GEAR CHANGE TIPS - 147 SELESPEED - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 29-03-02
Steve 147

GEAR CHANGE TIPS - 147 SELESPEED

Having covered nearly 20,000 miles I reckon I've just about got the hang of my selespeed.

Thought I pass on a few tip

If your experiencing problems with rapid deceleration then exceleration and clutch slip try this.....

Don't allow the computer to change down for you - its too damn slow and you can't guarantee the clutch will be fully closed when you step on the gas for a fast get away.

Change down manually through each gear every time the rev's drop to 3000 rpm (produces a nice sound too!)

If you need to change down to 1st do so at about 2,500 rpm BUT make sure you do it a little in advance as it takes a second or so for the rev's to adjust and the clutch to close.

Its a bit trial and error on the timing but now I've got it perfected there's no more embarassing over revving and jumpy starts!

It you have any other tips let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 08-04-02
tallpaul

Thanks for those tips! I got my 147 Selespeed last week so still learning the tricks! Like you I realised early on that the computer takes forever to change down, I imagine this is deliberate to allow the driver to change down himself before the computer does it. Generally though, I find the gearbox very easy to use.
Any problems with the gearbox? I keep reading stuff on here about selespeed errors. So far I had one selespeed error in 2nd gear slowing down to a stop (in city mode). The error disappeared after a few seconds and the car carried on fine. No problems since (750 miles so far). Very pleased with is so far, I live in central London and the 147 is perfect for the traffic and wonderful once on the open road!
JOY JOY JOY!!!!
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 09-04-02
Mike D

I've found that if you let the Selespeed change down by itself the change point seems to be 1,000rpm except for 2->1 which doesn't happen until you come to a complete halt. I've now taken to doing the 2->1 change myself which braking to a stop. I've found that trying to get it to change down to first when pulling away in 2nd from a crawl takes a lot of effort - either brake again and risk a nose to tail or give it full throttle which produces a rather jerky response from the gearbox.

I think the secret to getting the best from the Selespeed gearbox is to drive it assertively. Drive it passively and you might as well have a proper automatic.

Cheers
Mike [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 23-04-02

I have been plagued with 147 Selespeed error warnings and difficulty selecting reverse gear for the best part of 20,000kms. It has been very annoying but only once did the car come to a halt in 2nd gear. The rest of the time I ignore the warning and it goes off when you get into 3rd gear. The reverse selection can be really annoying and can take several minutes to engage reverse. It sometimes needs engine to be switched off, or to move the car forward in 1st Gear, then select reverse. It seems to get "stuck" in 1st occasionaly? It all seems to depend on if the car is cold or hot!

Schus Nissan, the Alfa agents in Cape Town fitted a new (4 wire?) break pedal switch at the 20,000km service. The problem is now MUCH LESS than before and is acceptable. Lots of the electronics run through this switch it appears. I got the idea to get them to change it from posts on this site.

They have offered to order a new gearbox for free fitting if this does not solve the problem long term.

I do love this car though and City mode is fine for it's purpose of providing a smooth easy ride. If you want to drive it hard then the paddles are the way to go. Lots of fun on twisty roads around the coast here.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 23-04-02
147dude

Hm, mine has failed twice to engage 1st gear when I've stopped completely. Only noticed when the light turned to green, and looked at the display that it hadn't done it. Switcvhing it to 1st manually was no prob though, but still strange... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 23-04-02

Not being in 1st at the lights sometimes a happens if the light takes too long to change. Selespeed gearbox changes to neutral after a few minutes in 1st with no movement. It is a feature not a problem.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 24-04-02
147dude

When it doesn't change down to 1st at all it's a problem not a feature... (it was stuck in 2nd egar even though the car had been standing still for 10-15 seconds)...

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 25-04-02
Jongi

I have to say the auto change down feature is highly irritating for me as when driving a manual i always slow to the speed i want then change to the gear i want. I find that with the selespeed you have to change to the gear then brake (obviously not as basic as this). I have found though that after 6400km I'm 90-95% on top of it altho I sometimes find that i shift down one gear too much coz it has already started shifting down.

On the whole 2nd to 1st on auto changing down, I have found when I use the steering change down i can't force into 1st, but I can if i use the stick.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 25-04-02
garry

So there ARE definitely different characteristics between the paddles and the stick? Is this to avoid accidental shifts using the paddles?

Has anyone else noticed faster shifting using the stick?
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 29-04-02
147dude

I still don't think there are differences in speed btwn the two, they are still simple switches. I've found that on some occasions I'm able to change from 2nd to 1st using the paddles too! But anywayz you have to be under 10km/h to change down to 1st, acoording to my manual.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 29-04-02
Mike D

Not sure about the 147 but in the 156 Selespeed the steering wheel buttons don't work below 15km/h - could be the same with the 147?

The "feature" of the gearbox shifting to neutral after sitting still in 1st for a set period of time (not sure how long, but its in the manual) is darn annoying. Most of the light cycles in Wellington are short enough that the timeout isn't reached but there are a couple that will trigger the timeout. It usually hapens as the lights turn green, you hear the beep, beep, beep but its too late, you apply the throttle and all you get is a heap of revs. Quickly on the brake, into 1st and away. Must look strange to the car behind. I've now taken to shifting to neutral at the lights and moving to 1st when I judge the lights are just about ready to change to green.

But all those frustrating little "features" are soon forgotten once you hit the open road. This is where the Selespeed gearbox comes into its own.

Cheers
Mike [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 29-04-02
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

The only difference between the paddles as far as I know is that you can't select first gear with the paddles when you're travelling below 10 km/h (6 miles) and you can switch to first gear with the joystick.

And it's annoying when the gearbox changes to neutral when you're standing at a traffic light. But there's a cure: if you put your foot on the brake, it stays in first gear.

Selespeed
http://go.to/alfa147
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 30-04-02
MOSTR0

I have to disagree "selespeed".
In my car, if I sit for a certain amount of time in 1st gear and brake applied, the system does change to Neutral. It is something like 60~90 seconds, but it does so, even if the brake is applied!

Stef
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 30-04-02
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

busso powered

That's weird Stef,

It takes 60~90 seconds before it switches to Neutral. But if I put my foot on the brake before it switches to Neutral and keep my foot on the brake it stays in first gear. Even if the standstill takes five minutes.

I thought it was a feature of the Selespeed-transmission, like: hey, I know you’re still there and we are ready to go! But if this feature doesn’t work on your car, it can only mean two things. Or my 147 has a mind of its own or it is a real feature and yours isn’t working properly.

Can the Selespeeddrivers among us try this and tell the result?

Selespeed
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 30-04-02
147dude

I'll try it someday... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] It's not easy to stand still in the 147 for a whole minute just to test something, it always makes me want to push the pedal (no, not the brake pedal) !

I noticed once that when it changes to neutral it gives out a little beep to let you know, anyone else had this?
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 30-04-02
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

busso powered

You're right 147dude,

When it changes to neutral you can hear a beep.

Selespeed

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147, change, gear, selespeed, tips

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Ao Killarney Meet...

View David P's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
AO Club Members have access to more site features.

Click Here to compare the differences.

New To Site? Need Help?