Power Steering - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Power Steering

Hi there,

I was driving home tonight and noticed a burning smell. I looked down at the clocks and noticed the alternator light on and the steering wheel became very very heavy, almost impossible to turn. Got home and checked. Could not see much, but noticed the power steering belt had come off and that i gather is what caused the light to come on as the belt services the alternator as well.

Does anyone know what it would cost to buy a new belt and whether its very difficult to fit it?
Also... has anyone experienced something similar... was there more to fix than just the belt?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Re: Power Steering

£11.46 + vat and delivery if its non-aircon, from www.shop4parts.co.uk ...about £15.88 + + if it has aircon.

Just check if the tensioner or the PAS pump or alternator has seized to cause the problem......

Changing isn't a big issue if you have a long 15mm spanner to twist the tensioner......
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 06-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Sorry for asking, how do i check if the pump has been damaged. if i spin it and it turns, does that mean its still working?
AO Member

If something was burning, and you found out later the belt was missing it is in all likelihood that it was the belt burning.

A common problem on cars is the alternator jamming. The belt gets dragged over the alternator, or doesn't move and the pulley on the crankshaft just turns the belts. In either case, the belt gets too hot and falls off.

I would advise that you check all pulleys, tensioners, pumps etc. can be turned in BOTH directions by hand. If they cannot, then you should have located the problem component. It will need replacement. Alternators are really hard work to change, if it is that take it to a garage.

A new belt is really easy to fit, and just requires removal of the drivers wheel and the plastic wheel-arch liner. One of the pulleys is on a metal arm. If you put a 15mm spanner on the centre nut and turn (anticlockwise I think) it with lots of force, the tensioner arm will move, allowing the new belt to 'slip' over the last pulley you don't have the belt over (I would advise the last pulley to receive the belt should be the large, black plastic idler - I think this is the nearest pulley to the air con pump if you have it).

The 'power steering' problem may only be because you have no belt driving it. Once you have replaced the faulty component on the auxiliary system (I suspect there is one) the power steering pump will work again. Assuming it isn't the power steering pump that has seized.

I have had exactly the same problem, I am off to have a look to see if the belt is there after reading your comments...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

power , steering