Knock/creak at low speeds - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin Hanley
  • 1 Post By pubsinger
  • 1 Post By dgmayhead

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 11-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Knock/creak at low speeds

Car was brilliant yesterday on the way down to Tewkesbury for a bloody awful medieval festival, but less said about that the better as because of it I was up till the early hours catching up on the euro's, F1 and the tennis having managed to avoid the results all day

I say it was brilliant on the way down but as I entered Tewkesbury, the knocking or creaking if you like when I pull off/brake at very low speeds and also when quickly turning the steering wheel from one side to the other at standstill became more prevalent.

I have had the same knock since I bought the car 18 months ago but it only happened just as the clutch bit when I reverse it out of the garage and not anywhere else after. I'm thinking engine mounts or anti-roll bar any ideas?

Also the drivers window is screeching towards the rear as it goes up and down. Any quick fixes to try so I can avoid taking the door card off?

Thanks for any help

3.2GT V6 - Gabbiano Blue - Jetfins - M-Tec Shortshifter - Wizard Cat Back - Rest standard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Likely to be drop links, wish bones or both. If the knock is in the floor then anti roll bar bushes. Garage should be able to diagnose by giving everything a good wobble.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 11-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
Likely to be drop links, wish bones or both. If the knock is in the floor then anti roll bar bushes. Garage should be able to diagnose by giving everything a good wobble.
I thought anti-roll bar as the wife said she could feel it under her feet. But would it make the same noise when moving the steering wheel quickly from one side to the other when stationery?

AO Member

County: Cornwall
To cure the screeching window use a light application of silicone spray on the window rubber. Works a treat.
warniegt likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Remove the drop links and take it for a drive, if the noise has gone it's either the drop links or the ARB bushes.

Pop a cable tie through the ARB drop-link mounting hole to prevent it flopping about.

All the best

Pub
warniegt likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
I thought anti-roll bar as the wife said she could feel it under her feet. But would it make the same noise when moving the steering wheel quickly from one side to the other when stationery?
You probably have several issues going on. The sound in the floor (slow speed bumpy road) is the roll bar bushes and this is a pain to replace but will probably not be found on the mot. The other knock (steering related) is probably drop links. Creaks and squeaks are wishbones. Nothing seems to last long on the front suspension so it's probably best to replace as much as you can that looks past its best because you'll be back every year anyway.

A silcon spray can silence the creaks and squeaks for a few miles. If you're systematic in its application you could identify the failing culprit. I've not really heard of anyone successfully just replacing the rubber components unfortunately.

Finally, don't be tempted to buy the junk that's for sale on ebay.
warniegt likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
knock or creak , low , speeds