rear caliper brake hose - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 22-02-08
AO Member

Member car:

156 selespeed

rear caliper brake hose

hello people, i have just been told my rear disk are too rusty and they all need replacing, now in doing so i have found the o/s rear caliper is busted.

so i tried to take it off, however the hose connected to it has seized and will not let me unbolt it with twisting the hose. (the nut on the end of the hose will not turn)

so obviously i need a new brake disks, pads, o/s caliper, and this hose...

can anyone tell me what the name and id is even the price if pos?

thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 22-02-08
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

146TS+Ti,156 Sele x2 + V6

Re: rear caliper brake hose

Rebuiding the caliper is far cheaper than replacing it, Seal kits should be available from a local factor as will be the discs and it'snot that dificult, pads and hoses (I recommend replacing both sides at the same time). Don't forget your bottle of DOT 4 brake fluid too.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 23-02-08
AO Member

Member car:

156 selespeed

Originally Posted by Smaky View Post
Rebuiding the caliper is far cheaper than replacing it, Seal kits should be available from a local factor as will be the discs and it'snot that dificult, pads and hoses (I recommend replacing both sides at the same time). Don't forget your bottle of DOT 4 brake fluid too.
is it easy to rebuild?
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 23-02-08
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

I got 2 calipers from a scrappy for £30 if that's any help, brake hoses aren't too expensive either but if you want to improve your peddle feel even more..get a set of braided hoses, u can pick them up on Ebay cheap enough!

You will need a caliper wind back tool for the rear calipers though.......
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 23-02-08
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

Did you phone round any scrapyards yet????
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 23-02-08
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

'98 156 2.0, '09 MiTo 1.4

To save phoning try 247spares.co.uk ... tell them the parts you want and they contact you!

I'd be wary of buying brake parts from a scrap car ... you are probably wiser to be recons - more expensive but at least you know there condition ... Car Brakes – Brake Parts for Cars or Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By are a good start.

What exactly is wrong with the original caliper? When you say it is broken, what is the problem? Is it the piston will not rewind? If the caliper body is cracked you might not be able to exchange it anyway. It has to be "servicable" so they can recondition it and sell it on like any exchangable part.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 23-02-08
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
To save phoning try 247spares.co.uk ... tell them the parts you want and they contact you!

I'd be wary of buying brake parts from a scrap car ... you are probably wiser to be recons - more expensive but at least you know there condition ... Car Brakes – Brake Parts for Cars or Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By are a good start.

What exactly is wrong with the original caliper? When you say it is broken, what is the problem? Is it the piston will not rewind? If the caliper body is cracked you might not be able to exchange it anyway. It has to be "servicable" so they can recondition it and sell it on like any exchangable part.
I've always bought spare calipers from a scrappy, but then again, we have a VERY trustworthy scrapyard in NI called Traynors, anyone from NI will vouch for them, quality parts delivered to your door for next to nothing, Like I said I got both my rear calipers from there, £30 delivered!! Perfect working order like every other part they've ever sent me!

Obviously I wouldn't get disks/pads/hoses 2nd hand, that's just silly!!!!
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 24-02-08
AO Member

Member car:

156 selespeed

are all calipers universal? or do they have to be alfa ones? and what is the hose called? i cant find it anywhere, thank you for your help
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 24-02-08
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

'98 156 2.0, '09 MiTo 1.4

Calipers are specific to the car ... they may be shared on other models and makes though.

156s had two different types of rear caliper and pad so you have to make sure you get the right version. Early cars had a ribbed caliper, and the pads are fitted with a spring at the top. Later cars had smooth calipers, slightly larger discs and pads with no spring and locating tabs about half way up.

Go to brakeparts.co.uk and use their online catalogue. They list both types of caliper and the flexible hoses.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
brake, caliper, hose, rear

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2003 alfa romeo 156...
2012 ALFA ROMEO...
Alfa Romeo 147 JTD
Alfa romeo gt 1.9...
ALFA ROMEO GT...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Img 0961

View ALFAPAT's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking the small triangle on the right hand side of every post will take you to the top of the page.
Very handy as you can instantly reach the site navigation bar!

New To Site? Need Help?