1.9 jtdm clutch slip on 1st and 2nd ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By xen0s

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 28-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
1.9 jtdm clutch slip on 1st and 2nd ?

Hi everyone.

I have Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTDM (no remap). Since this is my first car, and pretty much the only diesel I have access to, so I cannot compare and dont know If what Im observing is a normal or a problem.
When I accelerate on 1st gear I can only go up to 20-25km/h, then even if I press the gas pedal further (even if gently and slowly) the RPM would increase, but hardly the speed. 2nd gear also goes up to 30-40 km/h and no more. I have not noticed any problems with higher gears, maybe because I tend to not floor it too suddenly. This is not really a problem for me since I tend to have changed gears before the situation occurs but it bugs me especially since a friend with a 320d bmw told me it reaches 40 km/h in first (the RPM jumps but so does the speed). So is my clutch slipping or is this rather normal for this car/engine ?

Any input is welcome Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Not normal, your clutch is worn and slipping.

Cars with a beefy remap/hybrid turbo are more prone to slip when pushed hard, even with plenty of meat left on the clutch disk.. But if you're getting slip in 1st and 2nd on a standard map, then your clutch is toast and needs replacing..
AO Member

County: Plovdiv
The way to know for sure if the clutch is slipping is to step on the pedal when the RPM is low. My clutch needed changing and this is how I knew.

On the interstate when driving at around 100-110km/h on 5th gear (RPM should be a little below 2000), just floor the pedal and see what happens. Does the car start accelerating (even if it is slow), or do the RPMs increase fast without the speed changing and then lower suddenly, with the car starting to accelerate. If it is the latter, then the clutch needs changing.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Got a stage one clutch and DMF for sale ..just came out of my blackie.

100 +postage and they are yours..
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 30-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Thanks for the info everyone.
While I managed to do the test w00x suggested (flooring it on 5th at 1900rpm and there was no slip), I have not found a road where I can test 1st and second at peace. So Im still not entirely sure whether there is a problem. Could anyone share with me up to what speed/rpm they can accelerate on 1st and 2nd? A comparisoin would be very useful.

@joeymannero, thank you for the offer. Usually I would prefer a brand new clutch, but I will consider your offer in case it really needs replacing. Dont wait for me tho in case you have a buyer. Cheers

EDIT: I just tested the car, a bit half heartedly since the road was not very appropriate but still. What I managed to get is up to about 40 km/h @ 4000rpm at 1st gear and up to about 60km/h on 2nd. So the whole thing could be due to me not knowing **** about cars - the speed rises, just very slowly compared to the rpm. The both values rise together, and the rpm does not drop down when the speed rises so maybe its normal and not a clutch slip?

Last edited by xen0s; 30-07-16 at 14:33.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

First gear is over in about 2 seconds ...and your speeds seem normal

Is it your first diesel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 31-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Yup - my impression is the same - 1st is just to get going. And yes - first car and first diesel.
AO Silver Member

Sounds normal..

1st is very short,2nd less so,3rd onwards is where it all happens. ..the short gearing is why IMO any later than 2k for turbo spool makes these cars a lot of work around town requiring constant changes between 2nd/3rd to make good progress without sounding like a hooligan in high revs or experiencing lag and smoke from hoofing it from to low down the rev rangewith little or no boost.

You get used to it but the longer gearing on most petrol cars makes for a more relaxed drive around town.

I would consider taking it for saturday surgery at autolusso as its your first car.

Bourenmouth if your south/south west Ned is over in Luton and Dan in Penrith if your up North .

An idea of what to expect in the next year will be of great help to you and potentially avoid a nasty surprise if you let something benign develop into a wallet buster.

Good luck..I'm sure your car is fine but its good to know on any car thats new to you what mainteance will be required to keep it running well.
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 31-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Thanks for the input it is really helpful.
Just to note that the car has already wen through complete maintenance, some minor modifications (swirl flaps and EGR delete) and has a brand new front suspension wishbones (that is what they are called right ). So whatever problems were present are fixed, I was just not sure whether the gearing was normal and forgot to ask when I was at the garage. However since I am not from the UK, I have not access to AutoLosso, but there are some good local garages that specialize in Alfa`s and know their way around them
AO Silver Member

Brilliant stuff.

Egr and swirl flap delete a must. Good to hear your wishbones are done.

I will be polybushing mine this week sometime weather permitting. They really dont last long on a lowered car ! Creaking like a hookers mattress after less than 30k ! And they are genuine alfa parts..
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
I decided to take the plunge and remap the car next week. I will start with just a remap and after some time maybe get a bigger turbo. So anyway, if the clutch has started going bad, it should become obvious and I will change it. I will post an update after the remap, dyno test (possibly) and some real world driving

Thanks for all the help.
joeymannero likes this.
AO Member

County: Plovdiv
Remapping is not a good idea IMO. I personally wouldn't do it. Clutch and Flywheel are too expensive to experiment for 40hp increase.

How much did the EGR and Swirl Flap modifications cost you? Mine are both still in place.
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 04-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Since I did the modifications the same time I did the camp-belt and water pump change the swirl flaps removal was cheaper than usual. In total I believe it coast me between 250 and 300 euro, but the garage I did in was one of the pricier ones.

As for the remap, I have decided to do it, since before I have actually bought the car. It was just a question of when. Hopefully I will not be needing refubing the turbo and new clutch/flywheel , but I do have taken those possibilities into account.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
1st , 2nd , clutch , jtdm , slip

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page