Wind noise? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 10-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Scotland

Member car:

GT JTS

Wind noise?

Got my new GT yesterday and I'm absolutely loving the car so far, the only issue it has that above 50mph there seems to be excessive amounts of wind noise. Its as if the wind is forcing its way in where the glass meets the seal at the top of the door.

Ive looked and cant find any tears or slits in the seal and the glass is definitely all the way up.

Has anyone else has similar issues and if so how did you resolve it?

Really hope i dont need to replace the whole door seal.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Well, with the frameless windows there'll be more wind noise than usual. Having said that if it's really excessive you could try adjusting the catch on the B pillar, not so much that the shut lines are affected. Or whip the door card off, then (with the door closed) loosen the fixing bolts and raise the window manually tight against the seal and nip the fixings up again.

Helps if you're agile as you'll probably have to lift the armrest, hand brake off and lie across the front seats.

Before you do all this pull the internal triangular trim off the mirror fixings, some have reported a missing bolt leaving a hole causing a whistling wind noise.

All the best

Pub

Loose - not close, compact, or tight in structure or arrangement
Lose - to part with or come to be without, as through theft, accident, negligence, etc.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 10-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubsinger View Post
Well, with the frameless windows there'll be more wind noise than usual. Having said that if it's really excessive you could try adjusting the catch on the B pillar, not so much that the shut lines are affected. Or whip the door card off, then (with the door closed) loosen the fixing bolts and raise the window manually tight against the seal and nip the fixings up again.

Helps if you're agile as you'll probably have to lift the armrest, hand brake off and lie across the front seats.

Before you do all this pull the internal triangular trim off the mirror fixings, some have reported a missing bolt leaving a hole causing a whistling wind noise.

All the best

Pub
Cheers for the reply, ill suggest those things to the garage, im not very technical when it cones to cars. Keen to learn just never really messed about with them

County: UK
Garage
Are you sure its the window? I spent some time trying to track down wind noise from around my drivers door window, with no success. Eventually notice when washing the car, around the door handle that there was a small gap where the rear of the handle meets the door (facing forward where you grip the handle) . I carefully pushed a piece of black rubber in the gap and no more wind noise. I think someone has replaced the handle and got the seal creased over or broke it. It's worth a look before you take it to the garage.
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_STU View Post
.....around the door handle that there was a small gap where the rear of the handle meets the door (facing forward where you grip the handle).
That part of the door handle is designed so that it locates on tabs in the door skin as you slide the handle into place. Sounds like yours isn't located on either the top or bottom tab. Ignoring the rubber, is the gap between the handle and door the same all the way around?

All the best

Pub

County: UK
Garage
Pub

No the gaps are not even, where the handle meets the door at the front there is no gaps at all. Where the handle meets the door at the rear there is no gap at the rear face or the top, but a gap at the front face and a smaller gap on the bottom. The arrow on the attached picture points to the location of the gap that I filled with the rubber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door handle.jpg (23.1 KB, 6 views)
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

I also have lots of wind noise even on low speeds on the passengers side of my 147. I thought it was that spongy rubber in the space between the fender and the door, but seems thats not it. Still looking
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS

Yeah the noise seems to be coming from behind my right ear as im driving, going to get my garage to pack out the seal and adjust the glass if possible, see if that helps.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

If the glass is all the way up then it shouldn't make wind noise (mine doesn't anyway). Have a look and see if the glass actually contacts the seal all along it's length when closed. Ideally it should just flatten the tubular seal all along the top of the glass. Rubber does sometimes lose its elasticity with weathering - "Gummi-Pfledg" is the best stuff I've found for rejuvenating rubber seals, trim etc.

The glass can be adjusted, it is mounted on the regulator via a frame with adjustable locking pins. So the angles. top to bottom and fore and aft can be adjusted pretty accurately. Mine made whistling and whooshing noises when I first replaced my window regulator - but it was pretty easily fixed with these adjusters.
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_STU View Post
Pub

No the gaps are not even, where the handle meets the door at the front there is no gaps at all. Where the handle meets the door at the rear there is no gap at the rear face or the top, but a gap at the front face and a smaller gap on the bottom. The arrow on the attached picture points to the location of the gap that I filled with the rubber.
Just took a look and Im missing the rubber and/or the handle is bent! This might be the source of my problem. I will fill it up tomorrow and try it out. Thanks for the tip!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
noise , wind

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page