55w bulbs vs 100w - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 10-09-07
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS

55w bulbs vs 100w

Is there any danger (overheating, wire melting) if I use 100w bulbs instead of the 55w bulbs in my 147?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 10-09-07
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG

Re: 55w bulbs vs 100w

The wiring may be an issue because you are doubling the designed load.
The bulbs will also run considerably hotter, which may be an issue with the plastic headlights.

Plus they are sold "for off road use only"
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 10-09-07
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Cant decide took pool car

Yes, melting wiring and headlights are definitely a possibility, if not a certainty.

Voids the CE classification of the lights too.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 10-09-07
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

There have been instances where the wiring loom has melted due to the use of 110W bulbs (almost 20A draw with both lit, 40A if used in main beam aswell), but the biggest problem will be the aluminising of the reflector either discolouring or flaking off due to the extra heat. Especially in high ambient temperatures like Greece. This will need the whole headlamp to be replaced!
Not to mention the fact that they are illegal for road use.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 10-09-07
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

There's a danger that you'll blind the crap out of other motorists, and a danger you'll get pulled over for breaking the law and endangering other motorists.
Probably not to that second bit though
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 10-09-07
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Originally Posted by t300 View Post
Is there any danger (overheating, wire melting) if I use 100w bulbs instead of the 55w bulbs in my 147?
Just buy the Philips +80% lamps from powerbulbs.co.uk
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 10-09-07
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS

Thanks mates! I will keep the 55s until I upgrade to a HID kit!
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 10-09-07
AO Gold Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Which is also illegal unless you use OE Xenon lenses, as the beam pattern is completely different.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 11-09-07
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Originally Posted by filipharvey View Post
Which is also illegal unless you use OE Xenon lenses, as the beam pattern is completely different.
Correction, unless you replace the whole headlamp with one originally designed for HID. Please see my posts in this thread for a more complete explanation.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-a-spider.html
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 11-09-07
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Originally Posted by Rob3rto View Post
Just buy the Philips +80% lamps from powerbulbs.co.uk
Be very wary of paying over the odds for these uprated bulbs. It is illegal for any H7 bulb to produce more than 1100 lumens +/-15% at the rated voltage of 12.8v. This is layed down in the ECE regulations. I am not sure how Philips can claim these sorts of things, but I shall ask the Philips rep next time I see him. I can only think they have produced the bulb with a highly non linear Light/Voltage response such that it meets the requirements at the rated voltage and then emits exponentially more light as you move up to the vehicle voltage. One small point, note that they say 'light on the road' and not 'more light'. This lends me to believe that they are hanging their claims based on the perception of the amount of light being greater. Whiter light will appear to the brain to be brighter than a standard halogen which can appear to be yellow in comparison so they may be trading on the increased colour temperature appearing brighter. The same goes for the 50% stuff.
The only bulbs that are likely to give you more light are the 30% ranges. These are the top 1% of standard production and, based on the legally allowed tolerance of +/-15%, could give you 30% more light than a bulb at the bottom end of the tolerance. However manufacturers can skew their productions to the top end of the tolerances because of improvements in manufacturing techniques so the actual benefit is likely to be much less.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 11-09-07
AO Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

Alfa 159 JTS 2.2

I fitted 100w bulbs to my Alfetta a long time ago. Everything was fine for a while but eventually the contact switches in the steering stalk melted. Cost me quite a bit.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 12-09-07
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Originally Posted by Mkii Spit View Post
Correction, unless you replace the whole headlamp with one originally designed for HID. Please see my posts in this thread for a more complete explanation.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-a-spider.html
Which is what I said!
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 13-09-07
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Which is what I said!
With all due respect, no you didn't. You suggested that so long as you replaced the lens then it would be legal to use the aftermarket HID upgrade kits.
In my linked post I was explaining that under the Type Approval/Homologation process, the only legal bulb to use in a lamp is the one that it was homologated with. Even if you did manage to replace the whole reflector assembly within the lamp housing for an HID one it would still be illegal to use HID burners as the lamp itself was not homologated for such.
The only legal lamps are homologated lamps. As soon as you change anything that takes the lamp away from that shown in the homologation documents then that lamp becomes illegal.
I mean no offence with this reply, however there is alot of missinformation being circulated about lighting and I feel it would be remiss of me in my proffessional capacity not to clear these things up.
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 14-09-07
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Yeh, but why would anyone go to those lengths? I meant it would be perfectly legal to fit the HID lights that were factory fitted to a 147, onto a 147 that originally didn't have them.
As these lights are already designed for the car, I assumed that when I said you need to change the lenses to use xenon bulbs, people would use the complete units already available, and not fabricate their own.

So, am I right in saying that you could take a complete E marked factory fitted HID set up (Ballasts, headlamps and bulbs) from one 147 and fit it to another, and that it is the only way you could legally fit xenons to a 147?
Because that is what I was trying to say in my original post. Perhaps I should have been a little clearer.

Last edited by filipharvey; 14-09-07 at 14:30.
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 14-09-07

Member car:

alfa romeo 156

i guess you guys are all old men who stick to the speed limit being as you all go on about the legality of it
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 14-09-07

Member car:

Sportwagen

If I am not mistaken, and I possibly am, it is illegal to fit HID lights to a vehicle that did not have them fitted as standard! There are more things than just the lights, the lights must also be able to adjust as you drive, automatically, and if the auto system fails, the lights must return to the lowest level on the road. They must be adjusted from front and rear axles, and they must have a system of cleaning them on the run.
Why would anyone want them anyway? I had them on my Laguna, very bright, but the light stops about 20ft from the car, there is no carryover! The lights on my Sportwagen are brilliant, far better than the Laguna and that is without any uprated bulbs.
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 14-09-07
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Originally Posted by el'nino View Post
i guess you guys are all old men who stick to the speed limit being as you all go on about the legality of it
Alfa drivers? Old? Maybe, I'm 22. Does that count?

Speed limits? I see the odd 30 or 40 and occasional 50, but if I am on a straight empty road where I am not putting myself or anybody else in any danger, of course I creep slightly above the speed limits.

Lights? I personally don't like to be blinded, couldn't care less about legality.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 17-09-07
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

As these lights are already designed for the car, I assumed that when I said you need to change the lenses to use xenon bulbs, people would use the complete units already available, and not fabricate their own.

So, am I right in saying that you could take a complete E marked factory fitted HID set up (Ballasts, headlamps and bulbs) from one 147 and fit it to another, and that it is the only way you could legally fit xenons to a 147?
Because that is what I was trying to say in my original post. Perhaps I should have been a little clearer.
Yes you are correct, only by changing the entire headlamp unit is it a legal installation. Sorry about any missunderstanding, however if you had seen some of the things people had done to lamps that have then been returned to us under warranty, you would understand why I did not assume that you meant by changing the lens you meant changing the whole lamp.

Originally Posted by el'nino View Post
The reason this part of the discussion arose is because in several other threads people have brought up the subject of HID upgrade kits and made all sorts of statements about how they can be legally used. I was just pre-empting that discussion. I personally don't care if people choose to use illegal stuff on their cars, its their insurance that will be voided if they have an accident and the stuff is discovered, however I do not want people to be missinformed about what is and isn't legal. If they then choose to put illegal stuff on their car then that is up to them, but atleast they do so knowingly. Its all about making informed decisions, and not putting forum uses in an awkward position if they are then accused of providing information that is wrong.

Originally Posted by dickymint View Post
If I am not mistaken, and I possibly am, it is illegal to fit HID lights to a vehicle that did not have them fitted as standard! There are more things than just the lights, the lights must also be able to adjust as you drive, automatically, and if the auto system fails, the lights must return to the lowest level on the road. They must be adjusted from front and rear axles, and they must have a system of cleaning them on the run.
Why would anyone want them anyway? I had them on my Laguna, very bright, but the light stops about 20ft from the car, there is no carryover! The lights on my Sportwagen are brilliant, far better than the Laguna and that is without any uprated bulbs.
The whole issue of levelling and washing is a requirement of the Lighting installation Regulation (ECE Reg 48) for new vehicles. How it applies to in the field upgrades no one seems to know, However I would air on the side of caution. By the way, if you only had 20ft of range on your Laguna headlamps then they were aimed badly. Visible range is governed by the aim of the lamp, not what technollogy it uses.

Last edited by Mkii Spit; 17-09-07 at 08:22.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
100w, 55w, bulbs

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...
2011 Alfa Romeo...
Alfa Romeo GT...
L@@K~JUST...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Ao Killarney Meet...

View David P's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?