Cybox exhaust.....cost to put it right. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 21-10-06
harrythesnotgobbler

Cybox exhaust.....cost to put it right.

I bought and fitted a Cybox stainless steel exhaust (PECO) from Ebay a couple of months ago.
It took quite a while to fit, about 4hrs, although I was hampered by not having a pit and laying on my back to do it.
Regardless of trying I haven't been able to get it to fit properly and I've finally taken the plunge and got a quote this morning to have it put right.
The garage wil be fitting a s/s resonator behind the cat to stop it sounding like a f***ing saxo, then cutting and shutting the system to get it to sit right particularly by the n/s rear wheel, they will also be removing and refitting all the brackets because not one of them is in the right place........cost £140.
I happen to think this isn't a bad price for what they're going to do, the resonator is £50 on its own and theres a few hours work involved.
Its going to be done on Wednesday, and i cant wait, but on top of £300 to buy the exhaust in the first place its starting to get expensive.........I should have got a better one in the first place.
I have to say I like the quality of the cybox exhaust, but the fit is really amateurish..........anyway roll on Wednesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 21-10-06

Member car:

156 V6

Re: Cybox exhaust.....cost to put it right.

did mine lying on my back under the car with the wheels on ramps in about half an hour.

I agree about the fit near the wheel, it knocks on one of the wishbones between about 1k revs and 2.5k, so in traffic basically (who drives a V6 at less than 4k revs anyway )

It does sound like a saxo a bit at the moment but can really hear the V6 singing through it, I think it has been designed to bed in over time, a stainless system never sounds right straight off, wait for it to get a bit more bedded in and it will mellow.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 21-10-06
marlon

so £300 to make you car sound like a Saxo with the squirts and another £140 to sort it

Sorry to hear that. I remember your original post about the Cybox.

The 156 is a straight through mid section (which is cheap) anyway isn't it and only has 1 box (the rear silencer) ???
I'm just curious as you are having another silencer put in behind the cat, so any "freeflow" from the Cybox will probably be lost.

Hope it's OK when the car is done
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 22-10-06
harrythesnotgobbler

the resonator is straight thru, so restrictions should be minimal, i'm hoping it will take the saxo edge off.

shouldnt 2 months be enough time to be in?
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 23-10-06
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Golf 2.3 V5

This thread is quite interesting as I *Was* considering a cybox for my V6. Maybe I will choose something else now. I don't want to sound like a Saxo, I want to sound like a Ferrari...
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 24-10-06
harrythesnotgobbler

obviously, i cant comment on the v6 version as mines a 2.0 ts.

I emailed cybox reporting my problem and was contacted by them requesting my mobile no. ..... as yet no phone call, that was 6 weeks ago.

Wednesday tomorrow.....hopefully all my (exhaust) problems will be solved.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 24-10-06
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

When these exhausts were first made, certain forum members cars (another forum) were used as templates. One car of each model was used to make sure they were custom fit.

The main problem with these is that as they are full SS they are way heavier than standard mild steel OEM ones so you need to fit strong/stiffer exhaust rubber mounts or they will sag and hit where it goes over the cross member.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 24-10-06
Chris155

My V6 was used as a template. Never had any bother with it. I put it on my next car, a JTD, primarily because the original exhaust was on its way out. Fitted fine, took two hours to fit and didn't knock or bang on anything underneath.

I can uderstand why some people would think that its a bit noisey, especially with a cat by pass on it, but to say its sounds "saxoish" is IMHO somewhat unfair. If you don't want a noisey exhaust then stick to an OE example to match yer pipe and slippers.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 24-10-06
harrythesnotgobbler

You were obviously lucky that they made the exhaust to custom fit your car, the fit is atrocious on mine, the brackets are in the wrong place, I dont have the cat bypass pipe and if you want to sound like an acne ridden,burberry cap wearing chav then you can.

I dont have slippers and I dont smoke.

I do however speak as I find, and as I've said already I do like the quality of the pipe work and silencer. They were obviously lacking a sportwagon when they tried make it fit my model, before you question my qualifications for fitting the exhaust, I qualified first in fabrication engineering before qualifying mechanical and electrical engineering, so I have some knowledge about what I'm talking about, The fact that the exhaust is having to be cut and rewelded in several places to make it fit correctly goes some way to prove there is a fundemental problem with the fit of it.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 24-10-06
Chris155

Originally Posted by harrythesnotgobbler
I dont have the cat bypass pipe and if you want to sound like an acne ridden,burberry cap wearing chav then you can.

* shakes head, walks off muttering.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 24-10-06
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Golf 2.3 V5

You have to have R n'B music blaring out of the windows to sound like a Saxo..
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 24-10-06
marlon

Harry have you seen Chris ???

He is exactly as you described

Except he's about 7 feet tall and errr.........bloody big man....big !!!!
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 24-10-06
AO Member

Member car:

An Alfa stupid

Originally Posted by marlon

And feckin gay
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 24-10-06
AO Member

Member car:

An Alfa stupid

Originally Posted by marlon

And feckin gay
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 24-10-06
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

GT JTDm Cloverleaf Q2

Twice.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 03-11-06
harrythesnotgobbler

Ok......got the exhaust finished today, last week the garage only did the refitting, this ended up with all the brackets being cut off and fitted back in the correct position and the exhaust 'adjusted' to fit the car properly this also required cutting and welding.The tailpipe now comes out of the rear bumper in the centre of the aperture.
Today I had the resonator box fitted and I'm happy to report that even though the exhaust is quite a bit louder than the standard, it now has a decent low noise without the drone and LOUDness.
So overall I'm a happy man, albeit £140 lighter.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cybox, exhaustcost, put

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2005 alfa romeo 147...
2003 53 alfa romeo...
2009 ALFA ROMEO...
2012 Alfa Romeo...
2011 Alfa Romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Img 0961

View ALFAPAT's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
We take privacy seriously, this is why we advise you to check your privacy settings by visiting your profile area and selecting "Profile Privacy".

New To Site? Need Help?