New GT Owner - a few questions... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 29-05-07

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm

New GT Owner - a few questions...

Well I'm now the proud owner of an Alfa GT, a Lovely 55 plate black JTDm. It is pretty damn nice, I have to say. I've read loads of threads on here, and sorry for repeating things, but just want advise on a few little niggles...

Knocking from the rear - I think it probably is the tailgate issue that many of you have suffered, but it seems to be from the rear passenger side. It sounds as though the cabin in shuffling, but on a smaller scale. Probably just my ears?

Steering - is very very light and seems to seriously follow the camber of the road, almost as it its on rails towards the kerb sometimes . I haven't checked the tyre pressure yet, but has anybody else had this 'problem'. It may be that I'm not used to such sensitive steering, but in previous cars I've been able to gently accelerate with a loose grip on the wheel and they've almost straightened themselves up.

Indicators - seems like an intermittant problem where they don't knock off when I think they should, especially when I come out of a left turn. Also the feel off the indicator isn't consistent, sometime it clicks on, other times it seems to be like a cushioned slide in effect. Anybody else seen this?

I'm more than happy with the car, and it us under warranty so I'm not unduly worried, but just interested to hear your views...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 29-05-07
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Brera S

Re: New GT Owner - a few questions...

Just had mine for a few weeks now and feel the same about the steering! Like wrestling with it away from the kerb sometimes! Is this normal?!
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 29-05-07
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Jaguar X Type 2.5

Greetings GT owners I wonder if the steering is connected to the wheel alignment I had a 4 wheel alignment done on the 166 and it feels like its running on rails, before I had severe inside edge tyre wear and it felt like I was fighting with the steering (i probably was) fixed since 4 wheel alignment.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 29-05-07

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm

I was thinking it could be something to do with wheel alignment/tracking, but wouldn't be surprised if its a combination of alignment and tyre pressure. I'm going to give it 2/3 weeks driving, note down everything I notice, then take it to a dealer under warranty.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 29-05-07
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 14
County: Neath Port Talbot

Member car:

V6 Brera+GT+Spider S4+500

They do follow cambers & ruts. Check the preasures but with low profiles and double wishbones it par for the course. You'll get used to it
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 29-05-07
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 Lusso 1.9 JTDm

What wheels are you running? My 18's pull/tramline!
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 29-05-07
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Brera S

Yep, running on 18''s so guess its par for the course.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 30-05-07
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Originally Posted by johngrant75 View Post
Yep, running on 18''s so guess its par for the course.
What are you running them at? If its just you and you are using driver +50kg in manual, which I think is 2.5/2.3 front/back then this gets most grip but can tramline and torque steer. When mine last came back from dealer they had put too much air in (!) and it was up at about 2.9 front and back, but tramlining was a lot better.

It should however go straight down the road, and should straighen itself out of a corner without effort on your part. If it does'nt then perhaps you need the tracking checked.

I had a rattle in the rear quarters, but since I had the whole lot out both sides to replace rear speakers its gone, so it may just be loose trim. Try pushing the passenger side (where you think the rattle is coming from) back and make sure its clipped all the way in.

Welcome to the GT drivers club by the way

1999-2004 156 2.0 TS, 2004-2010 GT 1.9 JTD, 2010-2012 Abarth 500, 2012-date Giulietta QV 1750TBi
July 2012: Mrs TallPaul - 159TI sportwagon 2.0JTDM
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 30-05-07
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Merc, GTV 3.0 V6, 147Ti d

All the issues you list are common. The tramlining is particularly apparent if you're wearing 18's but it's a price you pay for excellent feel and grip.

You'll get used to the signals - it isn't a fault.

The tailgate rattle is well documented and acknowledged by Alfa. Book the car in under warranty for the fix. It'll take a couple of days.

Finally, you've bought an Alfa and Alfas are unlike any other cars on the road. they have a unique character which either inspire passion or hatred. If you love cars you're gonna love it. If you've been used to 4-wheel tin boxes and only require a bus substitute there are much more suitable ways to spend your money.

Welcome to AO and the passion

"The Drivel Devil'

"On a scale of one to ten, with ten being a sensitive, new-age man and one being a chimp throwing faeces, I'd put you more towards the monkey axis"

- Lips
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 30-05-07
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Datsun 370z muscle car

Well said Will

Hello BTW to AO
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 30-05-07

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I'm running on 18s as well, so it looks like that'll be a contributing factor to the tramlining. I'll have a check to see what the tyre pressure is and maybe try and strike a balannce between grip and tramlining. I'm in love with the car, especially the admiring glances it brings, so I will get used to it if I have to. Might also give the rear of the cabin a bit of a knock here and there to make sure the trim is perfectly clicked into place.

I'll give it a few weeks driving, note any more quirks down, and take it to the dealer to see what they reckon. I do think the tracking is out though, so it'll be in for that if nothing else. Its in waranty until September 2008 so I've got a bit of time to get any issues sorted.

While I'm on the subject of Alfa dealers/servicing, can anyone recommend one in the North West? I live in Rochdale (North of Manchester). There is a Alfa Service at a Fiat garage 2 mins away from my house, but people I know have had poor Fiat service from there in the past.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 31-05-07
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Giulietta QV

I definitely think your tyre pressures will help tramlining if you add more pressure, when I had mine back overinflated from dealer there was no tramlining - however it was the only time I have ever seen the ASR light come on (interesting braking on motorway slip bend experience - 3.0 bar not recommended, not sure what dealer was thinking!)
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 31-05-07
AO Member

Member car:

159 Sportwagon

Regarding the indicators - I had the same issue, wouldn't cancel the left indicator and difficult to turn the right indicator on - felt as it something was broken in the indicator stalk where it connects to the steering column.

This was fixed under warranty last week and all is ok now, so mention it to your dealer!
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 31-05-07
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT 1.9JTDx in met black

yup - mine trammed badly with 18s - but felt they were too harsh anyways, so binned em for 17s - much better

indicator action is total rubbish im afraid - i have to go round round about holding it on :/

steering is pretty good i reckon tho - mine isnt light at all
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 31-05-07
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Member car:

Giulietta 170 JTDm

Originally Posted by brierls View Post
While I'm on the subject of Alfa dealers/servicing, can anyone recommend one in the North West? I live in Rochdale (North of Manchester).
County Motors in Carlisle are superb and are just off the M6 (jcn 44). A bit of a trek but people who use them swear by them.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 01-06-07
AO Member

Member car:

GT jts.147

Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
County Motors in Carlisle are superb and are just off the M6 (jcn 44). A bit of a trek but people who use them swear by them.
Seconded

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
owner, questions

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2010 (60 Reg) Alfa...
New mot & tax alfa...
2007 alfa romeo...
2009 model 58 ALFA...
2009'59 alfa romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Alfa 147 Gta 2014...

View Sam_clmnt's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking on a members username within a forum post displays extra options.

New To Site? Need Help?