Many light failure errors when starting the car...? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By joeymannero

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 11-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bosnia & Herzegovina
Garage
Many light failure errors when starting the car...?

This has been going on since I've bought the car a year ago, but it has started to annoy me recently. Whenever I start the car up, I can't access the average consumption display until all of the errors have passed. I'm getting brake light failures, headlight failures, license plate light failures, even though that all of these lights work except for the left brake light, which I'll fix eventually. The guy that sold me the car told me that these errors are due to the lights not being the original ones, and the computer not recognizing them. The headlights are xenon and the license plate light is an LED, I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Well, yes. If the lights are not compliant with the car's electronics (CANBUS), this will happen.

There are Canbus-compliant aftermarket lights. Get some.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
LED bulbs don't have the same resistance as the standard bulbs. They draw less current and the canbus reads this as bulb failure. Some LEDs have built in resistors to provide the additional draw so you have no bulb warnings. However, this meas that even when a bulb fails the canbus doesn't know about it. Swapping your bulbs back to standard is the easiest fix if you can cope with the dimness.

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 11-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
Well, yes. If the lights are not compliant with the car's electronics (CANBUS), this will happen.

There are Canbus-compliant aftermarket lights. Get some.
How much are they and can I buy them online? Sadly, its very hard to find parts here without going from store to store and asking, you cant check online. For example, I cant find lowering springs that fit my car.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Amazon.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
I have the osram nightbreaker unlimited and they are plenty bright enough..better than the lucas bulbs originally in the car and the error free LED set I tried..

Worth noting although LED lights dont produce heat at the bulb they produce lots at the bayonet end and can melt light fittings..get em out pronto and replace with the Osrams.

Will definitely sort your error messages if there are not any underlying faults.
dgmayhead likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 11-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
Amazon.
Amazon doesn't ship to my country - Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
I have the osram nightbreaker unlimited and they are plenty bright enough..better than the lucas bulbs originally in the car and the error free LED set I tried..

Worth noting although LED lights dont produce heat at the bulb they produce lots at the bayonet end and can melt light fittings..get em out pronto and replace with the Osrams.

Will definitely sort your error messages if there are not any underlying faults.
Found only one store/seller selling the nightbreakers and they're 20 a piece. Will do that if I get some unexpected large cash. There are tons of Osram bulbs for sale, tho, but I've no idea if I can use those instead of the nightbreakers.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
car , errors , failure , light , starting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page