2004 147 Lights (In & Out) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

2004 147 Lights (In & Out)

Lets start with the simplest issue: The interior. Any suggestions for cheap (Aliexpress preferred), working LED interior lights that are white and brighter than the original ones, while spreading the light properly? I've found complete kits on misc sites but they are like 40+ euros, while if you buy individual bulbs on aliexpress or ebay, its less than 10 total. Still no idea about the bulb types or what to avoid.

On to the more complicated stuff. My 2004 147 has the stock headlights with some aftermarket xenon conversion on the dip beam. I guess its not the worst kind since I can see ok without blinding other drivers. The height adjustment motors are dead and disconnected. While the height setup is ok, I think my headlights are a little cross eyed. The right (passenger one) points right in front of the car, while In other cars it points higher and much more to the right. I've seen the headlight has two manual adjustments. The one on top adjusts the height of the main beam. This is easily adjustable and noticeable when pointing the car with the mid beams on to any wall. Is the other one for left/right adjustment of the whole headlight? Or is it something else (perhaps high beam height adjustment)? I tried turning it a little by hand but I've seen no difference doing the simple wall test. I didn't turn it a lot because I didn't know if it would mess the high beams.

Then, some bulb suggestions.
First the front fog lights. There is no real use for them here, no fog or bad weather all year round. I was thinking of doing some kind of swap that could help on totally dark roads. No need for it to be road legal, the brightest and whitest the better, as long as it works and doesn't fry the headlight/fuses. Any bulb suggestions (without any more xenon conversions)?
Then the high beams. Any suggestions for bulbs to accompany the xenon mid beams? The current ones are way too yellow and almost seem dim when used together with the dip beams. Again, there's no real limitation regarding if it is road legal, but I don't want to seriously blind others.

Last edited by kourampies; 12-07-16 at 16:36.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

Regarding the interior: according to some italian alfa forums, the front and back ceiling ones seem to be 36mm festoon ones, and I bought those.

I dont know if the CANBUS thing is needed, I dont think the car checks the interior lights, still I guess those are the more modern/efficient ones.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kourampies View Post
I've seen the headlight has two manual adjustments. The one on top adjusts the height of the main beam. This is easily adjustable and noticeable when pointing the car with the mid beams on to any wall. Is the other one for left/right adjustment of the whole headlight? Or is it something else (perhaps high beam height adjustment)? I tried turning it a little by hand but I've seen no difference doing the simple wall test. I didn't turn it a lot because I didn't know if it would mess the high beams.
The headlight adjustments (up/down & left/right) adjust the whole headlight unit. Main Beam and Dip Beam are locked together.

Quote:
Then, some bulb suggestions.
Then the high beams. Any suggestions for bulbs to accompany the xenon mid beams? The current ones are way too yellow and almost seem dim when used together with the mid beams. Again, there's no real limitation regarding if it is road legal, but I don't want to seriously blind others.
Re blinding others. YOU WILL NOT HAVE MAIN BEAMS ON IF THERE ARE OTHER CARS AROUND.....
BUT HID conversions are not ideal for main beam because they take time to brighten up, so by the time they've warmed up, another car will be coming so you'll have to go back to Dip Beam only again.

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

Sorry, language confusion here. By main I was talking about the mid/regular lights, the ones where the green led indicator lights on the dash. And by high, I was talking about the big ones, where the blue indicator lights in the dash. I thought dip meant the smallest ones, the first position on the switch.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry, language confusion here. By main I was talking about the mid/regular lights, the ones where the green led indicator lights on the dash. And by high, I was talking about the big ones, where the blue indicator lights in the dash. I thought dip meant the smallest ones, the first position on the switch.
First position on the switch is the Sidelights (the small 6W Halogens on the front and 5W Tungsten bulbs on the rear).

2nd position on the switch is the Dip Beam.
Then Push (or pull) stalk to get Main-Beam/High-Beam (with the blue warning light).

You don't run with Main/High Beams on when there is other traffic in front of you (either travelling in the same direction or coming towards you)
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

Ok thanks. So recapping, sidelights are stock, no need to change. Dip beam is HID conversion, no need to change, high beam is stock.

I want to change the high beam to something more powerful and white because now it seems way too yellow and dim. And if something equivalent can be done with the front fog lights, I would like to change them too.

Last edited by kourampies; 12-07-16 at 16:34.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Ok thanks. So recapping, sidelights are stock, no need to change. Dip beam is HID conversion, no need to change, high beam is stock.

I want to change the high beam to something more powerful and white because now it seems way too yellow and dim. And if something equivalent can be done with the front fog lights, I would like to change them too.
OK, but as said above:
HID conversion are not ideal for Main/High beam because they take time to brighten up, so by the time they've warmed up, another car will be coming so you'll have to go back to Dip Beam only again.

Which just leaves you with the top of the range Philips or Osram Halogen bulbs. But avoid anything with a blue tint if your primary aim is to be able to see where you are going. Any tint will reduce light output.

There are LEDs appearing now, but I've no personal experience of those.

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , 2004 , lights

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page