156 can do only better with the practicality of a sportwagon with more space....
How many canoes or kayaks can you get on the roof?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
How much is it going to cost to fix the 156 do you reckon?
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
I'm sure the Panda is a fine car but I wouldn't agree that it's a better alternative than a GT if you're coming from a 156. Too sensible by half.
Certainly sensible for in town, for everything else there's the GTA.
AO Member

Quote:
Certainly sensible for in town, for everything else there's the GTA.
Yep, if you can find one.
AO Member

County: -Leicestershire
We run a little fiat 500 1.4 petrol for the kids to use and occasional trips into town where it's small size makes multi story car parks and easier. Does around 40 to a gallon,will reach the ton and has a lovely sporty small steering wheel,red leather seats and the phone. Is all rigged up to the stereo hands free which with three daughters who are never off the flamin phone was its best selling point. Had it for six years now and it's pretty durable,still a lot of fun and aside from the kerb induced damage and four sets of replacement tyres has been very cheap to run. Still a fun little thing. You could do a lot worse.
(Post Link) post #20 of 43 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
How much is it going to cost to fix the 156 do you reckon?
Don't know yet but the floor pan needs doing and I'm lacking in skill and enthusiasm.
The suspension constantly empties my wallet each year. Otherwise this has been a solid reliable car. I've kept it longer than most.
(Post Link) post #21 of 43 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Pains me to say it but the abarth 500 is cheaper and better than the Mito.
I'd not considered the newer 159s. The jts engine certainly doesn't appeal but the later petrols are good. I'd need a long test drive to be sure I could live with the 159.
MOT is next week so I'll keep the 156 if I can get a ticket for less than 500.
Nobody loving the xj on lpg.
AO Member

County: -Leicestershire
Lpg isn't the greatest invention ever. Some systems better than others, some fitting companies better than others.......little less power,extra servicing costs,LPG heavier than air so a leak ain't good......not all areas keep it,high cost of fitting it....
If I did twenty thousand miles plus a year I'd get a diesel not LPG a petrol. No egr issues if you keep the miles high and fast. If LPG were the answer manufacturers would fit it as standard?
We run a Volvo XC70 for her majesty which carries our dogs too and were clocking around 18 thousand miles a year in it mostly on the same long motorway journey. No egr issues and runs fabulous. Petrol fiat for around town. Horses for courses.
AO Platinum Member

The Panda 100 is a great little car. Only issue is rear dampers but most would have been changed by now.
Made in Poland, so it will be put together properly!!
I've thought about a pre2012 Panda myself, but my little Cinq fills that niche.

After my 156 I was looking at GTV V6, but the boot is tiny (a GT was too close to a 156 and I wanted something that wasn't made in Naples!!!), which is what directed me towards my little TT V6. Small adults can fit in the back and children would be no problem, a child seat fits in the back for little ones too.
dgmayhead likes this.

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Garage
A GTV will be much too small if you have children...very small people could do short journeys in the back....no boot to speak of either.

If the family is growing and you don't like bigger cars like the 159...then the 166 would feel too big too, even if you could find a decent one.
164 if you are brave enough to go for a 20+year old classic...

I'd keep on the look out for another decent 156....or maybe the new Guilia 2.0tb will feel more agile than a 159....if you can budget ??

Apart from that there is Punto Abarth....as Italian option to to Ford Focus/Golf GTi??

EDIT: Just realised you are considering a Jag.....in which case a 166 may not be too big for you...and the V6 can do lpg (though personally I wouldn't bother because of the downsides to lpg).

Last edited by goremohekan; 03-08-16 at 22:16.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
When you say big Jag, you're not referring to an X-type or S-type right?

If you're considering a proper XJ or something like that, then why not open the scope to some of the other older German premium? The BMW 530i Sport (E39) is a belter, they have loads of room and are pretty decent on fuel too. You can pick up a tidy one for a couple of grand.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , car

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page