*HELP* Climate Control Panel Woe - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 11-03-12
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

156 SW 1.9 JTDm Veloce

*HELP* Climate Control Panel Woe

Thanks to Trashbat and Chris156 who have helped me dismantle my dash to get at the climate control panel. I'm trying to replace the sensor. However with bits of dash all over the shop, I can't get the sensor out, I've tried a variety of wiggles and twists but it hasn't come out. I'm reluctant to apply any force until I know exactly what I am supposed to do...

Anyone got any ideas? I'm hoping to get a response in time so that I can rebuild my car in daylight. Got to get to work tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 12-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.9 JTDm Veloce

Grrrr!!!

Looking at the replacement part, it seems as though I need to push it in a little, twist a little (clockwise if you are looking at the front of the control panel) and then pull out. But will it come out? Will it 'eck! Am I doing this right?

I haven't got the wires out of the back yet either. But I'm hoping that will become easier when the sensor is actually free, but in situ it is not clear if the plasatic clip needs to go up or down to release. My fingers really are too fat for this sort of thing.

Guidance really appreciated. I don't want to snap anything.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 12-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 Spotwagon MJet

Just pull it out. It will be stiff but it does just pull out.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 12-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.9 JTDm Veloce

Got it, at last! (thanks dhillon, good to be reassured a little force wasn't going to hurt).

Put the new one in. Went for a spin. STILL DOESN'T WORK!

I have noticed something though. 16.5 blows hot. I turned it up to HI to see if (what was reported as 16.5) was FULL hot... I think it was, as near as dammit. However turning back down from HI to 16.5 gets me cold air. Hurray! But only for a couple of minutes. Boo! It creeps back up of its own volition to thermo-nuclear, whilst retaining 16.5 on the display. Setting it to LO blows proper cold air for as long as I want.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that disconnecting the battery for a few minutes might reset something or other. I will try that this evening (I've got screwdrivers here with me but no spanner). But if that doesn't work... what is my next step? The outside temperature sensor, which I believe is in the wing mirror, is reading 11 degrees C in the console display so I'm guessing that is okay. Am I likely to need a new climate control panel? Or is there something under the bonnet that might need attention?

Edit to note that I understand 16.5 is higher than 11, and in that circumstance I would understand a *bit* of heat... but until this went wrong recently I have never noticed it blowing hot quite so vigorously in 5 years of owning 2 156's...

Last edited by Ayrton5; 12-03-12 at 15:12.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 12-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 Spotwagon MJet

Well I have exactly the same problems with my climate control as do a number of other members. I am taking my car to the dealers to have it checked out. When did your fault occur? How did it come about?
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 12-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.9 JTDm Veloce

Done a battery disconnect reset, more in hope than expectation. No good.

There is no event I could identify as being the start or the cause of this. One day, about 10 minutes into my journey, I realised it was stiflingly hot, even though the panel was still showing the 16.5 I always have it at. And over the course of a couple of days fiddling about, I realised there was nothing I could do about it.

I'm in my car for an hour and a half or more every day, and this is really doing my head in. I'll try pretty much anything to get this fixed now.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 13-03-12
Grahameo

Other possibilities in likely order:
Outside temperature sensor faulty( I have known it to have a bearing on internal temperature readings) As Pat (Lacken156) suggested.
Or an air lock in the coolant system could be causing it...
Faulty control panel itself.
Beyond that it's either an ECU discrepency or a sticking flap/valve in the heater blower system
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 13-03-12
Lacken156

in behind the centre panel is a small fan, which can become full of dirt & grit, that may have stopped rotating therefore causing false readings for the thermostat which is part of the fan assembly.

have you got to see that fan yet? it can be cleaned out using compressed air.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 13-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.9 JTDm Veloce

What's the thing toward the front of the car right in front of the battery? It has a cover with 7 squares on it. In 4 x 2 format the bottom right box says "A/C COMP" and the bottom left is missing. When disconnecting the battery I had a look under there, and there were red and black things in each 4 x 2 slot *except* the bottom right. Is that a problem? Or is the diagram on the cover a mirror image of what is beneath?

Clutching at straws I know but that is where I am right now.

Edit:
I'm waiting for a tap on the shoulder from the thread police (embarrassed smiley). But this is from the other I started back along, that I forgot about:
Originally Posted by mr-mac View Post
It's behind the two little vents below radio...

Also may be worth checking the water temp sensor for climate control has not become unattached or is fubar.
Having eliminated the little vents, where is this water temp sensor, and what does it look like?

Incidentally having had the benefit of an hour's drive to work this morning, having swapped the console sensor yesterday, I would have said that 16.5 wasn't blowing quite so hot as before. That is not a scientific measure by any means. Would that make sense? I wouldn't have thought changing a part could get it half right again.

Last edited by Ayrton5; 13-03-12 at 17:20.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 13-03-12
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

'05 156 JTS 2.0 Ti

Is this with the aircon on and/or off (frost symbol button)? My replacement panel sort of does this with the aircon off, though I haven't noticed it recently.

What did you do for the battery reset? There's a proper procedure to follow - 5 minutes disconnected, 5 minutes of waiting, 5 minutes at MAR, etc.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 13-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.9 JTDm Veloce

Did post 6 (ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!!) on here. Is that the same thing? Doesn't have 5 minutes at MAR in that one. There are that many different theories in that thread! Will try again with MAR at the end.

Last edited by Ayrton5; 13-03-12 at 20:11.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 13-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 Spotwagon MJet

Well I am taking my 156 with exactly the same problem to the dealers on Saturday morning, I really can't be arsed with this problem anymore, it is taking the fun away from my sportwagon.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 13-03-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 156 JTS 2.0 Ti

Originally Posted by Ayrton5 View Post
Did post 6 (ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!!) on here. Is that the same thing? Doesn't have 5 minutes at MAR in that one. There are that many different theories in that thread! Will try again with MAR at the end.
Yeah, that. I found that for 5 minutes after reconnecting, it did nothing at all (no sounds), whereas with the key at MAR it did a lot of stuff that I wouldn't want to interrupt by starting the car and thus cutting off the electrics for a second.
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 13-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.9 JTDm Veloce

Originally Posted by dhillon View Post
Well I am taking my 156 with exactly the same problem to the dealers on Saturday morning, I really can't be arsed with this problem anymore, it is taking the fun away from my sportwagon.
You're not wrong, my SW is driving really nicely at the moment, it really does feel full of beans, but the pleasure is severely tainted.

I've done another reset, leaving the ignition on MAR at the end this time. I heard it busily clicking and whirring so it was doing something, but after I'd left it I didn't even have to get off the drive to know it wasn't fixed.

I've been to Intaservices twice with this. To be fair they've charged me next to nothing and they have stressed they don't want to put me to the expense of speculatively changing parts. Fair enough. But I'm still in a hot car. I think I'll give Dave another ring tomorrow and see if he has any more ideas but if not I will also have to think about the main dealers.
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 13-03-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 156 JTS 2.0 Ti

Where are you?

How good are you with a soldering iron?

Is the air con on or off, and does changing it change the problem? (obviously needs engine running)
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 14-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.9 JTDm Veloce

South Leics.
What's a soldering iron?
Air con on or off makes no difference.
Outside sensor is reporting accurately on the centre display so hopefully that can be ruled out.

I've had a word with Dave at Intaservices. They have done a bit of exploratory work a couple of times when they have had the car for other stuff. As far as he can work out the water temp sensor is working ok. He's measured it for resistance across a range of temperatures and he thinks it is all good. If it is sending the signal to the control panel, and we have now ruled out the in-cabin sensor, he is thinking it must be be climate control panel itself that is at fault.

Ideally he would like me to take the car in so that he could swap it out for a spare and see what happens, but he doesn't have one right now, and if I waited till he did I'd have the inconvenience of getting the car to them, and if it did turn out to be the control panel I'd still have to buy one.

Or I can just order one from Autolusso for £48 and try it out for myself. At that price I think it is worth a go. If that doesn't work and I do have to go back to Intaservices after that, well at least something else is ruled out, but FINGERS CROSSED for the new panel, eh?
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 14-03-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 156 JTS 2.0 Ti

I was going to say that I have a spare one that I know works, with the exception that the driver's side temperature wanders upwards (display and all) which is a common fault that has to be fixed with re-soldering.

There are other sensors at play here by the way; a sunlight sensor for one, mounted in the top of the dash. Somewhere there is a thread detailing exactly what makes up the system.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 14-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 Spotwagon MJet

Well, I am on my third replacement panel, so I doubt it is a panel problem or an air temp sensor problem. As soon as I turn the temp down, I can hear and also see both side motors turning and moving the air control/temp flaps, but then all of a sudden, they go back up to full heat, and yes the only way to get cold air is to set the temp to cold, setting it to 16.5c is like an oven! I will hopefully have it sorted at the dealers on saturday morning. And I have a fully functioning climate control panel for the facelift 156 if anyone wants to buy it off me.
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 15-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.9 JTDm Veloce

B****r. I was getting quite optimistic as well. You did say earlier you were going to the stealers on Saturday. I should have waited for the outcome of that, shouldn't I?
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 15-03-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 156 JTS 2.0 Ti

Have you checked the connection at the other end of the cabin sensor wire, into the firewall I think? I'm sure you have but I had the clocks out today and spotted what I thought was that, and it made me wonder. It may have been something else entirely, of course.
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 15-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 Spotwagon MJet

I have had the climate control panel out and the stereo out, which wires are you referring to? I have checked all the wires under the passanger side and drivers side footwells and I can't see anything amiss. Ugh!
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 15-03-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 156 JTS 2.0 Ti

The cabin sensor is that barrel thing that fits into the climate control panel; well its wiring disconnects at the sensor but I think that at the other end it's a connector in the wall behind the climate control panel. I didn't have the panel out at the time so couldn't be sure.
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 18-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.9 JTDm Veloce

I bought a new climate control panel from Autolusso, it had a temperature sensor on the back of it, I plugged it in, went for a drive, and you know what, all good

I've got the same car as dhillon (right down to the colour), and the same problem. I feel like we've been brothers in arms against this problem, and I'm sorry mate I don't have an answer I can share with you. All I can give you is this...

The top one is the original. Compared to the bottom one you'd think the problem is straightforward to identify. However putting the bottom one in didn't give me a functioning system. I had to swap the control panel itself as well. This suggests to me at least, and what do I know, that the panel and the sensor were BOTH fried by whatever event occurred two months back.

Your mileage may vary, and I don't know how this fits in with what the stealers told you yesterday, but it is all I can offer. Hope you get an answer soon.
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 19-03-12
Lacken156

Originally Posted by Ayrton5 View Post
I bought a new climate control panel from Autolusso, it had a temperature sensor on the back of it, I plugged it in, went for a drive, and you know what, all good

I've got the same car as dhillon (right down to the colour), and the same problem. I feel like we've been brothers in arms against this problem, and I'm sorry mate I don't have an answer I can share with you. All I can give you is this...

The top one is the original. Compared to the bottom one you'd think the problem is straightforward to identify. However putting the bottom one in didn't give me a functioning system. I had to swap the control panel itself as well. This suggests to me at least, and what do I know, that the panel and the sensor were BOTH fried by whatever event occurred two months back.

Your mileage may vary, and I don't know how this fits in with what the stealers told you yesterday, but it is all I can offer. Hope you get an answer soon.
That controller board seem to have a few issues associated with it. Its also known for an issue where the dual indicators don't work.
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 11-09-13
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

AR GT 1.9jtd 2004

Im also having some problems with my y. 2000 156 V6. If the temperature is set to 21 for example it starts blowing hot and doesnt stop even when its well above 21. If I lower the temperature to say 16 it starts blowing cold until Im freezing
I tried unplugging the battery but didnt wait on MAR for 5 minutes so will try that tomorrow.
Im suspecting the cabin sensor though so I wonder how do I go about replacing it? Did some exploratory surgery today (removed the console) but I dont see how I can get the AC panel out without removing some of the dashboard?
It seems to be screwed to a metal bracket and there doesnt seem to be enough space to get it out without removing that also? Unfortunately i didnt take any photos while it was disassembled...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
climate, control, panel, woe

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2005 Alfa 156 2.4...
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

My Latest Transport

View Verbout's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
AO Club Members have access to more site features.

Click Here to compare the differences.

New To Site? Need Help?