2.0 JTS engine sound after timing belt change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By joeymannero

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Exclamation 2.0 JTS engine sound after timing belt change

https://youtu.be/4rAcWfkACPM

After changing the timing belt on my 156, the engine has this weird knocking noisehttp://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...s/paranoid.gif heard on the video.
I did some careful listening and the source of the noise is around inlet camshaft or the the hole inlet system. Does anybody know what should I do or how the sound could be fixed? And hopefully I don't need to take the hole cover off againhttp://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image.../depressed.gif

And this isn't sounding right, right?

Last edited by jaska121; 02-08-16 at 19:09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Did you use the camlocks to set the timing?

Also did you change the variator?
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I did use locks.

Didn't change anything but the timing belt (and auxiliary belt). Plus, I'm not sure where is this 'variator'?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1470164910633.jpg (72.5 KB, 7 views)

(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

After googling about variator, it indeed is looking like the source of the noise is it. But why the hell it started rattling now?? Before the job it was all quiet (I think). Could the loosened inlet pulley cause this?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaska121 View Post
I did use locks.

Didn't change anything but the timing belt (and auxiliary belt). Plus, I'm not sure where is this 'variator'?
that is classic variator noise, sound like a diesel ..its screwed to the inlet cam at the cam wheel end, can be a bugger to get off, and its advisable to change it whilst doing the cambelt...they don't usually ''fail'' and even if they do the result will be lack of power as the cam timing doesn't advance after 3000 rpm. they don't usually cause any other issues but judging by the sound that one has never be done.

I am just doing a cambelt on a 2.0 TS at the mo and had to make a tool to remove it, it's not advisable to do it with the camshaft in situ as the force required to remove it can tear the cam clamp screws out of the cylinder head...new head time if that happens.

I removed the inlet camshaft and used a vice with two bits of wood to clamp the camshaft and the used my homemade tool to remove it.

if you decide to do it PM me and I will send you the tool as long as you cover postage and sent it back..

alternatively the Alfa workshop sell both the tool and the variator..

Alfa Romeo Variator

hope this helps!

It's Busso time ..
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks, that was very helpful. However, do you think that when I loosened the inlet cam pulley (to tighten the belt correctly) it took affect on the variator?

It cannot have failed as the noise wasn't there before the job.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
This guide shows a goos way of removing the variator.

The cam variator

I know it is a TS, but it is the same.

The variator was probably just hanging on in there when you changed the belt and you disturbing things finally managed to push it over the edge....
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaska121 View Post
After googling about variator, it indeed is looking like the source of the noise is it. But why the hell it started rattling now?? Before the job it was all quiet (I think). Could the loosened inlet pulley cause this?

maybe the oil feed to it is partially blocked or it just hasn't made its way there yet, run it a while and see what happens..but in all honesty thats how it starts , diesel noise on start up which goes away and then eventually doesn't go away!

here you go

The cam variator
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
This guide shows a goos way of removing the variator.

The cam variator

I know it is a TS, but it is the same.

The variator was probably just hanging on in there when you changed the belt and you disturbing things finally managed to push it over the edge....
great minds...!
symon and jaska121 like this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 05-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
that is classic variator noise, sound like a diesel ..its screwed to the inlet cam at the cam wheel end, can be a bugger to get off, and its advisable to change it whilst doing the cambelt...they don't usually ''fail'' and even if they do the result will be lack of power as the cam timing doesn't advance after 3000 rpm. they don't usually cause any other issues but judging by the sound that one has never be done.

I am just doing a cambelt on a 2.0 TS at the mo and had to make a tool to remove it, it's not advisable to do it with the camshaft in situ as the force required to remove it can tear the cam clamp screws out of the cylinder head...new head time if that happens.

I removed the inlet camshaft and used a vice with two bits of wood to clamp the camshaft and the used my homemade tool to remove it.

if you decide to do it PM me and I will send you the tool as long as you cover postage and sent it back..

alternatively the Alfa workshop sell both the tool and the variator..

Alfa Romeo Variator

hope this helps!
Thanks! This was very helpful answer. After I kept the engine running a while (and revving a bit), the noise apparently disappeared Maybe it was the hydraulic valve lifter that made the noise. Also, the noise was coming most loudest around the 2nd cylinder inlet cams... Well, I keep monitoring on the issue

Nevertheless, I'll have to change the variator at some point. But I'll be back before that
AO Member

County: Oost-Vlaanderen

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

If the noise thous not come back after a cold start, it could have been a tapped that was not yet enough lubricated
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Try an oil change ... thin oil drives the variator crazy!
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 05-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I've just changed oils: 5 liters of Castrol 10W-60 Edge. The oil so thick no wonder if lifters are a bit noisy after a long downtime

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
belt , change , engine , jts , sound , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page