Alfa 147 Lift-Off Oversteer - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfski View Post
225 tyres all round must give phenomenal levels of grip on a small 147 sized car?
Grip is a function of the sticktivity of the rubber compound, and the weight pushing down... More tyre width doesn't give more grip normally! Tyre width comes in to play when you're pushing the tyre to it's limits.. Larger contact patch means the "work" being done by the tyre is distributed over more rubber, so you can manage heat/degradation/wear better... But for normal road use, wide tyres ain't giving you more grip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

225/45R17 may be tight for arch clearance on a normal 147. Std size was 215/45R17

225/45R17 will be fine on any GT (more arch clearance).

If your chosen brand of 225/45R17 does clear on your 147, it will give you slightly more ground clearance, which, on a car that has poor clearance, always helps.
(Post Link) post #28 of 38 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
225/45R17 may be tight for arch clearance on a normal 147. Std size was 215/45R17

225/45R17 will be fine on any GT (more arch clearance).

If your chosen brand of 225/45R17 does clear on your 147, it will give you slightly more ground clearance, which, on a car that has poor clearance, always helps.
It is tight, but still barely enough. Mine is lowered too which makes it even tigher . Somehow it manages.
Concerning ground clearance, people find me amusing on the road when I just decide I can't over a particular bump and end up backing up till I find a way my car can go over.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Fwd problems
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Grip is a function of the sticktivity of the rubber compound, and the weight pushing down... More tyre width doesn't give more grip normally! Tyre width comes in to play when you're pushing the tyre to it's limits.. Larger contact patch means the "work" being done by the tyre is distributed over more rubber, so you can manage heat/degradation/wear better... But for normal road use, wide tyres ain't giving you more grip!
wider tyres are made from softer compounds though....
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0s View Post
As we are talking about tyres, I would whole heartedly suggest you try Michelin Pilot Sport 4. I also love to push my car around corners on free back roads and find them to be incredibly grippy. Im yet to manage to spin them or over/under steer (maybe Im not pushing hard enough ). The size I use is 225/40/17 both front and back. I have heard some people use 215 in the front, but am unsure of what would this lead to. Anyway, great tyres (a bit expensive tho) - check them out.
I'm seriously considering these for next year. How are they when it's wet?
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
wider tyres are made from softer compounds though....
Are They?
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by biddyrascal View Post
Are They?
It's news to me if they are

Would have though a Pilot Sport 4 tyre had the same rubber formulation on the tread belt no matter whether it was a 185/215/225/235 width etc....
AO Member

Garage
Quote:

Would have though a Pilot Sport 4 tyre had the same rubber formulation on the tread belt no matter whether it was a 185/215/225/235 width etc....
Yeah my thoughts exactly, but we are all here to be educated??
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
I'm seriously considering these for next year. How are they when it's wet?
To my experience with them - pretty much the same way as when its dry, at least when you are not doing anything crazy. I have confidently drove on the highway (wet road due to normal rain) with about 150-160 km/h without the need to slow down on the bigger turns. If I could not see and hear the rain, I would not be able to tell the difference from the way the care behaved. I also had to drive in a very horrible storm with heavy rain, and they performed well, but I had to drive with a very limited speed since I could barely see 5 meters in front of me (In the end I pulled up to wait for the storm to subside). There could be better tyres for wet roads, but I definitely have not experienced any problems with those.

My only concern is that they are spoiling me and I will get overconfident either in mine or some other car (with not as good tyres)

Quote:
Concerning ground clearance, people find me amusing on the road when I just decide I can't over a particular bump and end up backing up till I find a way my car can go over.
Same here, just replace "bump" with a "hole" or "holes" that are all so common on our glorious roads...

Last edited by xen0s; 09-08-16 at 19:24.
(Post Link) post #36 of 38 Old 10-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0s View Post

Same here, just replace "bump" with a "hole" or "holes" that are all so common on our glorious roads...
Oh, tell me about it. Few days ago, I hit a pothole,which was nearly as deep as the Mariana Trench. It was a 3-lane street, had cars on both sides, it was inevitable. Needless to say, I wasn't in a good mood for the rest of the day.
AO Gold Member

Quote:

no it doesn't.

but it's going in steps, not every size it's own compound.

The reason they can use softer compounds is because wider tyres have more material to wear away. if they use the same compound, the 235 will last 30% longer than a 185. Does it?

Larger diameter tyres get softer aswell.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
no it doesn't.

but it's going in steps, not every size it's own compound.

The reason they can use softer compounds is because wider tyres have more material to wear away. if they use the same compound, the 235 will last 30% longer than a 185. Does it?

Larger diameter tyres get softer aswell.
Well like i said we are all here to be educated,
You can also get single compound, dual compound and triple compound tyres, see we all learn something each day !
Single compound; as it says one compound through the whole tread
Dual compound; Harder compound for the central tread and softer compound for the outer tread.
Tri compound; Hard centre, soft outer, medium Inner treads

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , alfa , liftoff , oversteer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page