p1742 selespeed fault code please help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-10

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

Help p1742 selespeed fault code please help

Hi, i am now the proud owner of a lovely 156 selespeed. Only problem is after only doing 100 or so miles it went into safe mode on the selespeed gearbox so i only get 1/2 and reverse. After reading numurous threads on this site i went out and bought a cable and the alfadiag software. I hae read the code that is showing and it is p1742. I have searched high and low for the diagnosis of this code and cannot find it anywhere. There is another thread from a year ago but no solution. So i thought i would register and see if i could find a solution as when i have been able to drive this car what a joy it was.

I have tried various things on the alfadiag but to no avail. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated or if anyone has repaired this fault or knows how to i would be over the moon. Unless it means i need a new actuator

Many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-10
AO Member

County: Brandenburg

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS Selespeed

Does this help?

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ode-p1742.html (Selespeed Fault code P1742???)

Findus
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-10

Member car:

unfortunately this is the same problem but no resolution. All i need to know is which sensor it relates too??
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-10
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

147 1.6TS, BMW 320d

From what I can gather, it's one of the selection range sensors on the actuator.

There are 3 iirc (black plastic things - I'll post a pic later). The electrical connections might need cleaning, or if that fails they can be found on ebay for £40 each (also try a fiat dealer though - they seem to be able to sell actuator parts, whereas AR will only sell the complete unit ).

You can try swapping them around to determine which is faulty, or measure their resistance with a multimeter. I forget what normal ohm-age is though... Under or around half-to one kOhm rings a bell...

If you're cleaning the electrics, do the 20-way block that connects the sele loom to the main loom as well.

Breaking X-Reg 156 1.6 TS. Most parts available.

S'cuse me, while I Kiss The Sky...
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-10
AO Member

Member car:

The post and iainfm's answer basically tell the same: the sensors!

You may want to follow that road....

As iainfm told us, to get to the sensors ist simple...

Findus
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-10

Member car:

Thanks guys, i will be giving that a try on saturday as when i finish work it is dark. I hope it works so i can have some fun again. I have never drove anything that is so much fun!!! Will post results
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-10
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

V6: 166+75, 2.0: 145

said sensors on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-Selespeed...item45f0d5b436

HTH
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-10

Member car:

if i were to swap these sensors around would it through a different fault code?
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-10
AO Gold Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS, BMW 320d

Info on how to test the sensors (and lots more) here:

Alfa Romeo Selespeed - measuring sensors
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 04-02-10

Member car:

just to update, after many different tests it turns out that this fault code relates to the sensor on the rear of the accumalator, if you get a code of p1741/p1742/p1743 it is down the the three sensors. By uplugging each individual sensor it will throw different faults and then you can establish each sensor working or not working.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 04-02-10
AO Gold Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS, BMW 320d

Originally Posted by matt bowland View Post
just to update, after many different tests it turns out that this fault code relates to the sensor on the rear of the accumalator, if you get a code of p1741/p1742/p1743 it is down the the three sensors. By uplugging each individual sensor it will throw different faults and then you can establish each sensor working or not working.
Good stuff. You know which one to change then!

The rear one's the up/down sensor, which is kinda similar to moving a normal gearstick left and right.

Try a Fiat dealer. They *might* be able to get it for you, or there's the ebay link above
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 04-02-10
AO Gold Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS, BMW 320d

From what I can make out, the p/n of the potentiometer is 71719387. That's for a Fiat Stilo, anyway.

ePer price is £31+VAT, so not much cheaper (if at all) than the eBay price.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 05-02-10

Member car:

thanks for that, i have just put a thread on what i have found out. The said sensor is exactly the same as a throttle position sensor for a sxo vts/106 gti 16v. So a scrappy £10 each or new £30 each. It looks like they are common. It sounds like if your selespeed goes into ''safe mode'' it is a sensor fault and if it wont engage gears it is either stuck in gear/pump/actuator. If it is skipping gears then alfadiag and calibration from what i can see. I have read so many threads this week and to be honest with you i am no longer scared as anybody is fairly confident would be able to replace these parts with the help of alfadiag.

ALFADIAG is the way to go, before anything else people need to buy a cable and this software as it will save them money in the long run and help to maintain there selespeed by doing checks/service monthly. It only takes 30mins.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 05-02-10
AO Gold Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS, BMW 320d

thanks for that, i have just put a thread on what i have found out. The said sensor is exactly the same as a throttle position sensor for a sxo vts/106 gti 16v. So a scrappy £10 each or new £30 each.
Now THAT's useful info. And they'll fit nicely into pockets!

ALFADIAG is the way to go, before anything else people need to buy a cable and this software as it will save them money in the long run and help to maintain there selespeed by doing checks/service monthly. It only takes 30mins.
Couldn't agree more!
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 06-02-10
AO Member

Member car:

I've discussed this development briefly with our Selespeed guru, and his advice is caution. He says, there is a difference in reliability between Magnetti Marelli and third party sensors.

Btw: there are sensors in eper for the punto with the part number 71737620 (or 71752610 for Grande Punto) which are cheaper but it appears that all those sensors for dualogic/selespeed in eper are the same, despite the different numbers (and prices)

So given the delicacy of our beloved robotic transmission it seems (as i see it) advisable to stick to the original parts.

On the other hand, maybe it really works. If you try it, keep us posted.

Findus

Last edited by findus; 06-02-10 at 09:22. Reason: Part number for Grande Punto
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 06-02-10

Member car:

Hi findus!! You will find that the throttle position sensor for a saxo vts/106 gti are magnetti marelli and are identical to the selespeed sensor. I know this as i went to the scrappy this morning and took one of a 106gti and fitted it. Guess what works perfect fault gone calibration done! Smile on my face like the first time a slept with a bird!! Tell a lie its actually a bigger smile!!

So for anybody out there please bear this in mind as if you get one from scrappy it costs you hardly anything, then when this cures the problem buy one brand new and you know that you are not wasting your money!!
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 06-02-10
AO Gold Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS, BMW 320d

Originally Posted by findus View Post
I've discussed this development briefly with our Selespeed guru, and his advice is caution. He says, there is a difference in reliability between Magnetti Marelli and third party sensors.
Yep. 3rd party ones are more reliable.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 06-02-10
AO Member

Member car:

Then its settled. And its good news.

Please keep us informed upon this subject (the reliability of said sensors)...

Keep up the good work

Findus
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 06-02-10
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

V6: 166+75, 2.0: 145

cheap selespeed fix shock

and a dealer would charge £1500 for a new acctuator no doubt

who said Alfas had to be expensive to run

great work

BTW pity the poor woman who provides less pleasure than a £10 scrapyard sensor.......
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 19-08-10
AO Member

County: Auckland

Member car:

156 and 1974 Spider

ok, just to confirm the price difference, In New Zealand I used this part number to get a quote for the local Alfa dealership (who confiremd it was the same part for the selespeed), the quote i got was nz$556+12.5%Gst..that equates to around 220pounds...not cool
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 19-08-10
AO Member

County: North East

Member car:

2004 Alfa 156 2.0L JTS

very interesting thread. Suffered for a whole year from the same. Will revisit the area and I hope it works for me too.
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 17-07-11

County: Victoria

Member car:

p1742 fault flashing in 5th gear

potentiometer pf2c theres three of these on the actuator i replaced all 3 fixed problem. can be sourced cheaply on ebay , i brought lowe brand , it did the trick around 30 us dollars each search for pf2c used on many fiats etc cheers
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 17-07-11
Bastek333

Originally Posted by capone156 View Post
potentiometer pf2c theres three of these on the actuator i replaced all 3 fixed problem. can be sourced cheaply on ebay , i brought lowe brand , it did the trick around 30 us dollars each search for pf2c used on many fiats etc cheers
I agree with You - Is MUCH better to buy new pf2c sensor than mess with second hand ones - the trouble with them (original ones to) is wear of the carbon track - it mean that it could be difficult to spot the problem even with measuring it by multimeter....
In my occasion i found my dead sensor by long time logging by FiatEcuScan only one parameters at time - then the reading is exact - i found that after about 30min drive sensor started mess around and give unstable log line.

I spend 30 quid for new sensor and problem GONE

But watch 2 things when You will try to change it - one is the torx screws are difficult to undo with not very good access to them, and dont try to move to far shaft when You take the sensor out - shaft have spring inside - i managed to snap it i think but fortunately pf2c sensor got spring working in the same direction that now sensor is doing all return work.
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-11

County: Victoria

Member car:

hi i had 2 faults first 1 was my clutch speed sensor which is on the gearbox if look from under the car u will see 2 electrical connections the lower 1 is your reversing lights the upper is your clutch speed sensor that was faulty, replaced it and i was able to get 3rd and 4th gear also with alfa diag u will need to clear fault codes to reset the selespeed before u can try and drive the car again. also i replaced 3 potentiometers pf2c if u take your battery tray out u will see the top of your actuator u will see some solenoids plus 2 potentiometers plus there is another 1 at the back of the actuator on the firewall side. search ebay for pf2c and u will see what they look like . try cleaning the connections with contact cleaner before replacing if your dubious. access is very limited

Last edited by capone156; 18-07-11 at 08:31.
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-11
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 Selespeed SP2

hows the bird nowadays ???!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
code, fault, p1742, selespeed

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...
2011 Alfa Romeo...
Alfa Romeo GT...
L@@K~JUST...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Project Halo Uk -...

View JabawokJayUK's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?