Alfa 147 Lift-Off Oversteer - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfski View Post
225 tyres all round must give phenomenal levels of grip on a small 147 sized car?
Grip is a function of the sticktivity of the rubber compound, and the weight pushing down... More tyre width doesn't give more grip normally! Tyre width comes in to play when you're pushing the tyre to it's limits.. Larger contact patch means the "work" being done by the tyre is distributed over more rubber, so you can manage heat/degradation/wear better... But for normal road use, wide tyres ain't giving you more grip!
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
David C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 29,239
225/45R17 may be tight for arch clearance on a normal 147. Std size was 215/45R17

225/45R17 will be fine on any GT (more arch clearance).

If your chosen brand of 225/45R17 does clear on your 147, it will give you slightly more ground clearance, which, on a car that has poor clearance, always helps.
David C is offline  
(Post Link) post #28 of 38 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: Just got a license
AO Member
 
tishobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
County: -
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
225/45R17 may be tight for arch clearance on a normal 147. Std size was 215/45R17

225/45R17 will be fine on any GT (more arch clearance).

If your chosen brand of 225/45R17 does clear on your 147, it will give you slightly more ground clearance, which, on a car that has poor clearance, always helps.
It is tight, but still barely enough. Mine is lowered too which makes it even tigher . Somehow it manages.
Concerning ground clearance, people find me amusing on the road when I just decide I can't over a particular bump and end up backing up till I find a way my car can go over.
tishobg is offline  
 
Status: Broken again...
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 17
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,668
Images: 6
Garage
Fwd problems
GhostyDog is offline  
Status: playing kill by numbers
AO Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Belgium
County: Down in the Park
Posts: 8,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Grip is a function of the sticktivity of the rubber compound, and the weight pushing down... More tyre width doesn't give more grip normally! Tyre width comes in to play when you're pushing the tyre to it's limits.. Larger contact patch means the "work" being done by the tyre is distributed over more rubber, so you can manage heat/degradation/wear better... But for normal road use, wide tyres ain't giving you more grip!
wider tyres are made from softer compounds though....
Cuore_Sportivo_155 is offline  
Status: playing kill by numbers
AO Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Belgium
County: Down in the Park
Posts: 8,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0s View Post
As we are talking about tyres, I would whole heartedly suggest you try Michelin Pilot Sport 4. I also love to push my car around corners on free back roads and find them to be incredibly grippy. Im yet to manage to spin them or over/under steer (maybe Im not pushing hard enough ). The size I use is 225/40/17 both front and back. I have heard some people use 215 in the front, but am unsure of what would this lead to. Anyway, great tyres (a bit expensive tho) - check them out.
I'm seriously considering these for next year. How are they when it's wet?
Cuore_Sportivo_155 is offline  
Status: Busy
AO Member
 
biddyrascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 183
Images: 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
wider tyres are made from softer compounds though....
Are They?
biddyrascal is offline  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by biddyrascal View Post
Are They?
It's news to me if they are

Would have though a Pilot Sport 4 tyre had the same rubber formulation on the tread belt no matter whether it was a 185/215/225/235 width etc....
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: Busy
AO Member
 
biddyrascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 183
Images: 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
It's news to me if they are

Would have though a Pilot Sport 4 tyre had the same rubber formulation on the tread belt no matter whether it was a 185/215/225/235 width etc....
Yeah my thoughts exactly, but we are all here to be educated??
biddyrascal is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Posts: 33
Images: 4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
I'm seriously considering these for next year. How are they when it's wet?
To my experience with them - pretty much the same way as when its dry, at least when you are not doing anything crazy. I have confidently drove on the highway (wet road due to normal rain) with about 150-160 km/h without the need to slow down on the bigger turns. If I could not see and hear the rain, I would not be able to tell the difference from the way the care behaved. I also had to drive in a very horrible storm with heavy rain, and they performed well, but I had to drive with a very limited speed since I could barely see 5 meters in front of me (In the end I pulled up to wait for the storm to subside). There could be better tyres for wet roads, but I definitely have not experienced any problems with those.

My only concern is that they are spoiling me and I will get overconfident either in mine or some other car (with not as good tyres)

Quote:
Concerning ground clearance, people find me amusing on the road when I just decide I can't over a particular bump and end up backing up till I find a way my car can go over.
Same here, just replace "bump" with a "hole" or "holes" that are all so common on our glorious roads...

Last edited by xen0s; 09-08-16 at 19:24.
xen0s is offline  
(Post Link) post #36 of 38 Old 10-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: Just got a license
AO Member
 
tishobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
County: -
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0s View Post
....


Same here, just replace "bump" with a "hole" or "holes" that are all so common on our glorious roads...
Oh, tell me about it. Few days ago, I hit a pothole,which was nearly as deep as the Mariana Trench. It was a 3-lane street, had cars on both sides, it was inevitable. Needless to say, I wasn't in a good mood for the rest of the day.
tishobg is offline  
Status: playing kill by numbers
AO Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Belgium
County: Down in the Park
Posts: 8,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
It's news to me if they are

Would have though a Pilot Sport 4 tyre had the same rubber formulation on the tread belt no matter whether it was a 185/215/225/235 width etc....
no it doesn't.

but it's going in steps, not every size it's own compound.

The reason they can use softer compounds is because wider tyres have more material to wear away. if they use the same compound, the 235 will last 30% longer than a 185. Does it?

Larger diameter tyres get softer aswell.
Cuore_Sportivo_155 is offline  
Status: Busy
AO Member
 
biddyrascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 183
Images: 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
no it doesn't.

but it's going in steps, not every size it's own compound.

The reason they can use softer compounds is because wider tyres have more material to wear away. if they use the same compound, the 235 will last 30% longer than a 185. Does it?

Larger diameter tyres get softer aswell.
Well like i said we are all here to be educated,
You can also get single compound, dual compound and triple compound tyres, see we all learn something each day !
Single compound; as it says one compound through the whole tread
Dual compound; Harder compound for the central tread and softer compound for the outer tread.
Tri compound; Hard centre, soft outer, medium Inner treads
biddyrascal is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , alfa , liftoff , oversteer

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome