Lower wishbone ball joint - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Upex
  • 1 Post By dgmayhead
  • 2 Post By kopper87
  • 1 Post By gazza82
  • 1 Post By kopper87

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 13-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Lower wishbone ball joint

So I got my car checked out today regarding some issues i've been having with the suspension.. (Creaking at low speeds when I go over speed bumps, potholes etc) and the main one (rubbing/grinding noise whenever I turn left or right).. mechanic said that the upper wishbone arm definitely needs changing and that the lower wishbone ball joint MAY be causing issues too.

Before I get both front upper and lower arms replaced, is there anything I can do to try and solve these issues? I've read some threads where people have injected grease or sprayed lubricant on the upper bushs and lower ball joints? Is there a guide for this? As I have no clue where to look or how to do this.

I'm looking to sell my 147 right after this issue is resolved so looking for the cheapest fix.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

05 1.9 JTDm GT

If your looking to sell it kopper, get them done. If you use lube etc, it's a temp fix at best and you'll just be sticking the buyer with the same problems a few weeks later, which is a ****ty thing to do. (I've been there many times and currently am fixing a bike that I picked up in Feb. If the chap wasn't 5 hrs each way, I'd have thrown it back at him through his front window)
dgmayhead likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Agree with the above. The silicon spray can work its magic for just long enough to sell your car and then a couple of weeks later start creaking again for the new owner. A dirty trick indeed.

Get it fixed or sell with the creak but don't be a c u next Tuesday, there's already too many in the world.
Upex likes this.

(Post Link) post #4 of 23 Old 14-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

That's true, it's happened to me before so I definitely don't want to lumber someone else with that.

Do you think it's worth doing the upper wishbones first to see if it resolves the problem, then maybe do the lowers if needed? Or would it make financial sense to do them all at the same time? Seen some complete sets on eBay going for around 70/80
Upex and dgmayhead like this.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Ebay sets are a waste of time .. all you do is pass on the inferior parts to the next guy.

You have two choices: fit them before you sell or be prepared to drop the price to allow the next owner to have then done, but budget for about twice what ebay costs .. look at the TRW parts on AlfaWorkshop.
will01 likes this.
AO Member

County: West Cumbria
Garage
I'd replace the uppers first and see how it is, experience on this model is that it's the first to go (plus cheaper and easier place to start), each side shouldn't take you more than hour top
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
You could use the silcon spray as a diagnostic tool. Spray on the upper only and see if all noise is gone. Then just replace the upper. If you were keeping the car i'd change both to keep labour costs down but it's quite an extra cost just to sell your car on.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
If bushes are gone they can be replaced, cheaper option and can updrade to powerlfex. As others have said silicone or PTFE spray will help diagnose but don't stick this on to cover things up for the new owner.

I wouldn't bother with injecting grease or hardeners into the ball joint, if its gone replace the whole unit.
(Post Link) post #9 of 23 Old 14-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok thanks guys, I'll do this to find out if it's definitely that.

Can you tell me exactly where I should be looking to pin point where I need to spray? Not quite sure where the upper bushes are located
AO Silver Member

Go to Alfa workshop.co.uk the have some very good guides on replacing upper and lower arms.
AO Gold Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopper87 View Post
Ok thanks guys, I'll do this to find out if it's definitely that.

Can you tell me exactly where I should be looking to pin point where I need to spray? Not quite sure where the upper bushes are located
On the upper arms: the bushes can be seen at either end of the long pivot bolt. This passes through the aluminium mount at the top of the strut. Follow the arm back and it's obvious.
(Post Link) post #12 of 23 Old 01-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

So I got the upper wishbone arm replaced and that didn't do anything to resolve the problems, they are still there.

I'm guessing now that my next step to take would be to replace the lower wishbone arm to hopefully sort the grinding/rubbing noise and squeaking noise.

My question is, does it make sense to replace the front drop link aswell on that side while the wishbone arm is being replaced? Could that be a culprit for the noises/grinding?
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
The easiest way to check if the drop links are the issue is to take them off, tie the anti roll bar up with cable ties and go for a drive. Worn drop links can display very similar symptoms in terms of noise to worn upper arms. If you are unsure when they were last changed then it's worth replacing them anyway as they are not too expensive. Replacing the lower arms is a little involved the first time around, but perfectly doable on the drive way.
I'd advise to always use genuine parts also, TRW, but that'll most likely open up a can of worms here.

Unimpressed by cars with less than 4 cylinders or below 1600cc.....and don't get me started on hybrids
AO Silver Member

Quote:
So I got the upper wishbone arm replaced and that didn't do anything to resolve the problems, they are still there.

I'm guessing now that my next step to take would be to replace the lower wishbone arm to hopefully sort the grinding/rubbing noise and squeaking noise.

My question is, does it make sense to replace the front drop link aswell on that side while the wishbone arm is being replaced? Could that be a culprit for the noises/grinding?
Replace the drop link they're cheap. I've had to drill, grind blowtorch and hammer mine out they were so corroded on.

Yes lower arms are next, I'm in the process of doing mine now. They're a faff but doable! Agree TRW is the way to go, Laurence at Autolusso says don't even bother trying to re-bush your lower arms.

Hello guys, what is a logical labor cost for changing upper/lower arms at once? Considering that we have already bought the parts.
(Post Link) post #16 of 23 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaScuderia View Post
Hello guys, what is a logical labor cost for changing upper/lower arms at once? Considering that we have already bought the parts.
Probably 3/4 hours labour for doing upper and lower, most garages normally charge 45/50 an hour.
(Post Link) post #17 of 23 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Update: so after replacing the uppers and still having the issue there, I got the lower wishbone arm and drop link replaced and voila, problem gone!
beekyg likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Update: so after replacing the uppers and still having the issue there, I got the lower wishbone arm and drop link replaced and voila, problem gone!
Just done mine, strongflex uppers, new TRW lowers and TRW droplinks. Even ground away some rust and Hammerite'd the inner wings. Drives like a new car, sharper handling no clunks/creaks and no rattle when I come to a halt.

Did you notice any driving improvement?

Glad your problem sorted. Yeah i was estimating around 200 tbh.
Shimmerydolmeo i will get everything TRW (upper,lower,droplinks) and i m happy to hear it is perfect
(Post Link) post #20 of 23 Old 09-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yep, handling has improved a considerable amount. Steering is much easier to turn, the car doesnt feel like its dropping to the right side and is much more smoother.

However, driving it this morning to walk and I noticed that the rubbing/grinding sound is still there!! It only happens when you turn left or right, not going straight. I've now had the front and lower wishbone arms and drop links replaced on that side. What would be next to check/replace? It's driving me mad!

There is so much rubber underneath that you lose track sometimes :P I will change the track rod end and the inner track end to have peace of mind. It might be suspension's top mount? Have you ever changed them?
(Post Link) post #22 of 23 Old 09-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaScuderia View Post
There is so much rubber underneath that you lose track sometimes :P I will change the track rod end and the inner track end to have peace of mind. It might be suspension's top mount? Have you ever changed them?
Nope, I only got the car a few months ago so nothings been changed apart from what I listed. I'll have to check that out too
AO Gold Member

Garage
Quote:
However, driving it this morning to walk and I noticed that the rubbing/grinding sound is still there!! It only happens when you turn left or right, not going straight. I've now had the front and lower wishbone arms and drop links replaced on that side. What would be next to check/replace? It's driving me mad!
Wheel bearing and CV joints ..

You'll be keeping it at this rate!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
ball , joint , lower , wishbone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page