Alfa Romeo 146 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 12-01-15 Thread Starter
County: Oyo
Alfa Romeo 146

Dear forumites,

I am a Nigerian and bought one Alfa Romeo 146, 1993 model late 2013 and the engine has been giving me lots of problems. At first, I had to change the engine with a used engine of same capacity and suddenly after i had parked the car on one Friday, the following morning, the car had refused to start to date. Upon diagnosis, i was advised to change the outer sensor which i have done but result yet. Please the problem is that it is going supplying light to the plug area at all. Please and please, i need your assistance on this forum as i had parked the car in the last 6 months.

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Do you have sparks? Connect an old plug to one of the HT leads and lay it on a metal part of the engine. Then crank the engine and look to see if there is a spark.

Do you have petrol being injected? Connect one of the injectore leads to a multimeter or a bulb (those glass bulbs with the metal folded over tangs, like you get in the side repeaters can be made to fit into the injector connector block) and crank the engine. If the bulb/meter "pulses" then you have juice.

If you have no sparks but the injector bulb/meter is flashing then the problem is on the ignition side (feed to coils etc.) If you have sparks but no injection, then the problem is on the injection side. You'll need to investigate those relays and fuses etc.

If you have sparks AND injection.. is fuel actually being delivered? Remove one of the fuel supply hoses and crank the engine. You should get fuel coming out when the engine is turning over. Check the fuel shut off valve under the seat and the fuel pump relays if you have no petrol coming out.

If you have no sparks and no injection but the engine is turning over, the problem is the crank sensor.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Silver Member
County: -
1993 146 model?
AO Platinum Member
I'm guessing it's a 155... but the same checks are still valid.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , alfa , romeo