145 QV not turning over - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #26 of 39 Old 10-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi QV2, I will have a go at these checks.... just one thing attached a picture of a connector I found just floating loose around the code ECU area... any idea what it might be ? ... thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3956.JPG (54.6 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #27 of 39 Old 10-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi QV2, I started with the last two checks you suggested (coz there easy) and both pin 18 and pin 8 connector A engine ECU are showing 0 volts with ignition at MAR!
(Post Link) post #28 of 39 Old 10-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Forget that last post was doing it wrong... will try other checks
(Post Link) post #29 of 39 Old 10-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi QV2, at the risk of sounding very thick ... when I check the connector A on Engine ECU do I check to the pins in ECU body or holes in connector ?
(Post Link) post #30 of 39 Old 10-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

If its pins in body then there is 0 volts, and 12v if its holes in connector
QV2
AO Member

County: -
I'm not sure what that dangling connector is for off the top of my head. How many pins does it have and what colour are each of the wires? (maybe a couple more pictures from some other angles would be helpful). I can see yellow and black wires but it's not clear how many there are and I guess some of them are going to have a coloured stripe on anyway.

As for the voltages at the ECU, you need to be checking the voltages on the pin holes inside the connector plugs and not the pins coming out of the socket in the ECU, so your last test was correct and the fact you are getting 12v on them is as expected so at least it looks like the ECU is getting power.

Did you manage to check continuity between pin 8 of connector A on the CODE Immobiliser ECU and pin 16 of connector A on the Engine ECU (white and green wire)?
(Post Link) post #32 of 39 Old 10-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi QV2.. The connector is female and has 6 pots 4 being used and the wires are 2 plain black 1 plain yellow and 1 yellow and black.
Think i will need two pairs of hands for other check so cant do that untill tomorrow
QV2
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alannmss View Post
The connector is female and has 6 pots 4 being used and the wires are 2 plain black 1 plain yellow and 1 yellow and black.
The only thing I could think of in that area that it could be for is the rotary electric headlamp aiming adjuster switch. I've just got home and checked the workshop manuals and it is indeed for that. The switch is in a piece of dashboard trim directly to the right of the ignition switch (you can see a picture of it HERE). If your car has electric headlamp aiming then you will have needed to disconnect and remove that switch when you took off the piece of dashboard trim in order to get get access to the CODE Immobiliser ECU. If your car doesn't have electric headlamp aiming then there will be a blanking plate where the rotary switch normally goes and that connector will just be left disconnected and dangling around behind the dashboard.
(Post Link) post #34 of 39 Old 11-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi QV2, Thanks for the info on the cable ... I will check it out and hopefully also be able to run the continuity check on the pin 8 pin 16.
I spoke to Jamie at Alfa workshop yesterday to see if he could recommend a good mobile auto electrician that didn't run a mile when you mention Alfa.. No joy.... what he did say though was that no matter what the position was regarding the immobiliser/key code situation it would still turn over... what's your thoughts on that ?
(Post Link) post #35 of 39 Old 11-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! IT TURNS OVER !!!!!! What a complete numpty.... I had two plugs mixed up the large ones .. one plugs into socket on bracket mounted on engine the other plugs into socket on loom from fuse box ..I had them round the other way, so now everything is as it should be code light comes on and goes out, injector light goes out, now have battery and oil light working... not starting as yet so now I need to try and sort this monstrosity called multiecuscan out and put half the car back together, thanks so much for you help QV2 and im sure as arnie says.... "IL BE BACK"
AO Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! IT TURNS OVER !!!!!! What a complete numpty.... I had two plugs mixed up the large ones .. one plugs into socket on bracket mounted on engine the other plugs into socket on loom from fuse box ..I had them round the other way, so now everything is as it should be code light comes on and goes out, injector light goes out, now have battery and oil light working... not starting as yet so now I need to try and sort this monstrosity called multiecuscan out and put half the car back together, thanks so much for you help QV2 and im sure as arnie says.... "IL BE BACK"
Glad it was a simple fix. Let us know once it is back on the road.
(Post Link) post #37 of 39 Old 11-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi Tok78.... few goes on the key and its running now
QV2
AO Member

Well done

It can be a bit of a challenge trying to remotely/blindly diagnose problems, especially if someone has inadvertantly crossed some wires that you can't see

I was going to add that Jamie is correct when he said that the engine would still crank over even if the engine is immobilised. I've never actually tried to start my car with an invalid transponder (or no transponder) in the key. It is only the early cars where the immobiliser actually disables the starter motor. The immobiliser on later cars only disables the fuel pump and injectors so the starter motor will still work and the engine will crank over but it just won't fire up.
AO Member

County: Wrexham
Garage
Quote:
Hi... hope someone can help with this problem .. I will try to keep it short.
Bought this 145 QV off a guy on ebay with engine removed, did some work to it before putting it back in , Cam belt, clutch... I only have the brown master key for it.
Anyway, engine is now fitted but it will not turn over at all, dash all lights up no yellow code light but red injector light blinks once and stays on, can here fuel pump running for a few seconds but nothing still dead.
Have thoroughly cleaned the earth lead to gearbox and It has brand new fully charged battery fitted... any ideas guys ?
many thanks any help much appreciated.
Hi Alan,

Have I got your car recorded on the 145 / 146 register?

I'm after the following details:

Number Title First Name Surname Reg. Number Model Variant Colour Modified (Yes or No)

If you have an e-mail address and a photograph of the car that would also be excellent.

Thank you.

Yours

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

Tags
145 , turning