Broken dipped beam connector and the rest....(156) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 13-01-09
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon

Broken dipped beam connector and the rest....(156)

Just after Christmas I noticed that my driver's side dipped beam was dead. So off I trotted to Halfrauds for a new bulb.

Next step was to remove the old bulb. No problem I thought. Most cars are awkward as you have to undo the clip blind and you require a double jointed wrist and hands the size of a young child, but never the less not impossible.

I get the clip undone and then as I remove the bulb from position I feel something bad........a loose wire. Oh dear. One of the wires to the bulb connector has become detached. Balls

Then as I try to retract the bulb from the connector it completely crumbles in my hand!! The connector had got so hot that it had partially melted and become so brittle that it just crumbled between my fingers. I couldn't believe it. None of my previous cars has had anything like this happen. The actual bulb is fine it was the connector that had failed

The annoying thing is that there isn't enough length on the wires to solder or crimp a new connector on in situ and I'm damned if I'm going to get on the cold wet winter floor and remove the front bumber to get the headlight out. Which means I'm going to have to stomach the cost of getting my mechanic to do it.

Has anyone else experienced this or is this just a freak incident on my 156?

I really wanted to prove to all my friends and colleagues who doubted my sanity when I bought the Alfa and that they aren't as bad as everybody says, but I'm really struggling at the moment. The car's not quite 5 years old yet and it is coming up with a hell of a lot of issues that I have never experienced on my other cars that have been at least as old if not older and with more mileage. I'm starting to lose faith

I know this is only a minor issue really and doesn't stop me driving the car, but all of these things start to mount up:

Re-con driveshaft
New thermostat
ABS and VDC lights on
Knocking from ARB links
Weeping rear damper and hence dodgy handling at the moment
MSCF at 3000 rpm and then limp mode

It's all getting a bit much.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 13-01-09
AO Gold Member

Member car:

164/155V6/156/147JTDm,Imp

Re: Broken dipped beam connector and the rest....(156)

Are you sure you can't get at the wiring sufficiently to patch another connector on....I've done it on a mate's car when I managed to knacker the sidelight bulb holder wires when changing the sidelamp bulb.....did it with a scotchlok IIRC.....

Don't know what mileage your car has done, but apart from the electrical issues the other things seem to be perfectly possible on any car with average mileage.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 13-01-09
0of0

Sorry to read your bulb woes - I haven't had to find the technique or probs changing them yet

Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
Don't know what mileage your car has done, but apart from the electrical issues the other things seem to be perfectly possible on any car with average mileage.
Agree with RGWM on this point
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 13-01-09
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon

Hi RGWM,

I'm just feeling sorry for myself today. You're right that these things can happen on any car, and I've said as much on this very forum in other threads. Every car I've owned has had some sort of issue, and that spans from brand new cars to youngish supposedly 'premium' brand cars to old bangers. The sad thing is not one of them has had quite as many issues as this Alfa and I guess that's what eventually gets you down. My Alfa is at 59k so certainly no spring chicken, but only just middle aged.

I love cars and I love the Alfa. I don't mind working on cars either, but it can become tedious when it feels like there is never a point when the car is fault free.

None of them is serious (although the ABS is an MOT failure as will be the light), and they will get sorted at some point.

By the way I notice you are in Padiham. My wife's mum grew up there. Small world.

I would also like to point out to any prospective Alfa buyers that my experience is more than likely NOT indicative of the norm. These owner forums tend to be mainly used by those of us with a problem. Not many people post with a comment saying, "my Alfa ran perfectly today."

Also the 175 bhp 2.4 JTD is a great diesel engine.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
beam, broken, connector, dipped, rest156

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2009 (59 Reg) Alfa...
Alfa romeo spider...