Rear strut/ arm bolts removal help??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigdov

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 27-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Rear strut/ arm bolts removal help???

Tried multiple times to get the springs done on the 156( got a set of eibachs to be fitted) but keep getting thwarted by the bolts that hold the strut to the hub carrier, can get the nuts off no problem, but the actual bolts are seized into the strut even putting a breaker bar on the end to try and crack the bolt( guessing its rusted solid) hasn't proven successful, do have new trailing arm bolts to be fitted, but at a loss as to how to get them out, unless there's an alternative method as to how to do the rear springs without removing that bolt?
maxiboy wales likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire
heating the bolts with oxyacetylene torch until red hot usually helps more so if you have new bolts.. but saying that i had one stuck in the front leg though the alloy fork that wouldnt shift for love no money..

ended up replacing the leg and fork with used parts.. .. but at home... remove wheel soak with plus gas rust off or similar every night for a week... and try a large breaker bar.. otherwise pop into a local garage and ask them to heat them for you.. once moving can be sorted fully at home.
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 27-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

yeah do have new bolts read to replace them( well the long ones anyway), will get some plusgas ordered for the weekend and give it a bash( only had access to WD40 as couldn't find any of the usual penetrating fluid I use), not got access to an oxy torch but will give it a go with a butane blow torch( I know it may not get it red hot but may heat it up enough to expand it and then get it moving with the breaker bar) if that fails then I'll see if i can get an oxy torch on it( got mates with their own garage pretty sure they can give it a blast for some beer tokens )
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
If you have new bolts you could just cut the old feckers off .. given the crazy design the old ones may also be bent! What size breaker bar are you using? Think mine is 24" 1/2" and that got them out with loads of plusgas over a few days and so gentile tapping on the end of bolt 11 with a club hammer while levering on the breaker!!

There is a spacer tube (14) you will need though on the old bolts (11) .... try and retrieve that if you can't get a replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RearStrut.jpg (49.2 KB, 13 views)
(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 28-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

3ft 1/2 drive breaker bar may try adding the 6ft steel tube to give extra leverage as it does feel like it'd turning( but only on the one end which Makes me think it'd just twisting the bolt)

Can get new spacers( found them at ebspares or one of the Alfa parts places online for 10 quid plus delivery)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
cut them off and buy the spacers .. not easy though as the space is limited in there!
(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 28-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'll give it a bash with the above before I break out the grinder as as you mention space is limited even to get a 6" cutting disk in.

AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
Shifted mine with an Air Impact Gun, working them back and forth.
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 16-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well got both sides off eventually.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...42c7563ace.jpg

The bolts were proper seized, had to cut them, use washers to pull it through while using map gas to heat it up, did discover that the front trailing arms on both sides bushes were practically glued to the bolt so have ordered a new set of arms to get replaced when it's rebuilt.

AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
I couldn't do this either and I know the garage struggled too. Mine needed removal after the rear shock cup failed due to rust. Make sure your rear shocks are in good order before you put them back. Mine has the eibach springs with standard shocks. Works fine.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Massive quantities of violence using heat, impact guns and hammers has always for me in the end.

It makes such a difference doing this job on a car for the second time - they just slide out because you bothered to grease them.
(Post Link) post #12 of 14 Old 17-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
I couldn't do this either and I know the garage struggled too. Mine needed removal after the rear shock cup failed due to rust. Make sure your rear shocks are in good order before you put them back. Mine has the eibach springs with standard shocks. Works fine.
Rear shocks are in decent condition and not leaking, going to give them a tidy and clean up before refitting as well as giving the turret tops a good waxoyl coat as rust has started to appear up in them.

Do have to try and remove a snapped rear subframe bolts tho as one snapped whike dropping it to get the front arms off( fuel tank was in the way)

(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 17-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well scrub the above, removed the rubber seats from the shocks and then found a few holes in the spring seats so looks like new ish shocks are on order, so in the mean time will remove the arch liners and clean up the arches with some kurust and then coat with waxoyl to inhibit the rust which has started to take hold on the turret tops( got one small hole which will be able to be fibre glasses - not structural and should hopefully fix the leak I have into the boot)

(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well got the rears built back up today finally, but the weather has taken a turn for the worse so going for the squatted down look till I can get the fronts done hopefully next week.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...03dd3ce095.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...d6b09d4cbf.jpg

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
arm , bolts , rear , removal , strut or