Quick question re GT/GTA brake upgrade to a std 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 20-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Queensland
Quick question re GT/GTA brake upgrade to a std 156

As above some quick questions for those who have done this or seen it done.

I have at facelift '03 156 1.9 JTD Sportwagon.

I have acquired from a 2010 3.2GT; front uprights, 330mm brembo calipers, rotors and pads, bolts etc. The car had only 13K on it when broken. My brakes are due for changing although more importantly I need to change out a damaged lower ball joint so will refresh the suspension again (my car is now on 134miles)

I have original 17" GTA teledials for clearance, and they're lovely looking things.

I have purchased new front wheel bearings/carriers as I will have to either reuse and refit my original hubs to the GT uprights to accept my drive shafts and I understand that removing the hubs from the bearings essentially destroys/seperates the bearing.

Two quick questions.

1. I have been told, but can't find any info online; that I will also need GT/GTA tie rods/steering arms? I'd really like to understand if this is correct, as I don't want the car off the road when I swap it all over for want of an extra part.

2. Does anybody know if the hubs from a 2litre twinspark or JTS are the same (splines, shaft thickness, etc.) as the 1.9JTD?

If so I can assemble the entire new upright without removing anything from my car. Australia never recv. the JTD whereas there are plenty of dead petrol 156 I can source a pair of hubs from to save time disassembling mine if the hub is identical (my internet sleuthing is not qualitative)

03 1.9JTD8v Sportwagon +GTA teledials for the win!!

Last edited by craig_m67; 20-07-16 at 02:16.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng
There might be some might frown to this, but it works fine... it does not upset balance and it does not upset strength of hub

2. Yes TS and JTD has the same spline pattern. swap the GT hubs for you own hubs:
Cut a single wedge big enough to get an allen key to the bolts and tap out the hub / bearing assembly and swap the GT hubs for you own hubs.

1. The std tie rods does reach, but you have to turn it out quite a bit to get the wheels pointing forward again (you have to go for professional wheel alignment after you eye-ball them straight - I feel safe enough with it that way on my racers
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 156HubsGTArest02.jpeg (68.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg 156HubsGTArest01.jpeg (87.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Gertie; 22-07-16 at 07:44.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , brake , gt or gta , question , quick , std , upgrade