146 never starts first time - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 22-01-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

146 T.Spark 1.8

146 never starts first time

Hi guys and girls noobie here. Sorry to Bi*&h on my first post but need to sort this asap...

146 T.Spark 1.8 2000 had it 2 weeks, Had problems starting, some erratic revving, gutless performance till 3000 rpm. (never starts first time, but key code light goes out immediatly, injector lights a little slow but do go out within 3 seconds, when driving no warning lights show)

Had a closer look found an aftificial earth coming from the MAF sensor to the neg of the battery (think its an earth?). Tried to use diagnostics (snap on if thats any help) but wont recognise ECU, my mate reckons this is because the MAF sensor in knackered and stopping the ECU from being recognised. Im not convinced that this is the case but im also not an expert by any stretch of the word.

My mate did a test on the MAF itself which did work and the graph showed a very spiky curve, he said that the line that represents the mass air flow shound be perfectly straight at idle and a smooth curve when revving.

I was planning to clean the MAF and if that doesnt work replace it. I have seen a few step by step guides but still cant figure out exactly how to clean or replace the MAF. Also would a dodgy MAF cause the diagnostics stop working?!? or is that a seperate headache?

Its a lovely car otherwise and would really hate to have to get rid so soon, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , starts , time