Alfa GT Number Plate Light Failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 28-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Plovdiv
Alfa GT Number Plate Light Failure

Hello everyone,

last week, ice rained from the sky here and the hail was as big as an apricot. It damaged the whole car sans the bumpers. The insurance will cover that completely and pay for fixing and complete repaint. My problem lies elsewhere.

A couple of days after the flood/hail, I got in the car for the first time since and immediately was greeted by the "number plate bulb failure" light. The number plate light is indeed - not working. At first I though that the water level went up to the bumper and somehow flooded it. Then I looked around the forum and noticed several people mentioning a connection under the right bumper somewhere that controls the number plate light, the reversing light and the fog light. Today, I did some experimenting and noticed that the reverse light is also not working. The fog light is working though.

I have still not checked the bulbs, but what are the odds of 3 bulbs going out at the same time immediately after a huge hail? The hail was hitting the car from the right side mainly. Can it have damaged (messed up) that connector under the bumper? I could not see a clear guide on how to disconnect it or the exact location and ways of accessing this said connector.

I looked through the eLearn, but such element is not even in the diagram for the number plate lights. What needs to be disassembled in order to get to it so I can check if everything is fine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Main connector is on the right hand side, behind the wheel arch liner.. If your car took a beating on that side I'd have a good look in there!
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 29-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Main connector is on the right hand side, behind the wheel arch liner.. If your car took a beating on that side I'd have a good look in there!
How do I access it though?

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Remove the wheel arch liner and reach in.. Should be doable without jacking up and removing the wheel, but you'll get better access if you do get the wheel off.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

So today I disassembled the parking light and the two number plate lights to check the bulbs before removing the whole wheel arch liner.

The number plate bulbs seemed fine, but the parking light was literally toast. The glass is blown and the bulb is almost welded to the socket. I removed the socket so it is easier to remove the bulb.

Can this be causing the message about the number plate bulbs? It seems that the circuit goes through the parking light before going to the number plate bulbs. Can the circuit be stopping at the parking light considering the condition it is in? Also, could this type of damage cause a fuse to blow? Where are the fuses located and how do I check if one of them is blown?

Sorry for all the questions. I am not very knowledgeable with cars, but I can find my way around with directions.
Thanks in advance!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa , failure , light , number , plate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page