Sunroof Drain Tube won't unblock! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Sunroof Drain Tube won't unblock!

Hi all, asking more out of hope than expectation.

Had loads of problems with the sunroof on my 146, I've changed the roof itself.

I've checked both ends and it looks like the one way valves at the bottom has been removed.

The front drivers drain tube is blocked about 3/4ers of the way down- I've tried curtain wire, a drain unblocker and filling it with water and using a tyre compressor as an airline but the blockage is still there.

I've tried bicarbonate of soda to clear it and this hasn't helped.

My best guess is that this is a piece of rust from the old sunroof that is lodged in the drain tube.

Beyond trying a higher pressure airline (which I don't have) does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could try, a dry drivers footwell would be nice!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cheshire
I had this problem with an old Mitsubishi Shogun a few years ago, I took it to my local mechanic and he used an airline to blow through the drain tube. I know you said you don't have one but have you tried using one at your local petrol station, they are high pressure versions aren't they? If not maybe ask at your local tyre fitting place. In the mean time if you can park facing the right way on a hill that may help too.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Sunroofs on older cars are trouble waiting to happen.

Virtually every car I have owned with a sunroof has given me problems so i try to avoid them.

Just this weekend I used aquarium sealant to seal up the roof on my BMW as I was unable to stop the leaks or clear the drains. that coupled with disconnecting the switch should solve the issue...

Have you tried pushing some welding wire down the drains? Be careful though because if the drain tubes are plastic you risk puncturing them and allowing even more water in.
AO Silver Member
County: Landon Tan
Before I logged into comment there was an ad for water leak detection under your post, anyway back on topic, similarly I had the same issue a high pressure airline should help, what makes you think there is rust from the old sunroof, had the frame corroded in that corner? Strange you are getting water in the footwell, mine was backing up into the sunroof frame and was showering me every time I opened it. Good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

drain , sunroof , tube , unblock