147 1.6 TS Major Problems! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 10-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Merseyside
147 1.6 TS Major Problems!

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted here, but thought I'd message now because I could do with some opinions as to where to go next!

I took my 147 in for a service in April and to be honest I had left it a few months late! Mileage wise, I hadn't done the miles so it shouldn't have been too bad, and it wasn't supposed to be due a cam belt. For the first time ever, I took it to a local independent garage and they seemed concerned as soon as they heard the engine.

Some background information:

1. It has been burning oil and I have spent quite a lot on topping up
2. The alternator barely charges the battery - I think it has been on its way out for quite a while
3. I bought the car with 29k on the clock from Mangoletsi, at which point it had had a replacement cam belt. I have had a further four and it's only on 98k now!

Here's what the garage said:

1. It's burning oil
2. Coolant very low (not sure if he said it wasn't leaking)
3. The cam belt is "ready for dropping off"
4. Having spoken to a place which rebuilds engines, he said I would be looking at over a grand, and they wouldn't touch it.

So, that day, I went out and bought a Mondeo Titanium X estate. 2.0TDCI 163, and it's 30 road tax and loads cheaper to run! Needless to say, I'm really pleased with the car and it's much more practical for live gigging (my second job).

However, I've kept the Alfa. I didn't want to sell it, and I certainly didn't want to scrap it. I would really like to get it up and running if at all possible. The trouble is, it's going to need:

1. Alternator
2. Cam belt
3. Full service
4. Piston rings? No idea what would be causing it to be burning oil...

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them!

Thanks,

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Dorset
Might just need a top end rebuild, have they done compression test/leak down test? If it's a full rebuild then would be cheaper to drop a new engine in. Could even upgrade and get a 1.8 or 2.0 TS put in.

Where are you based? Have you tried Autolusso?
AO Member

County: Montenegro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary147 View Post
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted here, but thought I'd message now because I could do with some opinions as to where to go next!

I took my 147 in for a service in April and to be honest I had left it a few months late! Mileage wise, I hadn't done the miles so it shouldn't have been too bad, and it wasn't supposed to be due a cam belt. For the first time ever, I took it to a local independent garage and they seemed concerned as soon as they heard the engine.

Some background information:

1. It has been burning oil and I have spent quite a lot on topping up
2. The alternator barely charges the battery - I think it has been on its way out for quite a while
3. I bought the car with 29k on the clock from Mangoletsi, at which point it had had a replacement cam belt. I have had a further four and it's only on 98k now!

Here's what the garage said:

1. It's burning oil
2. Coolant very low (not sure if he said it wasn't leaking)
3. The cam belt is "ready for dropping off"
4. Having spoken to a place which rebuilds engines, he said I would be looking at over a grand, and they wouldn't touch it.

So, that day, I went out and bought a Mondeo Titanium X estate. 2.0TDCI 163, and it's 30 road tax and loads cheaper to run! Needless to say, I'm really pleased with the car and it's much more practical for live gigging (my second job).

However, I've kept the Alfa. I didn't want to sell it, and I certainly didn't want to scrap it. I would really like to get it up and running if at all possible. The trouble is, it's going to need:

1. Alternator
2. Cam belt
3. Full service
4. Piston rings? No idea what would be causing it to be burning oil...

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them!

Thanks,

Gary
Sounds like you bought piece of rubbish car. It can happen that some cars were not build properly and yours seams to be one. Sell it for whatever money you can get,there is no point investing more and more money. If you have to open the engine at 98k that should tell you something.

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I've sometimes wondered if it's a "Friday afternoon in the factory" car, but at the same time:

1. It's never brown down. The AA have been called out on two occasions, both sure to a flat battery. I'm guessing the alternator was faulty for a long while before it was detected.

2. The sentimental value of this car means I don't want to get rid of it. I'm in no rush to sort it as I have another car, but it would be good to get it working.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Oh, and Autolusso might be a bit far. There is Alfatune though. Is this something that could be undertaken there?
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire
How much oil is it using? 1 litre per 1000 miles is considered normal.
AO Member

County: Auckland
I've just dropped a 2.0l TS engine & manual gearbox into mine. I think it was worthwhile.
You do need a few extra bits and pieces from the 2.0 donor, like the vacuum hose from firewall to throttle body, ECU (by the steering wheel) and badges off the boot. Be aware that the aircon compressor has a different casting where the hoses attach, so you have to decide whether to re-gas the AC system or trim a bit off the cooling fan shroud.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , major , problems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page