VDC System Failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 25-01-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 Selespeed

Help VDC System Failure

Hi all!!

When I took my 147 into the dealers for its 24k service (out of warranty) I told them about the VDC system failure messages that i've been getting. When i collected it, they had charged me £35 to re-assemble some angle sensor connection.

I didn't know at the time that this is quite a comman fault in cold weather, related to high drain on the battery, and sure enough this morning (damn cold outside) the error comes back....

Question is....... is it worth me going back to the dealers and

a) demanding my money back (i can put it towards my next set of suspension bush's)

b) demanding they look again for free (loud beeps in the morning disturb me)

c) forget it (dealers need all the money they can get to feed their starving children)

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 25-01-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 Selespeed

Re: VDC System Failure

forget to say... i'm still lovin my 147 (it must be very special indeed, i would have driven any other car off a cliff by now)
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 26-01-06
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Originally Posted by davefromdevon
me £35 to re-assemble some angle sensor connection.
Sounds dubious ... but I'm no expert

b) demanding they look again for free (loud beeps in the morning disturb me)
I'd go for this ... but make sure they don't find something else and fix it and suddenly charge you for it

#4 (Post Link)  
Old 26-01-06
AO Member

I was getting those annoying errors a lot recently, mostly on cold damp days. I think that now I haven't had another one it's something to do with the battery charge - I shall explain....

My alternator went south last week and since it was replaced I haven't had a problem at all. Basically I think it was on it's way out for a period of time. As my battery died completely various warning lights came on, even though the car was ok, the return charge from the sensors to the ecu was not high enough to register. Since my sensor hasn't been touched I think that could be it.

'52 2.4 JTD
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 26-01-06
alfa_147_jtd_16v

Hi there Dave,

Hi had EXACTLY the sme problems as you, down to the very detail you have explanied!

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=41389 (VDC System Failure...again!)

What I had not posted on here, was how I got on.
I ended up taking the car back, as I felt I had to get them to spend more time looking at it as I'd paid for it to be fixed and it hadn't!
It went in and Examiner traced it to a connector in the steering column. Basically on a anumber of 147's, the connector and cable are twisted very tightly around the column and with the aid of dampness, set off the error. I was incredibly sceptical I have to say when they told me this, but suffice to say its not come back at all for nearly 3 months now (touch wood).
Take it back...it will be worth it in the long run trust me!

Oh! and I need my suspension bushes replacing too!
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 27-01-06
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 147 2.0 Lusso

Hi,
Have had the same problem myself! The cars been back to the dealer (under warranty) 4 times to get this fixed but it's still doing it.

Now I'm fed up and just ignore it since it doesn't happen all the time, maybe I'm being stupid here but I'm sick of the sight of the dealer!

jmg
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 28-01-06
alfa_147_jtd_16v

Originally Posted by alfa_147_jtd_16v
Hi there Dave,

Hi had EXACTLY the sme problems as you, down to the very detail you have explanied!

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=41389 (VDC System Failure...again!)

but suffice to say its not come back at all for nearly 3 months now (touch wood).
Whoops...this is what happens when you tempt fate....this afternoon going down the road, guess what happens? Yep VDC failure
Oh dear its back after 3 months. Funny though as the other day I was driving in -6/-7 degrees and no problem at all.

I have Examiner and a laptop, but no interface to connect it to the car. I couild otherwise diagnose the problem myself. I buggered if I am going to take it back and get them to sort it at a cost of 35-75 quid an hour!
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 31-01-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 Selespeed

Whoops...this is what happens when you tempt fate....this afternoon going down the road, guess what happens? Yep VDC failure
Oh dear its back after 3 months. Funny though as the other day I was driving in -6/-7 degrees and no problem at all.

I have Examiner and a laptop, but no interface to connect it to the car. I couild otherwise diagnose the problem myself. I buggered if I am going to take it back and get them to sort it at a cost of 35-75 quid an hour!
Thats bad luck!! Mine hasn't happened since posting this thread (why do i tempt fate like this)

As anyone any suggestions though as to where i stand with the dealer (see 1st post)
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 01-02-06
alfa_147_jtd_16v

Touch wood (again!) it has not come back, but then again I have been trying my theory of turning the ASR off for the first 5 minutes of every journey first time each day. I will continue to do this for the remainder of the winter to see once and for all if this is a reliable method.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-06
AO Member

Touch wood (again!) it has not come back, but then again I have been trying my theory of turning the ASR off for the first 5 minutes of every journey first time each day. I will continue to do this for the remainder of the winter to see once and for all if this is a reliable method.
I tried that - didn't work!

Just got one the other day so I tempted fate as well but no more so far. In this weather you need all the help you can get as well so it's annoying.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-06
alfa_147_jtd_16v

Yep, its blimin annoying. Everytime the ICE warning comes up or the fuel gets low, the heart races!
Got job I have not had a heart by pass operation

If you drive along with it, its just constantly on your mind and you want to get a sledge hammer and destroy the blasted BOSCH electronics to smitherines (preferably in the direction of Germany somewhere ).
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 18-02-06
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147 Lusso 1.9 JTD M-Jet

Hi all!!

When I took my 147 into the dealers for its 24k service (out of warranty) I told them about the VDC system failure messages that i've been getting. When i collected it, they had charged me £35 to re-assemble some angle sensor connection.

I didn't know at the time that this is quite a comman fault in cold weather, related to high drain on the battery, and sure enough this morning (damn cold outside) the error comes back....
Yip Same thing happens to me, Cold Damp mornings, 20 secs of driving, and BEEP BEEP VDC Failure, ABS, ESP all turned off, Nice ! Cold+Damp=Ice=Need ABS.

Took mine to dealer.. under warrenty they "Checked and Recalibrated Steering Angle and Checked Pump" Not sure how this related to fixing an Electical probem. Nor did they. Two day later BEEP BEEP "VDC Failure". I recon it's a doddgy wheel speed sensor, but i know nuffin.

But glad it's not just mine that's doing it.

ShiftyBloke
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 19-02-06
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 14
County: Neath Port Talbot

Member car:

V6 Brera+GT+Spider S4+500

All this reminds me of the troubles I once had on my Fiat Stilo with ESP (pretty much the same car).

It was nearly always the brake pedal switch on the Stilo so I guess it could be the same on the 147

Worth a try!

Cheers,
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 19-02-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 Selespeed

I had it again tonight!! but under slightly extreme circumstances ..... I hit a huge lake in the road doing about 70mph. The car skidded around in the road a bit and felt like it was going to snap in half! Then i got a Beep beep beep " VDC System Failure" and "ABS System Failure". They both went though after driving on.

The car is fine now and you never know, it may fix the error for good!
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 30-03-06

Member car:

I suggest those with this error get the brake switch checked... I had this 2mths ago. The mech clean the contact and reset the error. It stay okie until this morning. And I cant engage the selespeed when this error pop up..Its because the ECU could not sense a signal that the brake is working, therefore, it doesnt allow the selespeed to engage the 1st gear..

Towed the car back to agent and they told me they do not have the stock for the faulty brake switch and I have to wait ...

What to do?? they clean the contact again and guess what.. out of the garage, the error appears again...drove back, but agent also cant help as they have no stock, so they asked me to hold it for now.. ..
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 27-02-07

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Manual

Funny thing...when my brake switch failed the car started stalling. New brake switch = care running ok again. Bizarre.
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 27-02-07
mikebrown

get it at least a couple of times a week...ignition off, re-start...all is well...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
failure, system, vdc

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2005 alfa romeo 147...
2003 53 alfa romeo...