Changing 16" 50mm wheel badges - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 26-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Garage
Changing 16" 50mm wheel badges

I got these wheel badges to replace the factory ones on my 147 with 16" wheels.

I've included a picture of my wheels.

The badges are aluminum stickers, similar to the 70mm Chinese front/back badges.

How do I install them? Does the wheel need to be removed and the badge removed from the inside? Or can I wedge something and try to pry the old badges out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (19.2 KB, 34 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Just get a flat head screwdriver or a blunt knife under the badge and lever it off. As long as the new badge is the same size it will fit in the gap.

Andy
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
You realise that the centre caps in the wheels are simply little plastic items and are not fixed to the wheel?

If you take the wheels off, you simply push them out from the back. Then you can stick on the new stickers properly. Otherwise, just stick on the stickers, but it may be hard to do so accurately as it could be awkward with the wheels still on the car.
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 27-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
You realise that the centre caps in the wheels are simply little plastic items and are not fixed to the wheel?

If you take the wheels off, you simply push them out from the back. Then you can stick on the new stickers properly. Otherwise, just stick on the stickers, but it may be hard to do so accurately as it could be awkward with the wheels still on the car.
I've checked some videos on youtube for other cars, and all of them are like you describe it. Also, the bigger badges (60mm etc) for Alfas, are always sold with the plastic clip thing that goes on the hole on the center of the wheel.

But are you sure this applies for the 50mm badges on older Alfa wheels? Because all 50mm badges I found are sold as simple stickers, and theres a GTV with the 17" version of my wheels in my neighborhood missing the badges and there's i no hole in the middle of the wheel. its the same material, just a few mm deeper and the sticker/badge seems to go there.
AO Silver Member

Wheels with no hole straight through? Never heard of such a thing on a modern car, but maybe I just don't know about it?

Anyway, at the link is a picture of a wheel like yours without a centre cap, showing that it has a hole straight through. http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...IGiekQwb7A.jpg
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 27-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Wheels with no hole straight through? Never heard of such a thing on a modern car, but maybe I just don't know about it?

Anyway, at the link is a picture of a wheel like yours without a centre cap, showing that it has a hole straight through. http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...IGiekQwb7A.jpg
Seems you are right then. I can't remove wheels by myself, but I will have them refurbished soon. I don't trust them to remove the old sticker from the plastic and stick the new one though. If they remove the plastic centers and put the wheels without the centers on the car, can I just clip the plastic centers with the new stickers on the car without removing the wheels?
AO Silver Member

Sorry to ask this, but are you sure your wheels are 16 inch? Wasn't that design only offered on the 147 in 17 inch? Looks like that to me on Eper.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 27-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Sorry to ask this, but are you sure your wheels are 16 inch? Wasn't that design only offered on the 147 in 17 inch? Looks like that to me on Eper.
The wheels might have come from a 156 then? They sure are 16 inch.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kourampies View Post
Seems you are right then. I can't remove wheels by myself, but I will have them refurbished soon. I don't trust them to remove the old sticker from the plastic and stick the new one though. If they remove the plastic centers and put the wheels without the centers on the car, can I just clip the plastic centers with the new stickers on the car without removing the wheels?
Well, if I am right and you have normal centre caps in your wheels, then I don't think there's any "sticker" to remove from the centre caps. You'd simply stick the new stickers over the current logos on the centre caps.

You can just clip the plastic centre caps into the wheels without removing the wheels, yes. They do usually require a fair whack to go in.

Another thing you could obviously do if you wanted, is to buy some random centre caps from any auto shop and stick the Alfa badges onto those. Then you can keep your standard (but faded or damaged, I assume) centre caps.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kourampies View Post
The wheels might have come from a 156 then? They sure are 16 inch.
Ah, yes, I think your wheels are probably part number 60683486, as originally fitted on the 156 2-litre TS.
(Post Link) post #11 of 14 Old 27-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Well, if I am right and you have normal centre caps in your wheels, then I don't think there's any "sticker" to remove from the centre caps. You'd simply stick the new stickers over the current logos on the centre caps.

You can just clip the plastic centre caps into the wheels without removing the wheels, yes. They do usually require a fair whack to go in.

Another thing you could obviously do if you wanted, is to buy some random centre caps from any auto shop and stick the Alfa badges onto those. Then you can keep your standard (but faded or damaged, I assume) centre caps.
I don't think the stickers are intended to go over the existing badges. They are very curved, I don't think they ll stick properly. I think the idea is to remove the metal sticker from the factory plastic, and stick the stickers in there. Similarly to the chinese front and back badges. I'll discuss it with the wheel refurbish guy when the time comes then...

Quote:
Ah, yes, I think your wheels are probably part number 60683486, as originally fitted on the 156 2-litre TS.
Are you sure about this? Because I would say 40% of the 147s with Alfa wheels in the Greek roads have those 16" wheels. The other 50% are the stock 15", and the remaining 10% the 17" version of mine. There have been very few 2 liter 156s in Greece due to the extreme taxation that makes anything over 1.9l impossible to own, so I don't think they come from scrapped cars.
AO Silver Member

Hmmm, well, who knows what your neighbours sent over to Greece :P
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 27-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Hmmm, well, who knows what your neighbours sent over to Greece :P
You probably have ePer configured to your country and you are not seeing all options
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Quote:
options maybe .. not standard 16"s in UK.

And Peugeot do non-removable centre cap wheels too .. almost impossible to get anyone to balance them!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
50mm , badges , changing 16 , wheel