GT JTS mods/tuning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By alfski
  • 1 Post By Harryhillan1990

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Scotland

Member car:

GT JTS

GT JTS mods/tuning

Hi all,

Had my GT JTS for a few weeks now and am loving it so far.

I've decided to spend some money brining it back to a nice level, have just had a full service, change the spark plugs, changed to the timing belt and water pump, putting 4 new break discs / pads on it, getting the callipers cleaned up and painted, getting all the dings out the bodywork and finally undersealed.

Ive spoken to Gus at Alfatune regarding the remap who put in touch with a garage in Scotland (McLennans) who are able to put his remap in it. That'll be getting done next month when I have the funds.
Can anyone advise me on what mods they would suggest for getting the most power out the engine in the most cost effective way? Ive never did anything to any car ive owned previously so its uncharted territory for me.

Whats peoples opinion on getting it remapped? Has anyone had it done who can advise if its worth it, 450 is a lot of money for 12 bhp imo.

Thanks in advance guys.

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -Leicestershire
My advice about re maps for what it's worth is don't get too carried away with how many extra horse power they do or do not give. Look at the increased torque you get and the way that it is delivered. Try to get a test drive in a mapped car before you buy a map. Torque increase will bring you more real world benefits. Horse power may bring your clutch exploding Santa pod quarter mile time down but torque will make overtaking cars in the real world quicker,smoother and more enjoyable.
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Hi Harry,

thing is where the JTS is concerned in terms of being a tunable engine, its basically not without spending a huge amount of money, the remap will deliver a bit and if your JTS is chucking out the claimed 165 ponies then 177 bhp is a respectable figure and it will be an enjoyable drive without ever really setting the world alight, the biggest gain will be crisper sharper throttle response.

if I were you I would concentrate on getting the best out of the handling as although the JTS is the same block and head as the diesel it benefits from not having the weight of the turbo related stuff stuck to it, believe me I have had the turbo and manifold off my car and it weighs a good 30-40kg, add all the diesel emissions related stuff ,plus the weight of the intercooler and oil cooler which your car does not have it will be a good 65-70kg lighter, crucially over the front wheels where the handling is most affected.

my old JTS GT felt lighter in the nose than my derv and a bit more ''direct'' but in terms of unlockable power the derv is on another planet.

so if you are going with the re-map, I have a couple of suggestions if you are really serious about getting the best out of the car.

1) have a look at more direct induction route and replace the air filter with a K&N performance one.

2) a sports exhaust will get the air out quicker which should make the most of the re-map, consider a pre cat delete..as well 300-600

3) eibach Arb's to cure the body roll on stock suspension. 300

3) lowering springs either with stock shocks if money is an issue ,or a set of bilstein or similar. 200 if you stay with stock shocks

4) if the clutch is due maybe take advantage and have a lightened flywheel fitted or have the one on it lightened...not sure on this for the JTS but 300 feels about right

5) short shift kit will improve your progress as you will get through the gears cleanly and slickly...again not sure on the JTS gearbox, if its the C630 gearbox then there is now a stainless steel one available for 40, (check out the GTV section) easy to fit and a good mod to do in conjunction with the re-map.

6) the only other way to make more power ''affordably'' would be some fast road camshafts. budget around 600 all of that should see you with a peak figure of 190-200 bhp. which would put it up there with an old civic type R at 197 BHP or a merc SLK 230 at 197 BHP, so not be sniffed at.

there are a couple of supercharged JTS's about , autodelta made one which was around 220 BHP but its COSTLY!

any other weight saving stuff you can think of will always help, even taking the spare wheel out of the boot and going with a compressor and tyre seal kit.

I have in the past not been a big fan of the JTS having had a few issues with mine but I don't wish to criticize your choice of engine , and TBH if short journeys are your thing then why not see what's possible with what you have..?

good luck and let us know what you decide to do..

It's Busso time ..

(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS

Thanks both for your replies,

@joey - Thats really informative cheers man! I really like the idea of the short shift kit. Not been too impressed with the gear stick / box on the GT. Im assuming this is just as is sounds and is a shorter sportier gearbox? Is that really only 40? Very impressed.

Im unsure about lowering the car, some of my friends lowered theirs when we were younger and it was a nightmare, ended up unable to go over speed bumps etc. I know they look better lowered, just not sure its practical.

I think reading your post ill go down the remap, cold air intake, more direct induction system and maybe a sports exhaust further down the line. All comes down to cost though
AO Member

County: -Leicestershire
Fundamentally you want to get a good delivery of fuel which fuel injection and a remap will provide,you want to burn it efficiently and then a supply of cool filtered air which the standard air box delivers then have it leave the engine as gas as smoothly and quickly as you can. Decat exhaust or race cat and a stainless system with only a small silencer will do that efficiently. Don't get too involved in the brand names. Get fuel and cool air in,burn it then dispose of it cleanly. Simple. As for handling good tyres make more difference than lowered suspension and your back will thank you.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhillan1990 View Post
Thanks both for your replies,

@joey - Thats really informative cheers man! I really like the idea of the short shift kit. Not been too impressed with the gear stick / box on the GT. Im assuming this is just as is sounds and is a shorter sportier gearbox? Is that really only 40? Very impressed.

Im unsure about lowering the car, some of my friends lowered theirs when we were younger and it was a nightmare, ended up unable to go over speed bumps etc. I know they look better lowered, just not sure its practical.

I think reading your post ill go down the remap, cold air intake, more direct induction system and maybe a sports exhaust further down the line. All comes down to cost though
short shift kit is just a bracket that goes in place of the stock bracket on the gear linkage on top of the gear box, shortening the throw of the gear lever by about 30%, a fantastic mod and all adds to the driving experience..

whilst I agree with most of what alfski has said, I can't agree on the lowering for two reasons, 1) stock suspension is crap , and 2) Stance is important as well, mine is lowered by about 30mm and both my back and underside of the car are fine..! and I live in the Surrey hills and regularly go to London, she handles both crap country roads and speed bumps with aplomb.

the other point is that for a sporty coupe there is a massive gap between wheel and wheel arch that to my eye does the look of the car no favours, but it horses for courses ..

what he says about getting air in and out is spot on, I have a slightly modified airbox having gotten rid of the plenum chamber and I have a K&N in it and that works fantastically well, I could have removed the airbox altogether and sighted a cone filter down low but if offers no real benefit and risks hydro locking in standing water and as said by alfski the stock box is not restrictive. putting a freer breathing filter would be enough on reflection.

here are a couple of pics of mine, she is pushing around 245 BHP with bags of torgue, and is on bilstein B12 shocks with eibach sportline springs, note the reduced gap between the wheel arch and wheels.

I have also added a pic of my old moon blue JTS GT with no suspension mods and I think you can see the overall look is very different, both cars are on 18''s BTW.

Last edited by joeymannero; 4 Weeks Ago at 19:07.
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS

So what sort of price would I be looking at to get it lowered?

Thanks for all this info byw guys, ill be showing this to the garage near my house on Thursday when I pick the car back up. They will understand far more of this than I will lol.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhillan1990 View Post
So what sort of price would I be looking at to get it lowered?

Thanks for all this info byw guys, ill be showing this to the garage near my house on Thursday when I pick the car back up. They will understand far more of this than I will lol.

the whole kit is around 600-700, plus fitting you are looking at around 1000 depending on how quick your garage are TBH 3 hours labour should do it, I would just keep the stock shocks and go with some well matched lowering springs they should come in at around 200, should then be do-able for under half that price.

her you go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Pro...MAAOSwG-1WvHCJ

even cheaper than I thought!

or the whole kit, shocks and springs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilstein-B...IAAOSwaNBUfMvE

and the arb kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-26m...wAAOSwiCRUfMs4

just be aware that JTS engined cars are not highly thought of so you are not going to see this money back, with that in mind keep the cost down where you can...why I recommended staying with the stock shocks rather than going the whole Hog, the engine is slightly lighter as said before so the suspension isn't ''found out'' quite as much as it is on the 3.2 and 1.9, I would personally spend on the ARB's and springs instead of replacing shocks as well, bigger bang for the buck.

you could keep all the stock stuff and in the event you sell the car take it all off and return back to stock and either keep for your next GT /147 or sell it on here and recoup some cash.

a word of caution, keep a close eye on the oil as a litre every 1000km is not unusual and running it low on oil will kill it in double quick time...I used to keep a litre of 10/60 in the boot at all times..
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS

Thanks again for all the advice guys! Really appreciated. Ill post some pictures in this thread in 2 weeks when the first 2 lots of work is completed!
joeymannero likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS

One final question though, what are "eibach Arb's"? Sorry if this is a daft question. After reading what you guys said i started dojng some reading and everyone seems to be saving what a difference they make to stock suspension
AO Silver Member

Anti roll bars,

they are effectively a torsion spring, which stops the car leaning over in corners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-roll_bar

the heavier they are the stronger the action, and it does make a HUGE difference. as I said before ARB's and lowering springs, and maybe if you can stretch to it 5mm wheel spacers...that will be a fun car with a nice balance of weight power and handling characteristics..
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS

Top man!! Cheers!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
jts , mods or tuning

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page