Help with my new Alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Help with my new Alfa

Alfa 147 1.9 16V 140ish hp
First , the cat is removed and after driving it hard the original turbo hose went kaput. I will change that, no problem. My actual problems:
1. A lot of the clamps are rusted and cause some leaks. Can they damage the hose they're holding before I change em?
2. 5th gear is awfully hard to choose. I have the 6th speed box and the only way to change from 4th to 5th is to go through neutral= a slow change. If i push the gear stick too much it won't go to the right and I'll hit 3rd. That happens most of the times. Other times though, i go too much to the right and it doesn't engage. Are my gearings just bad or is thst how it is? It's my first car, fyi, I'm not very used to go into 5th, but i do 2nd-->3th fast enough to keep the wheel spin while letting go immediately off the clutch, so not sure what to think. It feels as if 5th and 6th are on a different "pack" compared to the rest. Is that all normal?
2. Sport suspension. It feels as if I'll break the car from every little bump. Holy... It's only new springs.
3. Side left & right light failure. I suppose they're the headlights below my blinkers?
Thanks to all in advance, I'm truly a novice and have fallen already in love with my Alfa, even if I can't go over 2k RPM with mu bandaged turbo hose( it's the top one btw)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
You said 2 twice. Anyhow:

First 2: That could be since it's your first car, when I had my first car, i was always afraid that I'd hit 3rd instead of 5th and always did the slow change (to neutral and then to 5th), but with the 147 I don't have any problems. But maybe you just need to get used to it.

Second two: Mine was very low and every bump felt like it would break my car, especially those rough roads. That's just how it is. The suspension is pretty "soft". Soft as in, it breaks easily, at least from my experience. It was driven in a place where the roads are okay before I got it, and when I did, it started being driven in places with ****ty roads. Now, I still need a few suspension components because it creaks at bumps.

3. Non-original lightbulbs. Could that "side light" be the door light? The light that lights up when you open your doors? The ones built on the back of the doors? I'm not sure which lights exactly it means but I'm pretty sure it's because the lights aren't original and are not giving the same resistance as an original bulb. I have that with my car. Headlights (xenon) and the license plate light aren't original and are always reporting issues when starting the car.

Hope you fix your issues man! I've had this alfa for a year today, and it's seriously the best looking car money can buy for this price, and even more. At least, in my opinion.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijst View Post
You said 2 twice. Anyhow:

First 2: That could be since it's your first car, when I had my first car, i was always afraid that I'd hit 3rd instead of 5th and always did the slow change (to neutral and then to 5th), but with the 147 I don't have any problems. But maybe you just need to get used to it.

Second two: Mine was very low and every bump felt like it would break my car, especially those rough roads. That's just how it is. The suspension is pretty "soft". Soft as in, it breaks easily, at least from my experience. It was driven in a place where the roads are okay before I got it, and when I did, it started being driven in places with ****ty roads. Now, I still need a few suspension components because it creaks at bumps.

3. Non-original lightbulbs. Could that "side light" be the door light? The light that lights up when you open your doors? The ones built on the back of the doors? I'm not sure which lights exactly it means but I'm pretty sure it's because the lights aren't original and are not giving the same resistance as an original bulb. I have that with my car. Headlights (xenon) and the license plate light aren't original and are always reporting issues when starting the car.

Hope you fix your issues man! I've had this alfa for a year today, and it's seriously the best looking car money can buy for this price, and even more. At least, in my opinion.
Lights on the doors are all working, checked them first. Had Rear Fog Light Failure , but fixed it with some tape on the number plate lights ()
Roads here are ....not ideal to say the least. Main roads in the city are perfect, but I'm not going more than 65-70km/h on them. Some back roads, being equipped with 225/17 high quality rubber and lowered, I go at least double that. The bumps are annoying .
Noticed that with the tires and all my car really follows the road. If the road has a downwards sideways slope, my car will follow it and swerve to that direction. On a normal surface, it's all straight. The grip is immense , even with traction control OFF.

Anyways, here are some shots of my baby: http://imgur.com/a/NgP4a . Currently considering to buy myself a black-on-white front emblem ,because no emblem at all doesn't give me the right vibe. First off, the technical issues though. The car is a beast above 2200RPM , the turbo is all spooled up and just allows me to go to jail easily. As with the broken turbo hose, 2000RPM is my current limit in order to daily it. Boring.

Last edited by tishobg; 25-07-16 at 14:58.
AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
Lights on the doors are all working, checked them first. Had Rear Fog Light Failure , but fixed it with some tape on the number plate lights ()
Roads here are ....not ideal to say the least. Main roads in the city are perfect, but I'm not going more than 65-70km/h on them. Some back roads, being equipped with 225/17 high quality rubber and lowered, I go at least double that. The bumps are annoying .
Noticed that with the tires and all my car really follows the road. If the road has a downwards sideways slope, my car will follow it and swerve to that direction. On a normal surface, it's all straight. The grip is immense , even with traction control OFF.

Anyways, here are some shots of my baby: My ALFA 147 1.9 JTD 16V - Album on Imgur . Currently considering to buy myself a black-on-white front emblem ,because no emblem at all doesn't give me the right vibe. First off, the technical issues though. The car is a beast above 2200RPM , the turbo is all spooled up and just allows me to go to jail easily. As with the broken turbo hose, 2000RPM is my current limit in order to daily it. Boring.
Yeah, I know they work but theyre probably not the original bulbs but LEDs which have a lower resistance so the sensor thinks it doesnt work. As for the car following ridges thats due to the wide tires, I have 225 17 too and 215s are recommended but I doubt 1cm would help much with that. Also mins used to be even lowee than yours but I mistakenly got normal springs when replacing so Im stuck with normal height for some time. Ill post some pics if u wanna see. Mine is only 110 hp tho :/.

Also, when I was looking at your pics, I only saw the first and I wondered if you're from Bulgaria...I actually wanted to ask if it's Bulgaria. Now I saw your license plate. I'm a psychic, I guess!

Last edited by gijst; 25-07-16 at 22:36.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 26-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijst View Post
Yeah, I know they work but theyre probably not the original bulbs but LEDs which have a lower resistance so the sensor thinks it doesnt work. As for the car following ridges thats due to the wide tires, I have 225 17 too and 215s are recommended but I doubt 1cm would help much with that. Also mins used to be even lowee than yours but I mistakenly got normal springs when replacing so Im stuck with normal height for some time. Ill post some pics if u wanna see. Mine is only 110 hp tho :/.

Also, when I was looking at your pics, I only saw the first and I wondered if you're from Bulgaria...I actually wanted to ask if it's Bulgaria. Now I saw your license plate. I'm a psychic, I guess!
Yes, some pictures would be cool. I love seeing other people's alfas.
On another topic, My rear fog light melted the tape i used and I'm again getting the rear fog light failure, a heat resistant tape is in order.
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
Alfa 147 1.9 16V 140ish hp
First , the cat is removed and after driving it hard the original turbo hose went kaput. I will change that, no problem. My actual problems:
1. A lot of the clamps are rusted and cause some leaks. Can they damage the hose they're holding before I change em?
2. 5th gear is awfully hard to choose. I have the 6th speed box and the only way to change from 4th to 5th is to go through neutral= a slow change. If i push the gear stick too much it won't go to the right and I'll hit 3rd. That happens most of the times. Other times though, i go too much to the right and it doesn't engage. Are my gearings just bad or is thst how it is? It's my first car, fyi, I'm not very used to go into 5th, but i do 2nd-->3th fast enough to keep the wheel spin while letting go immediately off the clutch, so not sure what to think. It feels as if 5th and 6th are on a different "pack" compared to the rest. Is that all normal?
2. Sport suspension. It feels as if I'll break the car from every little bump. Holy... It's only new springs.
3. Side left & right light failure. I suppose they're the headlights below my blinkers?
Thanks to all in advance, I'm truly a novice and have fallen already in love with my Alfa, even if I can't go over 2k RPM with mu bandaged turbo hose( it's the top one btw)

Ahh fella it sounds like a bit of a case. gearbox wise it could be worn bushings or a knackered syncromesh! These cars are not cheap to maintain and worn examples can cost you a lot to put right. Where are you based?

Damien.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 27-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Ahh fella it sounds like a bit of a case. gearbox wise it could be worn bushings or a knackered syncromesh! These cars are not cheap to maintain and worn examples can cost you a lot to put right. Where are you based?

Damien.
I'm from Varna, Bulgaria. We have a very good shop specialized in Alfas where I'll be leaving the car tomorrow.
Gearbox wise, I think I got the hang of it. Basically, From 4th to 5th, the throw to neutral is shorter than what I'm used to and I often try to go to 5th when I'm already in the "path" of 3rd. Now that I found out that, I always hit 5th without a problem, same goes for 6th. Of course It's a slower change than 2nd--> 3rd but I'm getting better and better at it. I'll still check the gearbox for any faults.

The car I bought has been the most well maintained variant i've seen and I travelled all across the country to find it. It has service history (which is literally non-existant in Bulgaria) and nearly everything vital has been changed at least once. The clutch, the entire front end, other bits and bobs. Fresh tires, only thermostat and turbo hose are a problem. Some clamps aren't a real problem, it's a 13yr car after all.
P.S. Got it for 1700EUR , 1.9JTD 16V .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa