GT 1.9JTD mcsf - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 21-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire
GT 1.9JTD mcsf

Hi, I have had intermittent airbag lights and now a mcsf light on all the time.
I want to buy a code reader from Ebay but there are vast differences in price between them. I can't fighure it out.
Some are pc based and some are hand held units but they only do engine codes not airbag/ABS.

I want one that does everything and don't mind if pc based.

The flaps on inlet manifold are all disconnected. If I'm not mistaken the drive motor is linked to cylinder 3 and has snapped the little pip on top to link rod. Not sure what position they default to without linkage but car is very sluggish until 2000 rpm is reached. Could this be the issue with mcsf?

Any advice welcome

Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Download Fes and buy a suitable cable that allows pins to be swapped. I think you might need the paid for version of Fes to reset the airbag but diagnosis is possible with the free version. On newer cars 2002(guess) once the fault is fixed the light will go out without a reset. Try cleaning the yellow plugs under the seats and the one in the boot on the right side if you have a 156. These are the usual culprits and once connected cleanly your airbag light may go out without the need for a reset.
I'm not sure I understand the flap arrangement you describe. If this is a jtdm 147 then you might be describing the swirl flaps that a previous owner has disabled as they are prone to failure and can cause significant engine damage.
It's worth searching the forum before posting as much of what you describe sounds like normal weaknesses within the cars design that all owners have had to overcome at some point. Diagnosis and fixes are well documented. Good luck.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Any cheap generic reader or phone app should be able to read the engine code and point you in the general direction concerning the power loss. Again if this is adiesel I'd be guessing vacuum hoses to the vnt, sticky egr, dirty or broken maf or map sensor. All of these are relatively easily diagnosed and cheaply fixed.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 22-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Ok thanks. I will do some digging on the forum and check and clean some parts over the weekend.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
19jtd , mcsf