exterior door handle broke :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 18-04-10

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 JTS

exterior door handle broke :(

Hi guys
yesterday when i opened my GT my door handle broked
exactly the hinge that holds handle on the door

so if anyone has that hinge, or maybe some used handle .. pliiizzz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00017.jpg (24.7 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00020.jpg (30.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00021.jpg (27.9 KB, 225 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 18-04-10
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

a l p h a

Re: exterior door handle broke :(

i think they are 50 on ebay for the handle. not sure what else it comes with

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 18-04-10

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 JTS

yes, i saw them on ebay. must ask if it comes with that hinge because the hinge is what i really need..
thanks
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 18-04-10
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Member car:

GTA track slag & JTD 20v

If you buy from Autolusso they come with the hinge.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 18-04-10
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

147 1.6 lusso

the handle is made out of chocolate i think. seen that many threads about broken handles im a bit paranoid about opening my door now.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 18-04-10

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 JTS

that hinge is made of aluminium... so sucks
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 01-05-10
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

GT1.9 JTDm Q2,B12,Eibach

£65 inc VAT I paid from the dealer, took a couple of hours to change.

Steps to change GT door handle, the 147 is pretty much the same.

1. Remove all screws on bottom edge including the one in the light
2. (Driver's side only) Remove screw in middle of door card below arm rest, this screw secures the electric window switch node.
3. Remove electric window switch node, this just prises out, disconnect plug(s) to node.
3. Undo allen bolt that is revealed by removing switch node.
4. Use a very small screwdriver or maybe a stanley blade, to lift up an edge of the blank in the interior door grab handle, once you have something to get a decent screwdriver behind prise out the blank. These are easy to mark as is the handle itself, some members order replacement blanks in advance and simply drill a hole in the existing blank and lever it out. The part numbers are RH #735351270 and LH #735351271 or #71775574 for the pair.
5. Undo allen head bolt revealed by removing the blank.
6. Pull off interior triangular trim that covers the mirror fixings.
7. I also removed the mirror, 3 x torx bolts but looking back I don't think this was necessary.
8. Remove popper from interior, top, rear edge of door. If you can get this off without breaking it, let us all know.
9. Use a small head screwdriver to prise the circular blank behind the interior handle that opens the door.
10. Remove screw revealed by removing the blank and remove the black plastic door handle surround.
11. The door card is now just held on by the poppers on the vertical edges, carefully prise the edges away from the door, these seemed to be much more forgiving, not one of them broke.
12. Disconnect door light connector.
13. Grab both edges of the card and rock it up and off the door.
14. Peel the rubber at the top rear edge of the door from around the 1 popper revealed by removing the card and the 3 poppers above the lock mechanism, I didn't try to prise the poppers out after breaking the one on the top. It's not possible to do the top one this way it has a much larger head.
15. Lift the rubber and exterior weather strip that runs the length of the exterior top of the door up and off.
16. Remove speaker(s)
17. If you hadn't already read in the forum, be amazed that your Bose system (if fitted) has no tweeter, but there is a coiled up connector for one.
18. Use a Stanley blade to cut the adhesive that holds the foam sheet in place, needs to be folded out of the way about halfway down the door. Use a blade to cut it neatly round the sockets for the door card poppers....these didn't look they were going to move.
19. Remove window. Sounds drastic but it's only 2 nuts and one bolt. You may need to reconnect the switch node and position the window so you can get at these through the holes, 1 x 10mm nut on the bottom front edge, 1 x 10mm bolt and 1 x 10mm nut directly above it on the bottom rear edge. Mark the position of the nuts/bolt with tippex or similar so that when you refit the window it goes back in the same place.
20. Lift out the window.
21. 10mm spanner in your piano tuner's hand to undo the nut behind the exterior door handle hinge.
22. Undo 1 x torx bolt adjacent to the 3 x poppers revealed by removing the rubber and weather strip.
23. If you're doing the driver's side (like me) there are 2 x rods connecting the door handle to the lock mechanism. If you peer down into the the door you can see the clips on the rods connecting them to the lock mechanism. Unless you have forearms like Popeye you can reach in and push the clips outwards to release the rods.
24. The door handle is now free to be removed, it first needs to slide toward the front of the car and then wriggle the handle out of the hole. If it's proving hard to get it moving insert the bolt from step #22 a couple of turns and tap it gently with a hammer.
25. Swap the lock barrel over. To do this you need to release the curved metal armature that is rocked when you pull the door handle. It has to be levered out of the black plastic cradle that passes from the outer to the inner of the handle. Undo the 3 x screws on the inside of the handle, finally there is a U shaped clip that needs to be prised out that releases the lock barrel from the holder.
26. In true Haynes style put it all back together in reverse order. It was proving difficult to get the handle back in the hole with both rods connected, I found it easier to remove the rod that operates with the key, insert the handle and then push the rod in using long-nose pliers from the the top. You'll need some sort of adhesive for the foam sheet, a hot glue gun is great for this.

The part number for the popper in the rubber on the rear, top edge of the door that broke is 14591987... 0.90p (ish).

Additional. Can't believe it's getting on for 4 years, time flies.

In that time a cheaper fix can be had providing only the front hinge has broken. If the door handle has come off in your hand you'll have to go through the above.

Fiat now provide a replacement hinge for the Fiat 500 door handle and is pretty much identical to the 147/GT hinge part No. #51939041 (same part number for both sides). I've read this replacement part is only good for the GT and the Facelift 147 as there's a difference in the in the way the hinge mounts to the handle. You can see in the image below the screw hole where it attaches to the handle is at an angle...

51939041.jpg

...whereas the pre FL 147 (and possibly very early GTs) has a hole at right-angles to the hinge.

As far as the steps above are concerned the door card still has to come off so as to undo the nut on the broken part of the hinge. It'll be tricky to remove and replace the hinge with the handle still on the car, you'll need an angled screwdriver or, if you have one of those screwdriver bit sets, use the appropriate bit and a ring spanner. For the time it saves and not running the risk of scratching the paintwork it's not much more bother to take the handle off.

Some have reported this replacement causes the hinge end of the handle to sit proud of the door by a couple of mm, others say it's a perfect fit. Maybe those reporting it sitting proud have fitted it to an pre FL 147 or early GT, despite all the threads on the subject it's not clear what the issue is.

All the best

Pub

Last edited by pubsinger; 03-02-14 at 22:31. Reason: Additional info regarding Fiat 500 Hinge
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 01-05-10
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
If you buy from Autolusso they come with the hinge.
Just a quick question...
Are you the official autolusso advertiser ?

Ric

Last edited by RS232; 30-05-10 at 13:39.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 01-05-10
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD16V

4. Use a very small screwdriver or maybe a stanley blade, to lift up an edge of the blank in the interior door grab handle, once you have something to get a decent screwdriver behind prise out the blank.
Dont do that... you will make a dent in your door handle and that cant be replaced without replacing the whole door card.
Drill a hole in the middle of the blank to remove it and then replace with a new blank. It is too cheap to take any risks.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 02-05-10
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT1.9 JTDm Q2,B12,Eibach

Originally Posted by TribesMan View Post
Dont do that... you will make a dent in your door handle and that cant be replaced without replacing the whole door card.
Drill a hole in the middle of the blank to remove it and then replace with a new blank. It is too cheap to take any risks.
Yeah, you may be right. Although I removed mine without leaving any marks on the main grab handle.

Although very tactile the handle does mark easily, and it does spoil the look of the cabin somewhat. As you say, shame it's not replaceable.

Frankly I find it quite disgusting they can't manufacture a door handle that lasts. One grudgingly accepts that things wear out on cars and need replacing from time-to-time, but a door handle hinge, stroll on.... it's not as if it takes any stress or has a demanding job to do.

All the best

Pub
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 03-05-10
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Member car:

GTA track slag & JTD 20v

Originally Posted by RS232 View Post
Just a quick question...
Are you the official autoluso advertiser ?

Ric
Yes - well I do work there
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 03-05-10
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

147 1.6 lusso

Originally Posted by pubsinger View Post
Yeah, you may be right. Although I removed mine without leaving any marks on the main grab handle.

Although very tactile the handle does mark easily, and it does spoil the look of the cabin somewhat. As you say, shame it's not replaceable.

Frankly I find it quite disgusting they can't manufacture a door handle that lasts. One grudgingly accepts that things wear out on cars and need replacing from time-to-time, but a door handle hinge, stroll on.... it's not as if it takes any stress or has a demanding job to do.

All the best

Pub
+1 but thats what you get when you buy an alfa
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 11-05-10
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9JTD Moon Blue

Oh s**t, mine has just broken too!
About 2 weeks ago the front bracket casting on the drivers door handle broke, so I could still open the door if I was careful....unfortunately I forgot to tell the wife and she just pulled the handle completely off, snapping the other casting (looks like black plastic). Now I can only get in via the passenger door Now it's either ebay or a dealer!, and I will have a go at fitting it myself....thanks for the info Pubslinger
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 12-05-10
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

147 Manual

If you dont push too hard - a self tapper screw and a tie wrap into the black plastic bit can help you out until you can change it! I pushed too hard - and pushed it into the door!

Best regards

JJ
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 13-05-10
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9JTD Moon Blue

Thanks for the tip Judge, unfortunately the plastic bit has gone into the door. The easiest way to get in is reach accross from the passenger side and open the drivers door, then walk back round and get in!
I have ordered a new handle from local dealer for £54.70 +VAT, and will fit it myself this weekend.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 13-05-10
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT1.9 JTDm Q2,B12,Eibach

Originally Posted by MartinGuitarMan View Post
Thanks for the tip Judge, unfortunately the plastic bit has gone into the door. The easiest way to get in is reach accross from the passenger side and open the drivers door, then walk back round and get in!
I think you'll find the easiest way is, when unlocking the door with the remote, keep your finger on the button for a few seconds and both windows will open, reach in and open the driver's door using the interior handle.

Always seemed odd to me that the windows don't close when holding the button to lock the door, seems a far more useful feature....but then, that's Alfa for you.

All the best

Pub
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 14-05-10
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD16V

Re: exterior door handle broke :(

Early versions of 147 had this feature (closing windows with remote) but it was later removed for safety reasons...
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 15-05-10
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9JTD Moon Blue

Ok I managed to fit a brand new drivers door handle today - Quite a fiddley job, and thanks again to Pubslinger for the detailed instructions. I would like to add that the window needs to be set back in the same position as before with the 2 nuts + 1 bolt otherwise it snags on the pillar rubber. Mine needed some adjustment but now all is well.
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 22-05-10

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Argh! I tried to change my locks but after swapping everything over, the key turns in the lock but won't lock or unlock! I have check that both rods are connected at both ends, and everything seems to be moving within the door, but no lock/unlock. I am fed up with it now, but really can't afford to pay a professional to sort out my mess
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 30-05-10
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4JTD, 2.0 TS Spider

pubsinger - thanks for the detailed set of instructions which you posted.

I repaired the handle on my daughters GT last week with a piece for the broken hinge which I carved out of solid aluminium with a Dremmel. At £80+ for a new handle I figured that I could spend some time in making a new part, but if someone could get new hinge parts cast then I think it would be a good item to sell, judging by the number of broken door handles which seem to crop up. I even managed to get the popper from interior, top, rear edge of door out without breaking it. The instruction list was perfect but I would add that it would be a good idea to mark the positions of the window bolts/nut to ensure that the window goes back in exactly the right place.
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 05-06-10

Member car:

Just to add, having now completed the switch, that you don't need to remove the window! Using my hand through the bottom hole and a screwdriver through a small hole in the door I was able to unclip and reclip the connector rods just fine.
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 15-06-10

County: Devon

Member car:

147 door handle

hello can any one help me please the hinge on my 147 has gone as well what i would like to know is will a hinge from a 159 handle fit the 147 thanks
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 17-06-10

Member car:

I don't know but I now have some spare 147 handles that I was going to put on eBay if you're interested...
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 13-07-10

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

alfa 147, alfa GT jtdm

villager, do you have a passenger door handle for a gt ? if yes how much you want ?
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 07-11-10

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

GT Blackline, 145 QV

Hey,

Just wanted to say thaks for the excellent step by step instructions for this, had to change my drivers side handle this weekend.

Used these and 'HOW TO DO - Removing Door Cards on GT' thread (good step by step with pictures) to complete.

To add a note of these instructions, i too managed to complete without removing the window (dont know if this does save time as removeing the rods and getting to the nut for the back of the handle is even more of a PITA). Good news on the nut is that for me it only needed 1/4 of a turn with a spanner before you could loosen with your fingers.

As the window was still in place I disconnected the rods at the lock end (note that the plastic clips on these rods arent half difficult to get to seperate!!).

25. Swap the lock barrel over. To do this you need to release the curved metal armature that is rocked when you pull the door handle. It has to be levered out of the black plastic cradle that passes from the outer to the inner of the handle. Undo the 3 x screws on the inside of the handle, finally there is a U shaped clip that needs to be prised out that releases the lock barrel from the holder.
I have no idea how you managed to release the metal armature from the crandle, i spent some time trying to achieve this and it became like one of those linked ring puzzles you find in crackers (and I am usually quiet good at them!). What i did manage was that with the 3 screws removed you can pull the metal section away from the outer trim and then drop the lock barrel into the back of the hole in the outer trim. this then lets the metal back plate (still with armature in crandle) swing over the top of the barrel end and then the lock barrel can fit in it hole. Then screw back together the back and from trim.

Did manage to fit the handle with both rods attached, best way is to poke the rods in first than guide the handle towards the door, (make sure the rods dont fowl on anything inside the door). Then angle the handle so that the front of the handle is further from the door skin and hook the end location protrustion (one that uses the torx to attach it along door shut) in and around the inside of the door, then extenally push down the spring loaded armature (or pull handle to also lower this) this will then allow it to fit through the hole in the door. This should then have the handle 95% in place, just need to locate top and bottom edges and you are done.

Total time from start to finish was 1hr 50mins

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
broke, door, exterior, handle

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...
2011 Alfa Romeo...
Alfa Romeo GT...
L@@K~JUST...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Project Halo Uk -...

View JabawokJayUK's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
We take privacy seriously, this is why we advise you to check your privacy settings by visiting your profile area and selecting "Profile Privacy".

New To Site? Need Help?