147 1.6 TS Major Problems!
It's been a while since I've posted here, but thought I'd message now because I could do with some opinions as to where to go next!
I took my 147 in for a service in April and to be honest I had left it a few months late! Mileage wise, I hadn't done the miles so it shouldn't have been too bad, and it wasn't supposed to be due a cam belt. For the first time ever, I took it to a local independent garage and they seemed concerned as soon as they heard the engine.
Some background information:
1. It has been burning oil and I have spent quite a lot on topping up
2. The alternator barely charges the battery - I think it has been on its way out for quite a while
3. I bought the car with 29k on the clock from Mangoletsi, at which point it had had a replacement cam belt. I have had a further four and it's only on 98k now!
Here's what the garage said:
1. It's burning oil
2. Coolant very low (not sure if he said it wasn't leaking)
3. The cam belt is "ready for dropping off"
4. Having spoken to a place which rebuilds engines, he said I would be looking at over a grand, and they wouldn't touch it.
So, that day, I went out and bought a Mondeo Titanium X estate. 2.0TDCI 163, and it's £30 road tax and loads cheaper to run! Needless to say, I'm really pleased with the car and it's much more practical for live gigging (my second job).
However, I've kept the Alfa. I didn't want to sell it, and I certainly didn't want to scrap it. I would really like to get it up and running if at all possible. The trouble is, it's going to need:
2. Cam belt
3. Full service
4. Piston rings? No idea what would be causing it to be burning oil...
If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them!