Swap Airbag ECU to 2004 onwards - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon
Swap Airbag ECU to 2004 onwards

So I have a theory;

The 147 pre-2004, the airbag warning light will stay on when there is a break in the wiring (moving a seat etc) but when it's fixed or cured the airbag light will still stay on.
You can only reset the light with diagnostic kit.

Now if I buy diagnostic kit like the cable and software allowing me to reset the light, and also granted anything else (which happens never) it'll be a cost and could be expensive.

If I keep having the light reset for every MOT that's expensive.

If the light is on like it is now as far as anyone is aware if I crash then the airbags won't deploy.

I have soldered the airbag connectors in the B pillars, and currently soldering the connectors in the rear next to the rear lights.
(Yes battery disconnected).

Obviously need to solder the ones under the seats being the main culprits.

Now if these six connectors are soldered and no dodgy connector break risks anymore; a final diagnostic reset should sort it all I guess?

Anyway what I was thinking-

Since a 2004 onwards airbag ECU will reset itself when the break is fixed-

I am getting some parts off a 147 next week (mainly cosmetic) but what if I just swapped my airbag ECU to a newer one 2004 onwards one?

I don't think it'd be too expensive considering what I'd save money and time wise too!!

Would this indeed fix the airbag warning light for any future mishaps?

Is it just a couple of connectors into it and a few screws?

Anyone else done this?

Any success?

Any thoughts/ advice welcome as always thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Stockholm
Diagnostic cable and the software isn't really all that expensive nor is it an on-going cost. Once you buy them you have them forever. So the cost there is quite negligible. Plus I would say the cable is a MUST for any DIY'er. For most things you don't need to buy the software (Airbag I think you do) but even then its relatively cheap considering its cheaper than even the most basic of garage visits.

Regarding swapping the ECU, without knowing for sure, I would suggest that its not as simple as just swapping the airbag ECU as there may be issues with the body computer communicating with it. But wait for others to chime in here as I am in no way certain, its just my inkling.

2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 21-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon
Recently it looked like the cable would be about 40 then another 40 for the software to sort the airbag light.
Don't care about any other diagnostics for the car wouldn't know what I'd be doing anyway!
Just over the whole airbag light so I really need to just get soldering the seat connectors sooner rather than later in any case.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

2004 , airbag , ecu , onwards , swap