Strange noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Exclamation Strange noise

Good moaning everyone.... recently my Alfa has been running fine however yesterday a noise started near the cam cover. It sounds similar to a dry ( or drying ) bearing. I do remember a few weeks ago as we had the dogs in the car and it was warm we popped on the A/c , later that day as the car was idling I noticed a change in the normal engine noise. Over time I have got the noise however yesterday it changed tone a little so my spidey sense pricked up. Could the A/c pump be on its way out, can I get a shorter belt that would bypass the pump? If so is it a fairly straight forward job?....this is assuming it may be this noise, or could it be something else.

www.ATD-DETAILING.com

We all have the right to be stupid.....just don't abuse the privelege
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Aalborg
Garage
If it is related to the AC compressor, the noise should disappear if you switch the AC off.
The compressor is located at the front of the engine.
If the noise is coming from the left/backside (seen when standing in front of the car) of the camcover it could be the valve variator that makes the noise.
If so then I would recommend to change the variator next you have to change cambelt.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik_45 View Post
If it is related to the AC compressor, the noise should disappear if you switch the AC off.
The compressor is located at the front of the engine.
If the noise is coming from the left/backside (seen when standing in front of the car) of the camcover it could be the valve variator that makes the noise.
If so then I would recommend to change the variator next you have to change cambelt.
It is definitely coming from the left hand side ( When looking at the engine ) near the cam cover area. I have done the old extension bar to ear and suspected area trick and there is nothing evil coming from behind the sump. however when i put it on the lower crank pulley it sounded dry if that makes any sense.

If I got some spray lube and gave each pulley / tensioner a quick squirt to see if anyof them calmed down for a second would that help, or is it not advisable putting anything there.

(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

I have been poking about in it tonight since coming home and the AUX belt looks like it needs replacing so I will do that tomorrow and check the tensioner at the same time.

This is the state of the belt....

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...psyoj9txtz.jpg

And this is how the noise sounds. ( Excuse the dirt ive not cleaned the engine bay in a few weeks )

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...psqpbkqqzg.mp4

Could it be the AUX belt and its tensioner?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13835470_1486467091379464_1130870917_o.jpg (72.6 KB, 6 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Nice find - that aux belt has certainly seen better days....

Give all the pulleys a good feel whilst you're in there with the belt off... Anything feels remotely rough then get a new one from Shop4Parts for cheaps.... When mine was in getting done it ended up needing a new alternator and the dampened crankshaft pulley (as well as new tensioner and idlers which I'd prepared for..)! Was making a right rattle at low engine speeds before that!!
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Nice find - that aux belt has certainly seen better days....

Give all the pulleys a good feel whilst you're in there with the belt off... Anything feels remotely rough then get a new one from Shop4Parts for cheaps.... When mine was in getting done it ended up needing a new alternator and the dampened crankshaft pulley (as well as new tensioner and idlers which I'd prepared for..)! Was making a right rattle at low engine speeds before that!!

Thanks for that bud, Ill get the belt off tomorrow and have a good grope around.
AO Member

County: Canterbury
Have you tried switching the AC off (Push button under the temp twist knob with little green light). My car does this. Sound stops and starts depending on whether the air con is on or off.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 27-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

I have yes. I did that almost straight away.
Yesterday I removed the AUX belt and ran the car to see if that made any difference to the noise and not really, so today I took the cam belt cover off and the noise was not as bad. However I have looked at the balance belt and it seems to have a lot of movement.....should I replace it or is this normal?

https://youtu.be/9Vdg2hy1pYg
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

The air conditioning definitely adds to the diesel sound. AC together with a dying variator sounds like a diesel Traktor.

The gas station guys almost put diesel to my Twin Spark 147 due to this

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
noise , strange

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page