Alfa 145 TS fuel/starting problems - help. please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 26-09-07 Thread Starter
Not Happy Alfa 145 TS fuel/starting problems - help. please

I'm a newbie to the site and have to thank so many of you for the friendly welcome messages I've received.
My 145 has given little trouble over the past couple of years, but this week is playing up something serious.
It was running fine, then just died when I was driving. It would crank, then splutter out. Checked fuel level - OK. Repeated attempts failed, but after leaving it for half an hour it did the spluttering thing then finally restarted, ran for 20 minutes, and restarted no problem an hour or two later.
The following morning it did the same thing as before - cranking OK, firing and running for 5-10 seconds, then dies. It's stuck now, and won't drive, so I can't get it to a garage with diagnostic equipment. Havng read some other threads I thought it may be something to do with fault memory stuff, so striking out in the dark I've disconnected the battery this morning and will leave it for 8 hours or more before retrying, but I don't hold out too much hope that it'll work. I'm confues by all the talk about airflow bits and pieces, but would really appreciate absolutely any assistance - it's driving me round the bend (or at least I'd be happy if it would driveme anywhere right now).

Rich 145
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Re: Alfa 145 TS fuel/starting problems - help. please

Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn on the ignition before the engine starts? If not could be fuel pump relay or cut off switch beneath the passenger seat. I managed to knock the one on my QV by sliding the seat forwards too quickly.

The fuel pump relay is located under a black cover next to the battery. Sometimes the contacts on these corrode and cause all sorts of running problems.

The other issue that can cause the problems you descibe is the Crank sensor.

This has been covered before so try a search.

(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 27-09-07 Thread Starter

Hi Simon,
Many thanks for your input - and for pointing out where the fuel pump relay's located - I have tried the fuel cutoff switch, but the fuel's not entirely cut off, there's just enough to run the engine for a few seconds each time, but I'll look at that relay and check it out.
Thanks for your kind assistance.

This exact thing happened to me and, it the culprits were the relays in the black box in front of the battery - as pointed out above by our learned colleague above.

All the wires were stripped, cleaned and insulated then new spade ends were attached. Of course the relays and fuses were replaced - I've had no problem since, well, I've had lots of problems but none similar.

My Cloverlaef just used to cut out without warning and the injector light plus key code light stayed on. Sometimes, the lights woudl extinguish quickly and the car would start first turn of the key, sometimes not. I think the initial problem lay in the fact that the black cover fills easilly with condesation as it is only open to the bottom so I drilled a couple of small (note small) holes either side. No more condensation either.......

I think the problem is with your RPM sensor as that to my knowledge has something to do with your fuel injection system and that was what i was told by an Alfa Workshop who sorted my car out. If your car is still covered by insurance and has a mechanical warranty and you prove to them that its fuel injection related they would pay for it
alternatively it cost about R3000.00 to replace that sensor but i dont have an idea as to where about it is found. The car generally staulls after the senor heats up.

Good Luck

Hope i was of some assistance.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , alfa , fuel or starting , problems