Unable to jump start 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 18-12-11

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Unable to jump start 156

My wife had a baby so I've been driving her car for a few weeks instead of my 156.

The battery seemed to be flat so I've just tried to jump start it but it won't work.

I used a small Toyota for the charge, could that be the problem? Or is it likely to be something more sinister?

A few dash lights came on but there was nothing else at all.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 18-12-11
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD, 2.0 JTS S.W

Remove the battery and charge it (for at least 24hrs), if that fails replace the battery and ensure you have fuel in the car. Sounds basic but you have to start somewhere.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 18-12-11
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa romeo gt 1.9 jtdm

+1 for biffa's advice........take it of and charge it first.......jump leads just boost the power slightly.....if ur battery is dead flat then it wont work

if u have not got a charger ask friends or buy one...they are worth it for times like this
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 18-12-11

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Brilliant, thanks gents.

Definitely got a full tank.

Will get on to borrowing a charger.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 18-12-11
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4, Corvette LT1

If it's dead flat putting the leads on and leaving the car running for good while, (about long enough for a cup of tea!) should put some charge back into the dead battery. Do this before trying to start it.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 18-12-11
AO Gold Member

County: Principe

Member car:

156 V6

Never had issues jump starting a car with a dead battery

As said, go have a brew once its all connected up & donor car running and give the dead battery a chance to get 'juiced up'
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 18-12-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Guilietta 170bhp diesel

be really careful if you use a battery charger in the house, the cheaper chargers can ruin a good battery if left on for too long. I have to agree with everyone else, unless your jump leads have a lot of corroision on them it should be faily easy to jumpstart a car with just a flat battery
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 18-12-11
Grahameo

Not on an Alfa JTD it isn't... Not recommended to jump start anyway, the power spikes involved aren't regulated and can fry your ECU.... But if you must try it, it must be a an engine and battery combination of greater amp/hr cranking capacity than your own... or you might as well pee against the wind.....
Example: your car is say 1.8 and 65 amp/hr, their car 2.0 and 75 amp/hr then you'll be fine, make sure that you jump charge for at least ten minutes before attempting starting... Even a healthy battery and alternator on the doner charge vehicle will take at least 4 minutes on tick over to replace the cranking amp charge they used just to start their own engine up!
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 02-01-12
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

156SW Sud TIX Sprint GC

Originally Posted by Grahameo View Post
Not on an Alfa JTD it isn't... Not recommended to jump start anyway, the power spikes involved aren't regulated and can fry your ECU.... But if you must try it, it must be a an engine and battery combination of greater amp/hr cranking capacity than your own... or you might as well pee against the wind.....
Example: your car is say 1.8 and 65 amp/hr, their car 2.0 and 75 amp/hr then you'll be fine, make sure that you jump charge for at least ten minutes before attempting starting... Even a healthy battery and alternator on the doner charge vehicle will take at least 4 minutes on tick over to replace the cranking amp charge they used just to start their own engine up!
Good advice
My 2.4JTD was stored for around 2 months and when I returned to her even the central locking didn't work. I could not "jump" start it with my 1.5 alfasud sprint so I got my local indie to go to it.
They fitted a new battery (it had been new around 18 months ago) under warrenty and didn't even chagre me for the call out
I did a trip to see the in laws over in France which was a round trip of 1100 miles then she went back into storage (driving the sprint for the "summer")
When it was time to change over (around 3 months) again she was flat. I tried to jump start her from the sprint again (tried for 15mins at 3000 rpm) no chance.
It then dawned on me that my jtd probably required 60 + amps to turn the engine over and the sprint ledd than 20
Phoned the wife for her 1.9 jtd - started frist time

Thing is we have just spent new year at a holiday park - 3 nights and the battery is flat once agian
The AA man said the battery was good (but only had 5 volts charge) and started it first go with his booster pack. he checked for any "drain" but found nothing
Has any body else had a problem with leaving thier car for over 2 days?????????
Could it be the "famous" alfa electrics strike agian
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 02-01-12
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

only jump start with surge protection leads or ya can cook both cars ecu ..................
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 03-01-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

164/155V6/156/147JTDm,Imp

Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
only jump start with surge protection leads or ya can cook both cars ecu ..................

"can"........I've jumpstarted Alfas dozens of times, and jumped other cars off the Alfas, and never had any issues.....

Has anyone actually ever had a problem, or is this an urban myth, just repeated by internet knowledge? I'd agree that its best to follow manufacturer instructions, and connect pos to pos, and earth to earth - on the engine block rather than the battery.......
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 03-01-12
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

It is certainly happens on some cars. Later Rover diesels (eg my old 25) have the ECU right next to the battery and its easy to brush against the case with the +ve from the donor car and fry the output stage. Whenever the weather was extra cold there always seemed to be someone posting their car was dead after an attempted jumpstart. Thats direct damage rather than a voltage surge though.........

Keith
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 03-01-12
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
"can"........I've jumpstarted Alfas dozens of times, and jumped other cars off the Alfas, and never had any issues.....

Has anyone actually ever had a problem, or is this an urban myth, just repeated by internet knowledge? I'd agree that its best to follow manufacturer instructions, and connect pos to pos, and earth to earth - on the engine block rather than the battery.......
It is not a myth and it happens more often than people think.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156, jump, start, unable

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...
2011 Alfa Romeo...
Alfa Romeo GT...
L@@K~JUST...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Img-20140716-wa0003...

View kevingt's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
We take privacy seriously, this is why we advise you to check your privacy settings by visiting your profile area and selecting "Profile Privacy".

New To Site? Need Help?