147 Rear Shocks Corrosion Trouble - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

147 Rear Shocks Corrosion Trouble

So, the lower rear spring cup on one side of my 06 147 Ti (38k) gave way, jamming the spring against the tyre. My other half kept driving, despite the noise and the smoke, and burned a 2cm deep groove in the (new Michelin) tyre. Amazing it didn't blow. Turned out the other shock was badly corroded as well. Play in the top joints had been an advisory on a previous MOT, so do those as well, I thought.
Didn't bargain for the ball ache and expense of the TI suspension. The top joints could only be sourced at a dealer for stupid money - finally Mangos came up with the slightly less silly price of £90 a joint. TRW shocks from AlfaWorkshop were a relative bargain at £147 the pair, as was the spring pan pad at £16, but the mechanic doing the fitting had to cut off the long arms, so he sourced those himself at £64 the pair. Fitting for the lot was £130. Turns out Pilot Sport 3s are now rare as hens' teeth, and its a rare size anyway on the TI wheels, so that was another £150 (I got the others for £90 a year ago). Just over £680 because the spring holding bits of the shock weren't properly treated. Ouch.
Anyone else had this problem, and is it worth hameriting the new shocks before they go in to make sure it doesn't happen again?
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Rear spring pans rusting away is quite common now.

There have been many threads with that on here.
Less common is someone continuing to drive after it has failed.....!
AO Silver Member
County: Gwynedd
I had exactly the same with nearly the same bill. Paid £700 but got wheel bearing, rear caliper and 4 new arms as well.
I think my shocks where originals and had done 110000miles so I don't think it will be happening again. I'd put shorter springs on at 80,000 and the shocks looked ok.
Not heard it being a problem on the front.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , corrosion , rear , shocks , trouble