Skipping & Chattering wipers. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 16-03-06
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Skipping & Chattering wipers.

Hello.
I recently replaced the wipers on my 147 with new Bosch ones. The new ones squeal and squeak especially on intermittent wipe and only go silent if it is really pouring down. If I am traveling at speed on the motorway (60mph+) they start to skip on the windscreen. Any Ideas folks cos this noise is doing my head in.

Thanks
Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 16-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

Was a GT Monza JTDm :-(

Re: Skipping & Chattering wipers.

I tend to find the OEM ones best.

Seen as you've invested in a set of Bosch ones, are they fitted correctly? Is there a fin on the drivers side wiper to hold it against the windscreen at motorway speeds when in use? Finally your windscreen might need a good scrubbing to clear it of any grime that may be impeeding the wipers from functioning properly for you.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 16-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

I thought that myself Ciars and had my local spanner monkey take a look in case I had, he told me that they were in alright...he also mentioned like you that the screen may just be covered in grime so I washed it down with soapy water and then gave it a going over with some diluted meths but still no difference.

Pete.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 16-03-06
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

MiTo TwinAir Sprint

Soapy water or metholated spirits might not be enough to remove road-film, diesel oil deposits etc. A good clean with something like AutoGlym glass cleaner/polish would be better. Another trick if the glass has been washed thoroughly is to go over it with some crumpled-up news paper. (My free newspaper has lots of graphite in the printing ink - just check to see if the black ink comes off onto your hands!) This would leave a slight graphite film on the glass but would be invisible in use. Blade manufacturers also use graphite sometimes to bed-in wiper blades.

Do the blades chatter and judder in both up and down directions? If it is only in one direction it can mean the wiping edge is not flipping over correctly at the end of the stroke. If they are chattering in both direction I suspect firstly screen deposits, after that its down to the wiper blade design (stiffness of the rubber) and the arm spring-pressure.

'A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large.' - Henry Ford.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 16-03-06
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

'98 156 2.0, '09 MiTo 1.4

Potatoes ....

No, seriously, someone (many, many moons ago) once told me rubbing a cut-side of a potato over the glass can make a difference ...

Then again, he was probably sitting in a bush with a camera in hand waiting for me to make myself look a right plonker with my King Edwards!!
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 16-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

I heard of that as well...thought someone was extracting the urine...

Pete.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 16-03-06
AO Silver Member

Member car:

MiTo TwinAir Sprint

Originally Posted by gazza82
Potatoes ....

No, seriously, someone (many, many moons ago) once told me rubbing a cut-side of a potato over the glass can make a difference ...

Then again, he was probably sitting in a bush with a camera in hand waiting for me to make myself look a right plonker with my King Edwards!!
Think that tip is as a de-froster on the windscreen.....don't know if you are supposed to use it before or after.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 17-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 Selespeed

I think my car reads these forums and has hypercondriac tendancies. My wipers started chattering real bad last night. grrrrrrrrrrr
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 17-03-06
Regional Representative
For Yorkshire - AOY

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Jaguar XF 3.0 V6

The Bosch ones are generally really good, my lass has em on her A3. I'd be interested in how this pans out Irish cos I was thinking of sticking the Bosch ones on mine too.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 17-03-06
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 14
County: Neath Port Talbot

Member car:

V6 Brera+GT+Spider S4+500

Holts Mixtra (or screenease) is a white foam spray that usually helps where all else fails
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 18-03-06
AO Silver Member

Member car:

MiTo TwinAir Sprint

Originally Posted by GhostyDog
The Bosch ones are generally really good, my lass has em on her A3. I'd be interested in how this pans out Irish cos I was thinking of sticking the Bosch ones on mine too.
I have to agree the replacement blades I bought for my 147 were Bosch and they are generally very good. They rarely make a noise and after cleaning the glass they go back to being quiet again.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 20-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Hello folk.
Washed the car on saturday, used some Autoglym on the windscreen followed by neat meths...the screen is so clean I could eat my dinner off it..as for the chattering its probably worse...the Bosch site is useless...thinking of changing to another brand of wiper..the Bosch ones are 3 months old..!!!

Pete.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Called into my local autoparts shop and picked up some glass polish by Turtle wax. Polished the windscreen three times and that seems to have done the trick....now there is silence...blissfull silence...will keep the forum posted if things change.

Pete.
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-06
AO Silver Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Consider yourself lucky a squeaky wiper is your only problem
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-06
AO Silver Member

Member car:

MiTo TwinAir Sprint

Originally Posted by Irish147
Hello folk.
Washed the car on saturday, used some Autoglym on the windscreen followed by neat meths...the screen is so clean I could eat my dinner off it..as for the chattering its probably worse...the Bosch site is useless...thinking of changing to another brand of wiper..the Bosch ones are 3 months old..!!!

Pete.
Don't think meths will remove the rubber deposits on the screen left by previously worn wiper blades. The best you can tackle it with is either a good glass polish or the abrasive paste/cleaner for bug removal followed by glass polish. In wiper testing, on a windscreen buck, for car companies we would use a weak (5%) hydrocloric acid solution but don't try this on a car to get it clear of deposits. In really bad cases we had no choice but to replace the windscreen even though it was otherwise ok. With a clean screen it should 'sheet' when flooded with water - a continuous thin film of water - it should not bead-up like polished paintwork. You should also not be able to see the track left by the old wiper blades.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-06
AO Silver Member

Member car:

2005 156 GTA SW in cosmos

I don't know about the 147, but the 156's wipers seem to suffer from juddering and noise in light rain too, especially with the rain sensor fitted as it seems just a tad too keen. My wipers are defiitely worse after a winter where there was sometimes ice on the part of the screen, maybe it wore them out.

On the 156 the tip of the driver's wiper can (just) hit the rubber glass surround as well, both my 156's have done this.

I use glass polish, I even tried Rainx-ing the glass just on the last part of the driver's wiper's movement, to no avail (it's this part that causes the noise). I think the heavily curved and raked screen makes life difficult. I've used Bosch wipers on other cars with great effect before, the better half's Focus has perfect action, probably as it has a flat screen!
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-06
AO Silver Member

Member car:

MiTo TwinAir Sprint

Originally Posted by jwyatt
I don't know about the 147, but the 156's wipers seem to suffer from juddering and noise in light rain too, especially with the rain sensor fitted as it seems just a tad too keen. My wipers are defiitely worse after a winter where there was sometimes ice on the part of the screen, maybe it wore them out.

On the 156 the tip of the driver's wiper can (just) hit the rubber glass surround as well, both my 156's have done this.

I use glass polish, I even tried Rainx-ing the glass just on the last part of the driver's wiper's movement, to no avail (it's this part that causes the noise). I think the heavily curved and raked screen makes life difficult. I've used Bosch wipers on other cars with great effect before, the better half's Focus has perfect action, probably as it has a flat screen!
The original Alfa wiper blades on the 156 are Champion. Not as good as Bosch IMHO....other people could have differing experiences. The mechanism and motor is Magnetti Morelli (not sure of spelling) also inferior to Bosch. On the later 147, only Bosch systems are used.

I have not used RainEx at all so cannot comment ...car companies do not allow its use in testing because of adverse effects in some conditions. They have looked at similar glass treatments in the past but no car manufacturer that I know of has adopted it for new cars.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Sunbar.
Do you reckon most wiper ploblems like the one I have had is down to deposits on the windscreen. Even with new wipers?

Pete.
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-06
AO Silver Member

Member car:

MiTo TwinAir Sprint

Originally Posted by Irish147
Sunbar.
Do you reckon most wiper ploblems like the one I have had is down to deposits on the windscreen. Even with new wipers?

Pete.
Most of the problems (at least those you can have any effect on ) - Yes.

Water is a very good lubricant for rubber onto glass.

Add rubber/oil/grease film contamination on the glass and its very different. Glass after a few months gets a lot of very fine scratches - perfect for any build up of contamination and difficult to remove. Most of this you can't see.

The only other question I would ask - Is the noise in both up and down directions. Could be that the arms are bent or worn.
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 27-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Thumbs Up Re: Skipping & Chattering wipers.

I was only getting the skipping and chattering on the back sweep. Gave the windscreen another two applications of the glass polish early on saturday morning and an hour after I was finished the heavens opened so I thought this would be a very good time to test the wipers. I headed first into the city to check the intermitant wipe, the wipers were like new..totally silent. I then headed out to the motorway to check them at speed where I was getting chattering at 70mph+. Again silence...if anything the get better the more you use them. Another plus was while overtaking trucks which is usually a pant soiling activity in heavy rain. I had the wipers on their fastest setting..the rain would sheet off the windscreen, I definitely could see more. Good stuff this polish.

Pete
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 27-03-06
alfa_147_jtd_16v

I just changed my wipers on my 147. They weren't spilt, but they kept on scraping every 2 weeks, despite cleaning them with Meths on each occasion.
Looking at ePer, there are about 7 or 8 varieties!!
When I went into the parts dept to get mine, the guy who I spoke to (who really knows his stuff) said it was critical to get the correct (original) blades for the car.

Therefore, if you go to Halfords, or buy on eBay etc, you will not necessarily get the ORIGINALS you had on the car when it was made, even if they are the same manufacturer.
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 27-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

156 Sportwagon 2.0 Veloce

What polish are you peeps using? Have new inserts in mine and they are dreadful. Is there a particular brand of glass polish that is best or does it not matter?
Help its driving me crazy!!
Cal.
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 27-03-06
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

156 GTA SW + CMax 1.8

I have found that cleaning the glass with windowlene house window cleaner stops judder and squeaks. It needs to be done after a good wash. Also neat white vinegar will de-grease the screen very well, just don't get it on the blades. I do vinegar, then rinse, then windowlene. Never a judder. This fixed the same issue on my old 155 which was notorious for knackered wipers!

Andy

PS Agree with the newspaper trick it is true. Use locals, not dailys as the dailys use non-graphite inks. Also use a non-colour page as the black inks on that are non-graphite as it tends to bleed colour!

2003 Miro Red 156 SW with CDA, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit springs, 330 Brembos with drilled GT discs and anthracite teledials.
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 28-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Hey Calumdonkey.
The polish that I have been using is Turtle wax glass polish. That being said if I had my choice I would use the old style windowlene (the old pink liquid) it was bloody brilliant stuff....

Pete.
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 28-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

156 Veloce & ZX9r

Has anyone tried the PIAA's Silicone Wipers?

http://www.piaa.co.uk/wipers/wipers.asp

They are supposed to give a coating like Rain-X and Last 3 years.

A friends has them on his Toyota and swears by them.

I am in the process of ordering a pair

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
chattering, skipping, wipers

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2011 ALFA ROMEO...
2009 59 alfa romeo...