Brake pedal travel still rather long... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 30-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.6TS

Brake pedal travel still rather long...

Having noticed some excessive travel in brake pedal a while ago, I took to the garage and bled the system with some new fluid. Since then the pedal feels relatively firmer but until recently the pedal travel seems to have increased a tad. I've looked inside the bonnet and driveway and can't seem to find any apparant leak. Engine-off servo test also results positively with zero pedal movement(after couple of pumps).

Brakes ultimately work fine and stop the car in satisfactory distance, but it's only there is more pedal travel than I would like. This is particularly noticable when gradually braking at low speed or just after setting off (like it needs warming up). Braking hard from high speed or coming to a roundabout junction the brake pedal feels relatively firmer then the former though. The amount of pedal travel is kind of an intermittent cycle, sometimes less and sometimes more.

Bleeding the fluid is the first thing I've done, what's next? would it be caliper pistons adjustment or more serious still a defective master cylinder? Or would this problem more likely to be pads+discs and hose related and as a common trait on standard 147s brakes which an upgrade would solve this?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Re: Brake pedal travel still rather long...

It could be warped discs giving more than usual pad "knock-off" before initial brake application....My current 156 SW has a longer travel than some of the other 156s I have about and I reckon thats the cause...when it warms up a bit / stops raining I've got the new discs and pads to fit...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brake , long , pedal , travel