Cyclinder Head Torque JTD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 29-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

to many

Cyclinder Head Torque JTD

I just finished reassembling the head, I spun it over it. its clearly not happy. The head is torqued up as follows:

10 6 2 4 8 7 3 1 5 9

1 phase 65 Nm
2nd phase 90
3rd phase 90
4th phase 90

I'm not convinced the head gasket isn't leaking and certainly the injectors are, is there a check torque setting or do it loosen them all and retighten them?

Anyone know the best way of sealing the injectors I don't want to over tighten them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Did you fit new injector seals? They work-harden in use and new ones are needed - or, provided the seals don't have surface damage, anneal the old ones to soften them (for copper: heat to red heat, immediately drop into cold water or dilute HCL, ensure the surface is smooth and clean using fine wet & dry or Scotchbrite).

If in doubt about the seal seats, re-cut (can be done in place, with grease to collect the swarf, the tool is pretty cheap on eBay).

Injector clamp nuts are 25-28Nm, from memory. That's probably right as it's what I remembered a few weeks ago and the injector hasn't leaked.

On my 1.9 16v JTDM the head bolt-down procedure and numbers were the same (though ISTR a first stage of 35Nm) - and ye gods, by the last stage that is tight.

Was the head skimmed? Block surface spotless? Correct gasket used? (On my engine at least there are several different thicknesses available. Recon heads where the valves seats have not been recut to suit the skim need a thicker type.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 30-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

to many

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftone View Post
Did you fit new injector seals? They work-harden in use and new ones are needed - or, provided the seals don't have surface damage, anneal the old ones to soften them (for copper: heat to red heat, immediately drop into cold water or dilute HCL, ensure the surface is smooth and clean using fine wet & dry or Scotchbrite).

If in doubt about the seal seats, re-cut (can be done in place, with grease to collect the swarf, the tool is pretty cheap on eBay).

Injector clamp nuts are 25-28Nm, from memory. That's probably right as it's what I remembered a few weeks ago and the injector hasn't leaked.

On my 1.9 16v JTDM the head bolt-down procedure and numbers were the same (though ISTR a first stage of 35Nm) - and ye gods, by the last stage that is tight.

Was the head skimmed? Block surface spotless? Correct gasket used? (On my engine at least there are several different thicknesses available. Recon heads where the valves seats have not been recut to suit the skim need a thicker type.
The last 90 deg is seriously tight, a 2ft power bar did the trick.

The old head went off to be rebuilt but was history (idler disintegrated and cam belt came off) the valve guide had split. The head was new I lifted it from a complete engine. It went off to be skimmed but was clean and straight so they returned it. The head gasket wasn't notched (thicker) and came from shop4parts.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cyclinder , head , jtd , torque

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page