Changed Clutch Slave Cylinder, Now Won't Start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-06-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

146 1.8TS

Not Happy Changed Clutch Slave Cylinder, Now Won't Start

Today I changed the Clutch Slave Cylinder because my my clutch had been 'sticking' to the floor sometimes, but was becoming more and more frequent. Anyway, I followed the excellent guide on this site ( and all went well - or so I had thought.
After having to input my security ignition code (by pressing the accelerator in sequence) the engine refuses to start. The code was accepted ok, but it seems there is still no fuel getting to the engine. I think the fuel pump is not running as I can no longer hear it activate when I try to start the engine. I can occasionally (about one time out of two) hear a liquid squirting/injecting noise from the engine, but I still have no idea what the problem could be.
I think the main problem is that the fuel pump is no longer functioning, but I just can't see why... Can anyone give me an idea of what to do?

146, 1.8TS, X-reg
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: Changed Clutch Slave Cylinder, Now Won't Start

Never used the throttle pumping code so not sure how this works.
Have you checked the fuel pump cutout switch under the passenger seal? Its got a rubber cover, push it in to see if it clicks.
AO Silver Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Try starting it with the red master key. The immobiliser may have thrown a wobbly and just needs a soft reset to fix.

Member car:

ALFA 146

I have a similar problem to yours. I changed the clutch on my alfa 146 2 weeks ago and ever since have been researching and troubling shooting both key codes and injection codes.
At first I was very confident that this was an issue with the immobilizer and been the proud owner of an alfa with no master key I felt I was royal ******. Having the option of paying the main Dealers, 1000 for a new ECU, Yellow box, Keys and locks or try to find someone who is some how able to bypass the immobilizer altogether.

On further research I found a very common problem with the 146 that is the wiring under the two red relays. This wiring corrodes and breaks usually happening when you remove battery i.e. change clutch. Did you remove the battery I sure you would need to, to get down to the slave cylinder.

If there is a wire Broke that is only the start of the trouble a number of people have to go through great lengths in order to rest the ECU codes. I have the battery removed from my car now with the positive terminal tie wrapped to the negative in the hope of resetting mine. I also have a yellow box out of the dash out. But anyway have a look at this relay,fuse and wiring.
Good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

changed , clutch , cylinder , slave , start