156 1.6 Starter motor issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

156 GTA & 156 Ti

156 1.6 Starter motor issue

Hi all!

My starter motor has failed.
Turned the key, and all I could hear was the click click of the solenoid (or rather what I think is the solenoid) and no engine crank.

Well, nothing lost, nothing gained (car needs a tow anyway) so I thought to remove the starter and have a look.
I dug down deep (past the bloody plenum where some loony engineer had decided to mount wire retaining clips on the underside (argh!!) ) and found the starter.

When I dismounted it, I noticed another wire in the starter motor area, that was not connected to anything (see image below) what is this from ?
https://i.imgsafe.org/d53a960cfa.jpg
I did not purposely disconnect anything resembling it, and it is connected by a small plastic tie to the other two starter connectors, so I don't know... could it be related to my starter motor issue ?

I have since tried Sylvester Stallone's test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAjMO3Zu88s
and the starter seems to work fine, it spins and it clicks, so whats the story, you think ?

2003 156 GTA Selespeed - Alfa Rosso + black multispokes, Eibach anti rollbars, Quaife ATB diff, 330mm brakes, Bilstein B12, De-cat wrapped manifolds + EQ downpipes + Ragazzon silencer, CDA intake, (carefully) removed interior & Sparco bucket seats + 6 point harness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 6 Old 19-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 156 Ti

No one ?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

There's a big cable from the battery running to the starter, then another big one that attaches to the same point and goes to the alternator. The small one connects to the starter solenoid.
So you mean there's a fourth cable hanging loose?

AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Brera 2.4

As said above all 3 cables should go to the starter.
Before you removed it did you check the earth cables, if it was just clicking and now off the car works fine it points towards a bad earth return,
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 19-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 156 Ti

Argh! Yes!
I only copped on to that when I read these and opened up eLearn. The eejit that was there before me, never tightened the final (third) wire, and just left it loose on top of the starter.
that is why it was not "on" when I started to mess about, and why the starter SOMETIMES worked, and sometimes not!

Ah flippin 'ell I gave the starter to a local guys, who had a look at it and says "hm.. this looks fairly new".

Ah well everyday is a school day.
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Brera 2.4

With the starter refitted if it still doesnt work then put a jump lead between the battery negative and somewhere metal on the engine, if it then cranks fine then you have a broken earth cable.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , issue , motor , starter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page