What is a good engine strut brace, and do they work? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 28-05-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 Manual

What is a good engine strut brace, and do they work?

Phoned my insurance firm - no increase in premium for an engine strut brace. (With Tesco).

1. Do engine strut braces work? I want to only fit if will make any positive difference to handling.

2. If good to get, which one should I go for? Genuine Alfa one, any other reccomendations, or this fella?

eBay.co.uk:

3. Any other braces worth going for?

I am not a boy racer (well, I guess we all are to a point....) I use the car for a commute to work, although driving along twisty country lanes

Last edited by wrinx; 28-05-06 at 15:26.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 28-05-06

Member car:

alfa 156

Re: What is a good engine strut brace, and do they work?

Hi mate,

as i recall a strut brace (most commonly seen under your bonnet) is used to increase the rigidity of the suspension set up. It doesn't stiffen the suspension itself. by increasing the rigidity it is supposed to help handling consistency. Its often used with adjustable suspension. You can use it for the road but unless you car is made of paper it won't make a great deal of difference. It would be a wise fitment if you were using your car for track or competition driving. There's nothing to stop you putting one on, just don't expect miracles.

sparco make some serious strut braces. If you get one only get it fitted by someone who really knows what they're doing (IMHO).

Good luck
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 28-05-06
AO Member

Member car:

Proteo Red 145 TS

They improve the handling (mostly Turn-In making the car grip better when entering a corner fast.) As well as making the body of the car more rigid they also stiffen the suspension turrets and also give you the option of adjusting the amount of stiffness by either increasing or decreasing the distance between the top mounts.

You can fit a top or bottom strut brace or both and on some models fit them to the rear suspension too.

Each car is different so results vary between models. It usually takes only a matter of minutes to fit them with no special skill required, I fitted a strut brace to my Fiat Coupe 20vT in 20 mins. as the body flex was always the achilles heel on this model, for a car with performance of 0-60 in 6 Secs. and a 155 mph limited top speed the handling was shocking and the improvement was instant to see and feel.

On the other hand I also owned a Peugeot 306 XSi and it would have been a waste of time fitting one as the Pug was one of the grippiest cars I've owned and felt no improvement would be gained.

The handling on my 156 is somewhere in between which is what I would have expected.

1.3 GT Junior, 2000 GTV Bertone, 1.5 Sprint Veloce, 75 3L V6 Widebody, 156 2L TS, 145 1.8 TS, GTV 2L TS, Lancia Fulvia S3 1.6 HF, Lancia Beta 2L Coupe, Lancia Beta 2L Spyder, Fiat Mirafiori 2000 Sport, Fiat Coupe 20vT. Mercedes Benz CLK 500. Yamaha YP 125 Scooter.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 29-05-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Do strut braces reduce tramlining(*) for cars with wide and low profile tyres?

(*)tramlining = The tendency of a vehicle's tires (often when of low profile) to follow a ridge or rut in the road's surface.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 29-05-06
AO Member

Member car:

Okay, from what I have read, looks like there will be no real improvement - have original shocks and no other braces, so will leave well alone. Thanks for the advice.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 29-05-06
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 33, GTV 2.0, MG 1500

They can be useful, particularly on cars which aren't that rigid, but for normal driving I don't think you'd really notice any difference.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 29-05-06
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

159 SW TI 1750 TBi 240bhp

..Remember those who’ve fitted strutbraces say they definitely improve the handling..those that haven't say they probably wouldn't make much difference...we all like to justify our decisions.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 30-07-06
AO Member

Member car:

Just got a strut brace on my ageing MX5, the difference is night and day. Okay, probably a cheap substitute for sorting out the suspension properly, but is an amazing difference.

I have got new tyres on the 147, and are tramlining when on country lanes. I am going to invest the £60 on a front brace bar, and will see what difference it makes.

Will report back once installed
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 30-07-06
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

'08 159Ti & '73 2000GTV

You should see some improvement, but like many things, it works better as part of a package. If you uprated the shock absorbers, springs and renew bushes (esp stiffer polyurethane type) you should see even greater returns but ride quality would suffer.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 30-07-06
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147 GTA & 159 SW

you will notice the difference when cornering hard and the suspension is being pushed....

obviously driving along normally you aint gonna tell its on.

you can see the full range on alfa braces on www.strutbracer.co.uk
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 30-07-06
AO Member

Member car:

Proteo Red 145 TS

Originally Posted by Wilmslow
Just got a strut brace on my ageing MX5, the difference is night and day. Okay, probably a cheap substitute for sorting out the suspension properly, but is an amazing difference.

I have got new tyres on the 147, and are tramlining when on country lanes. I am going to invest the £60 on a front brace bar, and will see what difference it makes.

Will report back once installed
I would expect to see a great improvement in your MX5 with a fitted brace as it is a convertible, imagine any hardtop car as a cube with 6 sides, your MX5 has one side missing (its roof) so they are less rigid and suffer from scuttle shake, they do strengthen the floors on soft-tops to gain back some of what is lost but the extra strength is still in the wrong place, that's why convertibles are heavier than the saloon equivalent.

I disagree with what was said regarding justifying your decision because you have spent the money, I agree with your feelings that on some cars the difference is like night and day. Don't expect the same level of improvement though on your Alfa 147 and I'm not sure it will help with the tramlining although I'd say you will still notice a difference when cornering fast. I used to really enjoy entering a r-bout with someone tailgating 5 yrds. behind me and exiting the r-bout to find them 100 yrds. away, I'd deliberately slow up again and their expression was always a picture of embarassment.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 30-07-06
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Hyundai coupe v6 (EX 147)

ive had strut braces fitted to cars in the past, if your really pushing it around bends there is a very noticeable improvement but general round the town driving really wont benefit.

for the sake of £50 tho give it a shot, its very much worth it for those 'fast bends'
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 30-07-06
Regional Representative
For Yorkshire - AOY

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Jaguar XF 3.0 V6

If I was going to have one i'd go for momo just cos its italian.

#14 (Post Link)  
Old 01-08-06
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147 GTA & 159 SW

errr Sparco and OMP are Italian as well you know!
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 01-08-06
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

GT JTS/156 1.9 JTDm

Just an off-camber question, but if these things are only about £60 and in some cases make a big difference (i.e. convertibles and other less-stiff chassis) then why don't manufacturers fit them as standard?
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 01-08-06
AO Member

Member car:

Proteo Red 145 TS

Originally Posted by jonwood79
Just an off-camber question, but if these things are only about £60 and in some cases make a big difference (i.e. convertibles and other less-stiff chassis) then why don't manufacturers fit them as standard?
That's a good question, don't really know Maybe it's because around town and even up to our legal limit you're not going to see much difference, the only time I could see a big improvement was on entering and exiting a large clear roundabout, I have a couple on my route to work and back and it's playtime for me every day, apart from that I think they do look very nice under the bonnet if you go for the right colour or chrome finish etc etc.

For £60 they are a bargain and the 2 I have fitted to previous cars have been removed and sold for around £50 as they don't deteriorate.
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 01-08-06
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

156 2.0 Veloce & BMW 530D

I noticed a big difference on my 145 with a strutbrace, okay it only comes into play when your really leathering it, but thats what an Alfas for isn't it? Well worth the £60
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 02-08-06
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 33, GTV 2.0, MG 1500

Originally Posted by jonwood79
It might have something to do with engine access maybe?
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 02-08-06
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

ive been thinking about getting a roll bar for mine to keep it flatter round corners,its not that bad as it is as ive got the sport suspension but does have a little body roll when pushing it.Im taking it that the roll bar that fits between the wheels underneath will be more effective at stopping roll than an engine strut?
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 02-08-06
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Mito 1.4TB/Croma M-jet150

Hasn't it already got one?
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 02-08-06
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Yes it has but there not great,you can get stiffer ones that do a much better job
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 02-08-06
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

GTV 3.2 V6

Originally Posted by Goonersele
ive been thinking about getting a roll bar for mine to keep it flatter round corners,its not that bad as it is as ive got the sport suspension but does have a little body roll when pushing it.Im taking it that the roll bar that fits between the wheels underneath will be more effective at stopping roll than an engine strut?
I have heard you can fit the GTA anti-roll bar or something.

And are non-adjustable strut braces better than adjustable, or is that just junk I heard somewhere else
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 03-08-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

I would expect a strut bar to make a big difference to cars with McPherson type front suspensions and not that big a difference to cars with double wishbone ones like the modern Alfas (OK, torsionable quadrilaterals). The reason is quite obvious: the rigidity of the wells and top mounts play a more important role in suspension geometry in the former but not that much in the latter because more forces are applied to the upper arm joint instead of the top mount. On the other hand i would expect a brace bar between the lower or upper arm joints to make a big difference.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
brace, engine, good, strut, work

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2011 ALFA ROMEO...
2009 59 alfa romeo...
Alfa Romeo 147 Twin...
2001 Alfa Romeo 156...
alfa romeo spider...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Alfa 147 Gta 2014...

View Sam_clmnt's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking the small triangle on the right hand side of every post will take you to the top of the page.
Very handy as you can instantly reach the site navigation bar!

New To Site? Need Help?