Oil Heat Exchanger - 147 Oil Leak - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 30-12-09

County: Greater London

Member car:

147 TS Lusso Selespeed 2L

Oil Heat Exchanger - 147 Oil Leak

Hi All,

I have alot of oil located around the oil filter of my alfa. It is absolutley everywhere and has also seaped into the cambelt enclosure area which i would prefer not to have, as hydrocarbons and rubbery materials donot mix (especially as i am fitting a new cambelt). I have looked around on numerous forum pages and sites and have become disheartened as no specific information except by a new heat exchanger.

I have subject the excanger to a low air pressure test and submerge in water with the result of no air bubbles present.

Is it known that the link between the engine block to heat exchanger adapter is not entirely oil tight?

Also, if i by pass the heat exchanger how would this effect the car and temperature. Has anyone done this before and if so could you tell me the effects this has had.

Thanks
edward
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 30-12-09
CraigM

I would clean it up as best you can and then take it for a short drive and have a look and see if you can source where it is leaking from. I'm assuming the oil filter has a good seal on it?
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 31-12-09
AO Member

County: Stara Zagora

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0TS & 3.0V6

Originally Posted by e.shulver View Post
Also, if i by pass the heat exchanger how would this effect the car and temperature. Has anyone done this before and if so could you tell me the effects this has had.
I drive my TS already 2 months that way.
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMG_4150.jpg
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMG_4149.jpg
I have separate water temp sensor installed, oil temp and press too. Absolutely no visible change in the way water and oil warms. Temps also in normal range.
Friend of mine has faulty exchanger, water mixed with oil, he open and rebuild his engine twice before able to fix this. 1500EU expenses for 10EU part.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 31-12-09
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

147 1.6TS, BMW 320d

I've got a used heat exchanger, if you want that... Easy enough to fit. Disconnect water pipes, remove filter, undo 21mm (IIRC) nut under it, remove exchanger. Refitting is the reverse etc etc!
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 02-01-10

Member car:

Originally Posted by iainfm View Post
I've got a used heat exchanger, if you want that... Easy enough to fit. Disconnect water pipes, remove filter, undo 21mm (IIRC) nut under it, remove exchanger. Refitting is the reverse etc etc!
Thanks i may take you up on that.

I have done a test on the exchanger by putting a low pressure on the input and sealing the output, Then submerging under water, Absolutely no air leakage.

Unfortunatley i have to abandon my car at my folks place for the next three weeks as my time away from work has come to an end. Back to a small economic engined family car for a while!
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 15-01-10

County: Cheshire

Member car:

ive noticed this on mine gonna whip it off on sunday and give it a dose of rtv silicone sealant see if that cures it also noticed since i dropped the oil last that theres a little seepage from the oil drain so ill prob drop the oil and gunk that up and add a new seal
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 16-01-10

Member car:

Originally Posted by monsterob View Post
ive noticed this on mine gonna whip it off on sunday and give it a dose of rtv silicone sealant see if that cures it also noticed since i dropped the oil last that theres a little seepage from the oil drain so ill prob drop the oil and gunk that up and add a new seal
Let me know how you get on and if it solves the problem. One week and i can get back to my car and sort it out!
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 16-01-10
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

BMW 528i SE

Are you sure it is the heat exchanger and not the balance shaft oil seals?

It can run down and onto the heat exhanger making it look like it is leaking.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 17-01-10

Member car:

Originally Posted by symon View Post
Are you sure it is the heat exchanger and not the balance shaft oil seals?

It can run down and onto the heat exhanger making it look like it is leaking.
Not sure yet. havent had her running recently. But i beleive it is not this as i have a small gap where on the cambelt/ balancer belt covers and oil has got into that and the oil mark can be seen migrating in a downward pattern.

When i get her running again ill get leave the belt cover off until i can verify that its not the balancer shaft oil seals.

Thanks for the suggestion Symon.

Has anyone had the headgasket go causing the oil leakage? The compression is still reasonable for the car.

Cheers.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 19-01-10

County: Cheshire

Member car:

got dragged out shopping to the trafford centre complete waste of time so waiting for weekend to come free now as the cars never here !!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147, exchanger, heat, leak, oil

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Ao Killarney Meet...

View David P's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking the small triangle on the right hand side of every post will take you to the top of the page.
Very handy as you can instantly reach the site navigation bar!

New To Site? Need Help?