Sounds like a flat tyre but it isn't - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 22-02-11
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS

Sounds like a flat tyre but it isn't

Got a problem that sounds like a flat tyre but it isn't. When driving in a straight line its a little noticeable but on steering right it's very loud and quite strong vibrations. Turning left isn't so bad but more noticable than going in a straight line. The problem isn't noticeable until I hit 30mph. Last night while under the bonnet I noticed that on the both passenger and driver side above the wheel arch there are meant to be 4 or fives bolts coming through, one with a large washer however on the passenger side the one with a washer is missing completely?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 22-02-11
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

'01 156 Selespeed

Sounds like a wheel bearing on it's last legs. Touch the rims after a drive and check if any of them is significantly hotter. Jack up the car and check if you can wiggle any of the wheels.

Last edited by Cosmo156SS; 22-02-11 at 12:17.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 22-02-11
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS

I had a wheel baring go just after I bought the car but this sounds a bit different. I will jack the car up this evening and check for wiggle - Would the wiggle be backwards and forwards if looking side on to the car?

Here are the photos of the bolt and washer missing...

Here is the drivers side:
http://piczasso.com/i/4suo7.jpg

Here is the passenger side:
http://piczasso.com/i/7u5s7.jpg
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 22-02-11
AO Member

Member car:

'01 156 Selespeed

Originally Posted by James 156 View Post
I had a wheel baring go just after I bought the car but this sounds a bit different. I will jack the car up this evening and check for wiggle - Would the wiggle be backwards and forwards if looking side on to the car?
Any direction is possible. They can also make a lot of noise even if there's no slack. If the sound gets louder when you turn in one direction and fainter in the other, it's very likely the bearing. Do you use original rims btw?
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 22-02-11
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS

No they are 18 inch - although after damaging one on a pothole the other day I am thinking about buying a set of 17inch of the same style. I have spoke to the owner of the car who put the alloys on the car (a couple before me) and he said that while he had the car he never had a baring fail. Being over 10 years old now and all original barings except one I changed when buying the car, i'm guessing the failing is more to do with age than stress.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 22-02-11
AO Member

Member car:

'01 156 Selespeed

Being over 10 years old now and all original barings except one I changed when buying the car, i'm guessing the failing is more to do with age than stress.
Like everything else today, it's not made to last. Changed one of mine after 140000km's.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 22-02-11
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Golf 2.3 V5

Broken spring?

Is the car the same height at both sides at the front?

You will have to measure from the center of the wheel to the wheel arch to get an accurate measurement.

PS: Your pictures don't work.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 22-02-11
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS

As I've got the spare on at the mo I will measure the height tomorrow when I pick the wheel up. Pics should work if you click on them. Not sure how to embed them.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 22-02-11
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Golf 2.3 V5

The pictures do work on my home PC but they are slow to load.

I looks like an issue with the top mount on top of the spring/Shock assembly.

Unfortunatley I don't have a 156 to have a look at, but maybe hitting the pothole has damaged the part of the top mount where the upper wishbone pivots?

This could be allowing part of the suspension to rub the tyre.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 23-02-11
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS

They load very slow on mine to - imageshack wouldn't load on my work computer so had to resort to some other site.

When I pick the alloy up tonight I will ask if anyone there know what the bolt/washer thats missing does - Couldn't check the wheel to see if there was any play last night as I've lent my trolley jack out so will pick it up tonight and have a looksy.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 23-02-11
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

Got a problem that sounds like a flat tyre but it isn't. When driving in a straight line its a little noticeable but on steering right it's very loud and quite strong vibrations. Turning left isn't so bad but more noticable than going in a straight line. The problem isn't noticeable until I hit 30mph. Last night while under the bonnet I noticed that on the both passenger and driver side above the wheel arch there are meant to be 4 or fives bolts coming through, one with a large washer however on the passenger side the one with a washer is missing completely?!?
wheel bearing ,lower arm , get under your car and have some one turn wheel laeft to right and back(engine off key in ) and look at lower arms to see if theres any movement
as for your missing washer eh nope youve gained one

also check your lower bush hasnt collapsed in housing where your suspension fork is could be twisted in mount and loading suspension can induce noise
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 03-03-11
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS

Finally got the car into a garage as I couldn't find any play in the wheel (not that I really 100% know what I'm looking for) but they phoned and said that the wheel bearing is completely knackered. They said it was so bad they don't recommend driving it (maybe I shouldn't have had the spritly drive in this morning! Problem is they can't get the part in until near the end of the day so I'm going to have to take it back off them today and drop it back off tomorrow morning as I don't live in the same town as the garage.

They also found out where my exhaust was blowing from...I knew it was towards the front between the drivers door and the engine and was worried it was going to be very costly but it has turned out to be the gasket between the manifold pipe and the next section (i think) so less than a tenner!

Exhaust gasket replaced and front drivers side wheel bearing parts, labour and vat all in £230.00. Seeing as the bearing is £70 ish and the gasket around £10 the rest is labour it seems quite reasonable - I remember watching the Alfa Workshop using an angle grinder on my other wheel bearing last year and spent ages trying to get that off and replace it so I know it could take some time.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 03-03-11
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

MiTo 1.4TB 155hp Veloce

That missing fixing or whatever is normal, my car is missing it on both sides.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
flat, sounds, tyre

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa Romeo 156 JTD...
Alfa romeo 147...
2002 alfa romeo 156...
2007 Alfa Romeo 159...
2008 alfa romeo gt...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Alfa 159

View paul.o's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?